Review: C&C Box portable amplifier.
Jan 30, 2007 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Gonz

100+ Head-Fier
Lets begin with the packaging. Simple but secure. Just a small cardboard box, and inside, two tight, well taped bundles of bubble wrap. One bundle protected the amp, and the other was for the accessories.

Shipping was very fast, from when I recieved notice it had shipped. The amp arrived in fine "new" condition.

Accessories are impressive. The proper type of power adapter for me in the US, beats having to use plug converters. The gold plated mini interconnect is nothing special for us Head-Fi'ers, but would be a welcome addition for 90% of the folks out there, I'm sure. The velvet bag... maybe I'm being rediculous... but I really like the little bag!
blink.gif
What? It has a nice texture!
tongue.gif

I also recieved an instruction sheet. Thats a first. AND it's in English. Wow.
I'm impressed overall. The right stuff for me helps to make it a very nice package.

The unit looks very nice. Has a solid feel and a little weight to it. The anodizing and printing is done very well, it's a professional looking amp... so visual first impressions are great. The controls are simple, on/off button and volume... but on the back there are three on/off switches.

These switches are: MF (voice) LF (low freq.) SF (stage)

This is an interesting set of controls to me, and I'm not used to it, as nothing like this appears on my other headamps. I don't know how to explain them either. The LF switch in particular, doesn't seem like your typical bass boost. The switches add subtle changes, nothing drastic.

So initially I had decided I like the switches all set to "on" for the most part. I find thats how it sounds best, but I'm sure thats a very subjective topic.

Then yesterday it got a little more interesting. I was listening to AM radio through the C&C Box with Koss Pro3 closed cans.
tongue.gif
The C&C makes the headphone out of my little Kchibo portable world band radio ALOT more tolerable. I was able to eliminate alot of hiss. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't miraculous, but I was able to find enjoyable listening by varying the volume control on the radio, and matching the amp's control accordingly.

And why the hell would I be doing this, one might wonder! Well, I like talk radio, and the woman was watching TV in the other room, which annoys me. Closed cans let me shut both the TV and her out.
tongue.gif

Back to those switches on the amp. Like I said, normally I prefer them all set to the on position, but its quite beneficial with my AM radio to have them off... further helping to clarify and de-hiss (almost tighten up) the radio's audio.

Heres where I try to describe what I hear.
rolleyes.gif

I've freshly charged the unit for this listening session. I'm going to use Sony EX90s and Senn HD485s. For comparison I'll use another strong performer, the Xtra X1 amp. For the source, I'll be using my PC. I've picked a few CDs I'm familiar with, that have a nice dynamic range to them. Note that the switches are all set to on for this.

Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife
C&C has nice and cleaner bass, wider stage and more presence. Obviously (noticeably) more gain. The treble is clear and crisp. I feel immersed. This amp is more detailed and analytical... but I still find it very musical.

The Xtra is warmer and seems to have a little sparkle in the treble, but it also feels like a smaller stage, less depth and presence. The bass seems a little less controlled, a little slower, not as well defined.

Los Lonely Boys - Crazy Dream

The warmth of the Xtra is pulling out ahead on this recording, which is typical of the over-compressed, harsh, hot recordings we're served these days. The C&C does a great job of showing you what there is to see, even if its something you don't want to know about. Bottom line here, is I'm convinced which amp is more detailled, the C&C has the edge in clarity. The lonely homies need better production.

Rod Stewart - You wear it well

The resolution and stage of the C&C does this track good justice.
The warmth of the Xtra seems to wash everything out, or veil it.

Rod Stewart - Maggie May

Same result, hands down. An interesting result at that! The usually warm and musical Xtra basically removes all width from the stage presentation. It squishes it together and tosses a sheet over top.

The C&C Box becomes the more musical, involving experience. The drums and cymbals are really exposed in the left channel. When I'm sittin here thinkin' "how cool is this?" I know I've found something good.

