Review by Spekkio: Unique Melody Miracle
Dec 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 49
Gee, how do I interpret this?

You guys don't like it compared to your hi-fi setups, but some people like projekt think its great even compared to headphone legends and total top of the line setups..

Haha, at least I got my cable today, and it is sure beautiful. Coils in all the right ways as well, and no memory wire while retaining shape is a huge plus.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 49
No memory wire is WAY better. Its like all the benefits of memory wire, except that its way more convenient, easier to insert and take out.

I love the cable at least. A little bit of something to take solace in haha.

*by the way, im talking about the Supreme Rose, not a standard CIEM cable.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:
    the bass notes sound muffled and without note definition, the overall sound of the earphone mids and highs are distant, and veiled.  Unless i eq them i have no interest in their stock sound, and even eq'd I am perplexed. 

Have you considered sending them back? It's hard to imagine the same iems being described so differently assuming the iems in question are working properly. Veiled highs? Muffled bass? It just doesn't make sense. Joker's comparisons between the Miracle's and the CK10's lead me to believe that the issues you are having may be particular to a recent batch around serial number 3541.

You could probably sell the Miracles here but we wouldn't ever know if this was a one off fluke or if all the praise for these iems is unfounded hype. You must have spent close to $1000 or more on these. Maybe you should send them back?

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #35 of 49
Just a small though, we recently had a client here in Perth Western Australia, using the Aero triples for live monitoring.

He got back to us after about a while saying that the bass was totally overkill and treble was almost non existent.  This was really odd to us because the Aero's are neutral with forward treble.  STRANGE!

So of course we looked after him and he sent them back to us.  We chucked some tips on them and had a listen.  We ran FR tests and sweeps.  Everything is A OK with the IEM.  No driver damage, no wiring out of phase.  They sounded great.

So we workshopped it with our network of audiologists and determined that the canal second bend hadn't either been captured, or modeled properly in the ear and the angle of the sound tubes were causing reverberations in the inner ear.  The audiologists had a think and confirmed with us if we pulled back the length of the canal slightly, or lengthened it and captured the angle of the second bend correctly, we'd be all set. 

An odd request, but our client in Perth used this to help us identify the possible issue.  Try and remove the IEM's and back them out slightly whilst maintaining a seal for as long as you can.  Alternatively, grab the opposite ear IEM, flip it upside down and try and achieve a seal.  Does the sound change at all?

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #36 of 49

Quote:
Just a small though, we recently had a client here in Perth Western Australia, using the Aero triples for live monitoring.

He got back to us after about a while saying that the bass was totally overkill and treble was almost non existent.  This was really odd to us because the Aero's are neutral with forward treble.  STRANGE!

So of course we looked after him and he sent them back to us.  We chucked some tips on them and had a listen.  We ran FR tests and sweeps.  Everything is A OK with the IEM.  No driver damage, no wiring out of phase.  They sounded great.

So we workshopped it with our network of audiologists and determined that the canal second bend hadn't either been captured, or modeled properly in the ear and the angle of the sound tubes were causing reverberations in the inner ear.  The audiologists had a think and confirmed with us if we pulled back the length of the canal slightly, or lengthened it and captured the angle of the second bend correctly, we'd be all set. 

An odd request, but our client in Perth used this to help us identify the possible issue.  Try and remove the IEM's and back them out slightly whilst maintaining a seal for as long as you can.  Alternatively, grab the opposite ear IEM, flip it upside down and try and achieve a seal.  Does the sound change at all?

so to resolve this did this person have to send in new molds?  what was the process? how long did it take?
did this person report an improvement?

I have honestly convinced myself that this is just how the miracles sound, and that I am just being picky,  but now you have me wondering again. 

here is what i have done with my miracle eq to greatly improve the sound and bring it much closer to my lcd-2's which were eq'd to neutral by a sound engineer on this forum.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #37 of 49

Quote:
Gee, how do I interpret this?

You guys don't like it compared to your hi-fi setups, but some people like projekt think its great even compared to headphone legends and total top of the line setups..

Haha, at least I got my cable today, and it is sure beautiful. Coils in all the right ways as well, and no memory wire while retaining shape is a huge plus.

I am a bit perplexed by the issues people are having. I stand by my original thoughts that the Miracle is a world class custom... But I can only really say that from MY experience, which just happened to be a universal demo. I totally understand individual preferences, slight unit variability, minor differences. But this seems more like a fundamental change, and not a subtle one. 

