Review: Calyx DAC 24/192
Nov 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #31 of 41
Curra, you mentioned that you preferred the Octave unless you ran the AP1/PP with the Calyx, feeling no need for the Octave. But how is the AP1/PP to Octave Vs AP1/PP to Calyx?

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #32 of 41
Hi guys. I'm just wondering... How does compare usb to the spdif in this dac? I didn't auditioned them yet but I've heard some good opinions on this dac and few of guys said that it sounds even better via usb. Is that correct? Anyone can confirm that myth?
By the way it has pretty decent specs.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 41
I know this thread is years old, but I purchased a Calyx 24/192 a few months ago and find it to be quite musical and moving emotionally.  The posts about connecting it to the Audiophilleo and the vast improvement got me wondering; what amp was the music coming out of and through what speakers?  Anyone care to respond?  I have a Marantz PM 11S3 integrated amp and Monitor Audio RX 6 speakers and my music sounds wonderful to me.  I listen to classical, Gospel, soundtracks, Christmas,  jazz, country, new age, Celtic, R&B, Rock, Blues, Pop, and even a touch of electronica. I'm not saying every song sounds 1st class because not all music is mastered equally, but I thoroughly enjoy ALL of my music.  Even most of my mp3 downloads sound astonishingly better than I've ever heard them sound before.  I frequently find myself sitting with a stupid "WOW" grin on my face with my feet tapping.  Whatever your end choice I hope you all have found musical bliss.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:
  I know this thread is years old, but I purchased a Calyx 24/192 a few months ago and find it to be quite musical and moving emotionally.  The posts about connecting it to the Audiophilleo and the vast improvement got me wondering; what amp was the music coming out of and through what speakers?  Anyone care to respond?  I have a Marantz PM 11S3 integrated amp and Monitor Audio RX 6 speakers and my music sounds wonderful to me.  I listen to classical, Gospel, soundtracks, Christmas,  jazz, country, new age, Celtic, R&B, Rock, Blues, Pop, and even a touch of electronica. I'm not saying every song sounds 1st class because not all music is mastered equally, but I thoroughly enjoy ALL of my music.  Even most of my mp3 downloads sound astonishingly better than I've ever heard them sound before.  I frequently find myself sitting with a stupid "WOW" grin on my face with my feet tapping.  Whatever your end choice I hope you all have found musical bliss.

Hi there.  I bought the 24/192 a long time ago now.  I run it into a Lavardin Model IT, with Role Audio Kayak speakers in a desktop environment (about 2-3ft listening position)  The combination is magic.  I am reluctant to upgrade because the synergy is magic. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #35 of 41
  I know this thread is years old, but I purchased a Calyx 24/192 a few months ago and find it to be quite musical and moving emotionally.  The posts about connecting it to the Audiophilleo and the vast improvement got me wondering; what amp was the music coming out of and through what speakers?  Anyone care to respond?

Try using a Schiit Wyrd, Audioquest Jitterbug or Uptone Regen USB on the USB input of the Calyx DAC. Should do wonders without an unnecessary USB to SPDIF converter.
http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-accessory-roundup-uptone-audio-usb-regen-audioquest-jitterbug-schiit-wyrd#H66yqCQhAArwoekT.97

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #36 of 41
The Calyx is USB-powered, so most definitely it needs a good USB power supply for best results. I wish I could retry it with a Schiit Wyrd, but it didn't exist back when I owned it. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #37 of 41
Currawong, a correction: the Calyx DAC 24/192 can be USB powered. It is optional. If you turn a switch it can be powered by external power supply.

I tried using the Schiit Wyrd to power the Calyx DAC 24/192 a few days ago and the DAC does NOT work: does not sync, LED stays red and does not turn to purple. I guess not enough power coming from the Wyrd?

Anyway also I tried powering the Calyx DAC 24/192 with an Aqvox USB power supply (it feeds the USB port with clean power coming from a regulated LPS). And also tried powering the DAC with the CLPS (Calyx Linear Power Supply), and compared both. The difference is not big but the CLPS is definitively better: more focused, soundstage more open and deep.

The Aqvox is no slouch, so I imagine what kind of results people get powering the DAC 24/192 straight from a regular computer's USB port....

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #38 of 41
After reading testimonials of the improvement the Audiophilleo brought to the Calyx 24/192 I bought one (Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower).  The sound quality improved with increased clarity and detail, more focused soundstage and with tighter and more accurate bass.  To me, it was worth the money running the Calyx with the attached USB  S/PDIF converter.  I always ran my Calyx with it's own power supply and was never disappointed.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 41
I wonder how Calyx + Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower USB-SPDIF compares against Calyx + Wyrd/Regen USB directly.
Anyone?

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #40 of 41
For those interested, I just tested using an Uptone Regen USB connected to the USB input of the Calyx DAC 24/192, and use the Calyx Linear Power Supply to feed the Regen and switch the DAC to use USB power. Works great and sounds beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back