Lets kick it up a notch or ten...

System of a down - B.Y.O.B.
System of a down - Revenga

Again the C&C reveals details, while keeping the bass from overpowering the presentation. The attack seems fast and crisp.

The Xtra, while its able to keep up, sounds like it has to try. The bass is muddied up and more bloated or emphasized than I feel it should be. I suppose you could say its more musical in the sense that it blends together rather than offering a distinct resolution... but at the same time I feel that becomes fatiguing. If you add to that, too much bass and lots of treble, the end result is not so enjoyable. I can't listen at the same level, as the C&C, without the sound going south.

System of a down - Lost in Hollywood

The one thing that really stands out, and draws the biggest divide between these two amps is the width in the presentation. I don't feel like I'm seated in different places in the audience, I feel like there is simply more dimension with the C&C. I find that to be very enjoyable, more immersive, and more interesting. I like the resolution and clarity, and I don't find any excessive emphasis of frequencies. I can hear detail, yet I'm not missing out on musicality.

I'm gonna stop with the Xtra comparisons for the following thoughts.

Beastie Boys - Slow Ride
No problems with bass, and horns sound like horns.
icon10.gif

Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey
Depth. Slammin' bass. Crystal highs.

White Zombie - Black sunshine
I almost feel like I'm listening to speakers with my HD485s, only all the layers in the music, sounds and things you normally don't notice, all come to the forefront. Following up with the track Soul Crusher, I'm sure the attack is fast, hard, and crisp. This amp could have very well been designed right around White Zombie. Damn its good stuff, goes together like strippers and poles.

The Who - Baba O'Riley
This is where I began drooling all over myself.
The Who - Won't get fooled again
Proceeded to kick my ass.

Soundwise, I am oh so impressed. I'd put this up against my Home Vibe with 24v Elpac, no problem. Its probably a more reasonable comparison, than to hold it up next to the Xtra. Don't get me wrong, I really do love the Xtra... but tonight, I'm just not feeling it compared well.

My conclusion...
Honestly this was the first time I've done any A/B listening with the C&C and Xtra. I really liked the C&C from the moment it arrived. It did turn sour on me shortly after listening began, and I fully attribute that to burning in... because the sound went back to good shortly thereafter. The conclusion I have is that the C&C proves to be more versatile musically, and sometimes way more interesting to listen to. Its definitely taking the throne as the portable of choice here.

For some other details ...

Charging is a matter of three to four hours, as advertised. A really nice feature is the LED, which performs a couple functions. (only one LED but it lights both red and green) When the green LED is lit, the amp is on. When the green LED goes out, you have roughly 3hrs of runtime left. (instructions ask you not to discharge completely)

So then you plug adapter/charger into the amp, and a red LED comes on. It slowly dims until the amp is fully charged, and then it goes out. Apparently the smart charging circuit shuts itself off so you don't need to worry about overcharging. Its nice to have these indicators of where you're at, instead of just not knowing.

The battery runtime is quite long. Instructions say 70hrs at moderate volume. I can't say for sure how long my first charge ran, but its more than I need it to last. It'll run a few days for sure, and thats not at "moderate" levels.
basshead.gif

In terms of output power, it seems to have plenty to spare, as advertised. I don't say that lightly, being a fiend for the juice. I don't have anything very high impedence or very low sensitivity to test with, but I'm at the 9:30 - 10 o'clock position right now and its fairly loud... plenty of room to spare
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sizewise, same as the Little Dot M, a little wider than the Xtra X1, in no way is it burdensome to carry about. The jacks have comfortable spacing and seem to be of high quality, secure connections made. Volume knob is nice and firm, no slop and requires a little effort to adjust... seems real nice quality.