I know there was a big difference between the universal Merlin demo and the real thing. In that case it was reversed though; the demo was inferior. 

As Unique Melody Aus brought up, there is a chance that something isn't quite right with the fit, and that is causing issues. I once had a set of customs that had a very slight sharp angle on the left tip, which somehow made them sound unbalanced and panned to the left. This was due to added bone conduction I guess. If I moved my jaw a bit I could fix it. Obviously I sent them back, had that part smoothed out, and the result was a completely different sound. It sounds simple to explain it now but at the time it took me weeks to figure out the problem.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #38 of 49

Quote:

I have not forgotten a remark that I read, several weeks back, in Felix Yau's review of the Miracles:

Quote:
Felix Yau (http://www.compudio.ca/2010/08/unique-melody-miracle-new-benchmark.html)

"Interestingly, Unique Melody tends to mold slightly shorter canals than other manufacturers, which in result produces a relatively less intense isolation experience. So, if you believe you need the full 36 decibels of isolation that we received from JH Audio's monitor, we'd advise to let Unique Melody know you'd like your canals to be molded slightly longer and wider."

...is it possible that UM may, perhaps, have taken this to heart, and chosen to now make their IEMs slightly longer (i.e. make them extend a few millimetres further into the ear), due to not wishing to lose potential customers who may be seeking maximum isolation?

Unlikely, perhaps, but it merely occurred to me, after reflecting upon the remarks about aberrations in the subjective sound characteristic of IEMs, relating to inconsistencies in the moulding of the second bend of the ear canal. It's just really weird that (at least) 2 people in a row should be experiencing almost identical aberrations in perceived sound characteristics, with brand-new Miracles manufactured within just hours or days of one another.

One would anticipate that universal customs would not intrude as far into the ear canal as full customs...Felix's review (of a pair of Miracles made back in August or earlier) was of full customs, but project86's review was of universal customs, IIRC?

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #39 of 49

Quote:

I have not forgotten a remark that I read, several weeks back, in Felix Yau's review of the Miracles:

...is it possible that UM may, perhaps, have taken this to heart, and chosen to now make their IEMs slightly longer (i.e. make them extend a few millimetres further into the ear), due to not wishing to lose potential customers who may be seeking maximum isolation?

Unlikely, perhaps, but it merely occurred to me, after reflecting upon the remarks about aberrations in the subjective sound characteristic of IEMs, relating to inconsistencies in the moulding of the second bend of the ear canal. It's just really weird that (at least) 2 people in a row should be experiencing almost identical aberrations in perceived sound characteristics, with brand-new Miracles manufactured within just hours or days of one another. One would anticipate that universal customs would not intrude as far into the ear canal as full customs...

popcorn.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 49
even more bambuzlement today.. my theory as of today is that either i have a fit issue which is making them sound different every time i put them in, or that something along the lines of burn was ocurring, or maybe something was off in some way physically, and playing sound through them janked it back into place, because now - even flat - no eq - everything is sounding great- almost perfect.

i may fiddle a little with the bass, but very little, and as for the rest of the sound.. If i eq it it wont be out of necessity like it was before.
bottom line, either something signifigant has changed, or my brain was just going into serious revolt and took some time to adjust.. honestly that could be it too.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #41 of 49
Possible explanations:

1) Your audiologist made a mistake
2) You moved too much/did something to affect impressions
3) UM did an imperfect job with good impressions
4) The UM rep is right - BAs do need burn in
5) You're getting accustomed to the sound, and therefore appreciate it more

Just a few ideas..

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #42 of 49

Quote:
even more bambuzlement today.. my theory as of today is that either i have a fit issue which is making them sound different every time i put them in, or that something along the lines of burn was ocurring, or maybe something was off in some way physically, and playing sound through them janked it back into place, because now - even flat - no eq - everything is sounding great- almost perfect.

i may fiddle a little with the bass, but very little, and as for the rest of the sound.. If i eq it it wont be out of necessity like it was before.
bottom line, either something signifigant has changed, or my brain was just going into serious revolt and took some time to adjust.. honestly that could be it too.

blink.gif

blink.gif

blink.gif

Hey, Spekkio, are you reading this..??               
popcorn.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #43 of 49

Quote:

Haha, awesome.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #45 of 49
Any updates? I am very worried. Nice treble and clear soind signature was one of the reasons that I ordered them. Cannot believe that they sound muddy to some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back