[Review] Brainwavz M5 - Maximum Energy!
Nov 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AFRUITPIE

New Head-Fier
Brainwavz M5 – Maximum Energy!

The Brainwavz M5 is a fantastic budget IEM that I am very happy to recommend to all of my friends. The build quality is stellar, the design is gorgeous, and the sound signature is very fun and energetic. Is it the right IEM for you? Let's find out!

BUILD QUALITY:

The build quality of the M5 is worlds better than that of the M4. Brainwavz ditched the flimsy pipe-cleaner cable, and replaced it with a really thick, sturdy one. The new cable is better than any other IEM cable I have ever seen. You can tug on it, bend it, twist it, and knot it up, but the cable will not break. The casings on the M5 are even more durable than the cable because they are made out of a rigid metal. The stress relievers are all thick, and the 3.5mm jack is incredibly strong. The Brainwavz M5's build quality is incredible, and is able to stand up to even the most abusive users.

DESIGN:

The design of the M5 is a very good looking IEM. The minimalistic and industrial design of the casings is beautiful. The angled 3.5mm jack is also very good looking when connected to an audio source. The M5's design won't turn any heads, but it is a very handsome IEM nevertheless.

SOUND SIGNATURE:

The sound signature of the M5 is very energetic and fun, which is why I named this review “Maximum Energy!” The soundstage is above average for an IEM, very similar to the soundstage of the M4. The isolation is very good, turning noisy hallways and airplanes into quiet listening rooms.

The highs in the M5 are decent. They aren't as crisp and prominent as I would like them to be, but that does not mean the highs sound bad.

The mids in the M5 are also decent. Guitar riffs and male voices sound great, but did not have the detail and development that I enjoy. Sometimes, male voices sounded a little muffled and distant. The mids are very prominent, often outshining the highs.

The lows... Oh boy, I love the lows in the M5. The bass is very strong in the M5, often being the most prominent part of the sound signature. The bass is low, strong, and very energetic. It's very similar to the lows and bass of the ATH-M50. The lows in the M5 will satisfy any bass head's need for a deep rumble.

FINAL OPINIONS:

The M5 is great. The build quality is surprisingly good, the design is beautiful, and the sound signature will please bass heads everywhere. All of these positive attributes of the M5 being wrapped-up into a package make the M5 a must-have, and the perfect gift for anyone who needs an IEM. Nice job, Brainwavz. Keep up the good work!

If you have any comments or constructive criticism on my review, please post them below. I'm still a beginner, and I strive to make every review I write better than the last!

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 11
Nice review and great pics! What sort of music do you listen to?

I ordered a pair last week and they should be here in a few days, I'm excited! I have a pair of D2000s but I like iems for exercising, sleeping, and doing chores around the house. My past iems were all no namers and freebies. My iphone earbuds just lost the right channel, I think it broke at the Y joint - yanked while sleeping. I am definitely excited to receive these! I feel like they are at a nice price point, spending enough to get a little quality/won't be the end of the world if they break. I like the understated look too! I got two pairs, black and copper. I thought I would let my wife pick out her color when they arrive.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Brainwavz M5 – Maximum Energy!

The Brainwavz M5 is a fantastic budget IEM that I am very happy to recommend to all of my friends. The build quality is stellar, the design is gorgeous, and the sound signature is very fun and energetic. Is it the right IEM for you? Let's find out!

BUILD QUALITY:

The build quality of the M5 is worlds better than that of the M4. Brainwavz ditched the flimsy pipe-cleaner cable, and replaced it with a really thick, sturdy one. The new cable is better than any other IEM cable I have ever seen. You can tug on it, bend it, twist it, and knot it up, but the cable will not break. The casings on the M5 are even more durable than the cable because they are made out of a rigid metal. The stress relievers are all thick, and the 3.5mm jack is incredibly strong. The Brainwavz M5's build quality is incredible, and is able to stand up to even the most abusive users.

DESIGN:

The design of the M5 is a very good looking IEM. The minimalistic and industrial design of the casings is beautiful. The angled 3.5mm jack is also very good looking when connected to an audio source. The M5's design won't turn any heads, but it is a very handsome IEM nevertheless.

SOUND SIGNATURE:

The sound signature of the M5 is very energetic and fun, which is why I named this review “Maximum Energy!” The soundstage is above average for an IEM, very similar to the soundstage of the M4. The isolation is very good, turning noisy hallways and airplanes into quiet listening rooms.

The highs in the M5 are decent. They aren't as crisp and prominent as I would like them to be, but that does not mean the highs sound bad.

The mids in the M5 are also decent. Guitar riffs and male voices sound great, but did not have the detail and development that I enjoy. Sometimes, male voices sounded a little muffled and distant. The mids are very prominent, often outshining the highs.

The lows... Oh boy, I love the lows in the M5. The bass is very strong in the M5, often being the most prominent part of the sound signature. The bass is low, strong, and very energetic. It's very similar to the lows and bass of the ATH-M50. The lows in the M5 will satisfy any bass head's need for a deep rumble.

FINAL OPINIONS:

The M5 is great. The build quality is surprisingly good, the design is beautiful, and the sound signature will please bass heads everywhere. All of these positive attributes of the M5 being wrapped-up into a package make the M5 a must-have, and the perfect gift for anyone who needs an IEM. Nice job, Brainwavz. Keep up the good work!

If you have any comments or constructive criticism on my review, please post them below. I'm still a beginner, and I strive to make every review I write better than the last!

Nice review mate! :) Finally another M5 fan had done a review. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive soon. For this review, I'm excited to have it.
Some says the sound is Fun and Neutral, less Fatigue.. Agree? :)

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
It does come with the New Brainwavz semi-rigid black/red case? Thanks

Mine came with a different case...  The picture is on my review: http://www.ifans.com/blog/56864/

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Whoa! Pretty, but I think I would've liked them in black.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry to revive an old thread but just wanna say that mine are for sale at the moment. x2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654701/brainwavz-m5-iem-for-sale-x2-one-unopened-other-slightly-used

May 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 11
lol at the build quality.
Both my pairs has a channel gone.
Tried to contact the company, no response so far. I do not recommend M5's to NOBODY.

May 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Tried to contact the company, no response so far. I do not recommend M5's to NOBODY.

same **** happened to me, both m5 in like 1 week lol. my 10 buck philips she3850 last hellova lot more. havent even bothered to send them back atm. Only thing good about them is bass, which is pretty sick.

May 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 11

I've had mine since last year and no issues whatsoever.

Perhaps you should write again?

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 11
I do not recommend M5's to NOBODY.

Double negative... Does that mean that you recommend the M5 to everybody?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back