I paid about the same price for the C&C and Xtra, so I thought they'd be fair to compare. I didn't expect there to be a night and day difference, and for the most part, there really isn't. They're both really good products. Personally I like what the C&C does for me a bit more. The Xtra's adapter isn't for the USA, and the bag isn't as nice
tongue.gif
The cable and box supplied with the Xtra is nicer though. The blue Xtra I own does have a certain sex appeal, while the black C&C is more industrial, but nicely polished. I think the C&C sounds a bit better, especially with certain material, and I guess thats all that really counts.

I'm not sure what else there is to say? If anyone has any questions, shoot~
Also, I'd love to hear some comments or criticisms.

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 29
Its 9pm here so, I don't have any natural lighting for pics. If you don't mind waiting till tomorrow, I'll gladly snap a few pics next to the Xtra and my iRiver T30 DAP.

In the meantime, you can see it here: Head-Fi C&C Box group buy thread w/pics

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 29
Nice review. Enjoyed reading it.
icon10.gif

There are so many little portables coming on the market. All competitively priced. So many options. A good time to be a headfier.
580smile.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 29
Nice long review, I'll definitely give it a read over tomorrow during work.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeh_yeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow seems like the C&C just whip X1's ass. Did you got a 50 off you C&C?
I need one now.

No, I didn't get a 50 off, and I paid more than the group buy price here, as a matter of fact. I have zero interest in how it, or any other gear performs... What I mean is, money doesn't matter as much as integrity. I won't listen to trash, or lie and tell you it sounds fantastic. If something sucks, I'll most definitely tell you.

The C&C performs better than the Xtra, but its not a huge difference, just enough of a difference that the C&C comes out ahead. When you turn off the switches, the amps sound alot more similar... somehow that "stage" switch especially, makes things different. I would like clearer info as to what these switches do exactly, because I can't pinpoint it.

I don't know how 400 hours of use might change these amps either, at this point the hours on them should be about equal. As for what I hear or percieve as the stage depth and width, I don't think that'll change very much... and like I say, I feel this is the one big advantage of the C&C Box. In that respect, I think it whips the Xtra.

If I had to make a criticism, which is hard to do... I'd like the C&C a bit mellower, or smoother, but just a touch. In contrast, I would like the Xtra a tad sharper or clearer. Why do I say this? Because somewhere in the middle would leave an amp more versatile for a wider variety of rock music. So far I find there is always a compromise, you can't have perfect highs without exposing the flaws like compression, and in contrast, you can't eliminate the effects of compression without detracting from the treble. This is a fine line to walk. My musical taste is the worst for recording quality.

The detail of the C&C can make something like Los Lonely Homies, with its poor mastering, too annoying to listen to, while the Xtra is forgiving because its more laid back. Thats a pro versus con situation, because while you might think detail is a highly desireable thing... you get too much detail and you start running out of stuff you can stand listening to.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 29
Nice. It'll be fun for me to compare the C&C and the iBasso P1 when both arrive.
280smile.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #10 of 29
I would love to try the iBasso myself. I have read alot of good things about it here lately.... but with my incoming Audio Technica stuff, I've definitely reached my limit for awhile.
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 29
When my C&C Box comes, I will have it and an iBasso P1, so I can compare. I like the iBasso P1 quite a lot -- very good for the relatively little money. Let's see if the similarly priced C&C holds up.

The iBasso P1 currently is my king of $100 or less amps. However, I feel the $150 Headphonia is better, and the $200 Xenos 1HA-EPC better still.

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 29
Great review Gonz!
cool.gif
My C&C amp should be here tommorow from Hong Kong I hope. iBasso P1 looks like my next amp...

@Skylab Looking foward to your C&C and iBasso comparison.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 29
Great review, Gonz. Skylab, I'm really looking forward to your review, as I've been considering some of the amps you've already reviewed, and the C&C Box seems perfect for me. The iBasso looks intruiging also. But since you're reviewing all of the amps I'm interested in, seems like you'll be a great reference. Let me know when you write the review! Btw, do you have an estimate of when that will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back