Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Oct 29, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #241 of 694
Great timing. I joined the drop. I needed a dac/amp for my new Surface 3 and wanted a simple USB powered DAC/amp for it. I hope it fulfills its purpose to substitute my HIfime USB DAC + Fiio a12A and Cyin C5 which I use with my Fiio X1 as well. I also considered the newer Hifime 9018D DAC but didn't want brighter signature. I'm going to use Fidelio X2, Denon ATH-MM400 and Focal Spirit Classic with it.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #243 of 694
The slim is plug 'n play with my galaxy tab s, it works great and has lots of power for my ad1k's
atsmile.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #244 of 694
Finally got my DACport HD yesterday
atsmile.gif

Some shots (please forgive the horrendous overuse of the default flash):

It will take me some time to form proper sound impressions, but at the very least I can say that it:
  • Sounds good to my ears - clean and detailed.
  • Seems a tiny bit less analytical and warmer than the Microstreamer.

A few things of note:
  • The unit runs hot, even on low gain, unless seated on something that extends the shell's heat dispersion capabilities (like my PC's chassis).
  • The gain switch is unreachable with just my fingers and requires something akin to a toothpick to operate (see last shot).
  • Like many others, I didn't receive a usb cable with my unit - luckily, I have 2 that are compatible.
  • The unit works like a charm with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with USB Audio Player PRO.
  • Win10 x64 UD driver observations on my PC (I hope these issues are fixed soon):
    • DirectSound doesn't work. Apparently, at all.
    • ASIO exclusive mode is lacking - while playing in ASIO, sound is still fed to the unit when other applications try to play sounds, causing crackles and interference with the ASIO thread.
    • The unit works properly as a windows playback device only when both the unit and the windows playback settings point specifically to 384Khz and 32bit.

That's all for now.
M. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #245 of 694
  Will this work on Nexus 6? Thanks!

If the Nexus 6 isn't plug and play, it should be able to work with the DACport Slim via USB hub, such the Cute USB Mini 2-port Hub.  Pictures of the Cute hub (and the connection) are in my m9XX review (in my profile).  Instead of plugging into the power USB port of the m9XX with a power source (external battery charger or outlet power), I plug the second USB (power source) into the second Cute hub port.

Finally got my DACport HD yesterday
atsmile.gif

Some shots (please forgive the horrendous overuse of the default flash):

It will take me some time to form proper sound impressions, but at the very least I can say that it:
  • Sounds good to my ears - clean and detailed.
  • Seems a tiny bit less analytical and warmer than the Microstreamer.

A few things of note:
  • The unit runs hot, even on low gain, unless seated on something that extends the shell's heat dispersion capabilities (like my PC's chassis).
  • The gain switch is unreachable with just my fingers and requires something akin to a toothpick to operate (see last shot).
  • Like many others, I didn't receive a usb cable with my unit - luckily, I have 2 that are compatible.
  • The unit works like a charm with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with USB Audio Player PRO.
  • Win10 x64 UD driver observations on my PC (I hope these issues are fixed soon):
    • DirectSound doesn't work. Apparently, at all.
    • ASIO exclusive mode is lacking - while playing in ASIO, sound is still fed to the unit when other applications try to play sounds, causing crackles and interference with the ASIO thread.
    • The unit works properly as a windows playback device only when both the unit and the windows playback settings point specifically to 384Khz and 32bit.

That's all for now.
M. 

Thanks for the DACport HD post.  Just like the DACport Slim (review is on the first page), you can use the tip of the micro USB cable (no toothpick/pin necessary) to select the gain from "LOW" to "HIGH" and vice-versa.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #246 of 694
The LG G3 (using UAPP) works with the Slim without external power.

Power drain is severe though (3%) during one song.

Thank you for that, I have a LG G3 and was wondering for a little while if it could power the dacport slim without external power,
About your 3% drain for one song, could you tell me if its really as you say? Like10 song, you go from 80% to ~~50%? Did you use a hard to drive headphones?
Did you have some apps running in the background ?
Thank you

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #247 of 694
Thank you for that, I have a LG G3 and was wondering for a little while if it could power the dacport slim without external power,
About your 3% drain for one song, could you tell me if its really as you say? Like10 song, you go from 80% to ~~50%? Did you use a hard to drive headphones?
Did you have some apps running in the background ?
Thank you

I used very easy to drive IEM's.

After some further testing I'd say it's even 3-5%. The Slim is quite powerful (450mW) and that's not really possible without using a lot of (in phone terms) power in as well. I wouldn't say it's realistic to use it this way. It works great with an external battery as well but it's a rather bulky set up best intended for home use.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #248 of 694
I used very easy to drive IEM's.

After some further testing I'd say it's even 3-5%. The Slim is quite powerful (450mW) and that's not really possible without using a lot of (in phone terms) power in as well. I wouldn't say it's realistic to use it this way. It works great with an external battery as well but it's a rather bulky set up best intended for home use.

Since both Slim and HD are Class A amplifiers, power consumption will be constant, regardless of the actual load of the headphones.  So expect 450mW + DAC (about 170-190mW) for Slim, and 775mW + DAC (almost 1W total) for the HD version.

Requirements for AK4490 DAC might be lower or a bit higher, I'm just too lazy to look up the spec. )))

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #249 of 694
For anyone interested in setting this up to use with an android phone, here is my take so far. HTC One M8 will NOT power it natively, it just clicks, there's not eough power on usb otg. I have it wired up with a Y cable and a portable charger, and it works great, HOWEVER, it is still draining the battery of the phone at about 650 mA, or almost a percent a minute. I have a mini hub coming like moedawg140 says he used, and hopefully that will get me a good setup that will last through a flight or so.

This is my first high-end source, it sounds very slightly cleaner than the headphone output of the HTC One M8, I am using it with Nad Viso HP50 mostly, also Sennheiser IE80 (slight hiss), Senn Amperior, HD558, and Havi B3 Pro1. Most of these are run on low gain at or near max volume, the Havi B3's need high gain. On high gain, I can hear a slight hiss on all headphones, so I keep it on low.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #250 of 694
Does it (the DACport Slim) work directly with the Fiio X1 DAP?

Is there an easy way to connect between the two and listen to my music directly from the Slim?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #251 of 694
Does it (the DACport Slim) work directly with the Fiio X1 DAP?

Is there an easy way to connect between the two and listen to my music directly from the Slim?

Thanks!

I'm 99% sure that the X1 doesn't support usb audio out so the answer to your question is no, it's not possible to connect the two.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #252 of 694
I'm 99% sure that the X1 doesn't support usb audio out so the answer to your question is no, it's not possible to connect the two.

Thanks! Thinking about it, I guess you are right.

What about a 3.5mm audio Y splitter, do you think it can work? 

Something like this one: http://amzn.to/1kBpbXU

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #253 of 694
The 3.5mm Audio Y Splitter Cable for Headphones would allow 2 sets of headphones to be used with the DACport, but would not help it connect to a phone or DAP.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #254 of 694
  The 3.5mm Audio Y Splitter Cable for Headphones would allow 2 sets of headphones to be used with the DACport, but would not help it connect to a phone or DAP.

Bummer. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back