[REVIEW] Blox TM7 - King of 'Buds
Oct 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 42
My TM7s made it to the 100 hours+ mark. Along the way, the sound changed quite a bit in the following way:

At 0-20 hours sounds fat no extension both in bass and treble. Loads of mid but with blur images, not precisely placed sounds. Huge soundscape, not so sure about depth. Enveloping sound, warm and wonderful like an aged 70's speaker with 8 inch woofers.

At 20-70 hours, mids clear up. Bass extends deeper but stops at the deepest acoustic instruments. Electric bass fails. Treble extends making the sound more natural. Sounded slightly muted earlier. Mind you this is with the original covers that come with the set. Not cut with holes like with the PK1. I didn't want to adjust the TM7 sound until the burn in completed. Overall sound is thick but more balanced. Wonderful with orchestra works giving the impression of being inside the orchestra. Sound is thick enough and being an earbud with a huge soundscape and headless enough to pull off the effect.

80-100 hours the bass tightens up to appear less than before. But in actual fact is simply more accurate. Previously with certain ambient sounds like piano echoes, you can hear "pressure sounds" from both channels that spoil the out of head experience reminding one that you're wearing a headphone. Now that pressure sound has gone and the illusion of being headless and in the music remains.

Treble is more like where it should be. A touch more air would be better. Changed to bud cover with cut out hole. But now treble is too aggressive. Still prefer bud completely covered. Hopefully the air will pick up with more burning. Mids are wonderful with a close up presentation.

Overall a very enjoyable earbud with huge soundstage and realistic presentation of large complex music like orchestras. Outer ends of sound both in bass and treble is not fully extended. Treble may possibily be adjusted with different covers and with more burning as it has so far improved over time. Presentation close and intimate.

That's all!

Edit:
After additional burning sound has changed yet again. At 180-200 hours, the treble which was a touch murky before with the supplied foam covers has morphed to smooth and sweet. More air has developed too and it's sufficient for me to to not look further for alternative covers.

Bass is full but ever so slightly fat mixing with lower mids.

Woo (the proprietor of Blox) says the burn time is 220 hours in his email to me Oct 2012 so I'm eager to see what happens over the next week or so. Others have mentioned figures like 80 or 100 hours but I can confirm the sound changes with additional burning, improving the sound substantially. Each time I put on the TM7 I'm amazed how real and full sized the sound is.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #33 of 42
Source mainly the Tera Player. Also used iPad2 and RXmk3 for general fun.

All files WAV, most at standard 16/44 some at 24/96 resolution (with the Tera).

Tracks mainly classical and jazz including:

Charlie Haden, Night and the City
The Hot Club of San Francisco
Claudia Gomez, Salamandra
Horowitz in Moscow
Hilary Hann, Natalie Zhu, Mozart Violin Sonatas
Louis Prima, Keely Smith, Live from Las Vegas

High res files:
David's Burani, Mozart
Mark Nuccio, Nuccio Opening Night
Andrew Manze, the English concert

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #34 of 42
"Overall a very enjoyable earbud with huge soundstage and realistic presentation"

I wish I could agree with you on the soundstage. For me it's not as wide as a pair of M2Cs or even PK2s.

"Presentation close and intimate"

IMO when you do not have a noticeable wide soundstage, the sound does not feel as intimate as I would like, but that been said there have been times when I get off guard and I get the feeling.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 42
I don't have an MC2 nor PK2 so I can't comment. I should find time to try 
redface.gif

But I do have a PK1 (burnt 400 or so hours). I find that instruments and sounds seem to come from further away in the PK1 and are smaller in size giving the impression that the soundstage is very large. I would say female vocal shapes are around half the size of the TM7s. Also the bass and treble are slightly lifted in the PK1s compared to the TM7 and I believe this may help it's ability to define large boundaries (after all you can only hear a large soundstage after you hear the echos from the boundaries, otherwise it's just blackness).  It's enjoyable for the different presentation in some tracks.

But at this time, I prefer the TM7 for general listening over the PK1 for the beautiful mids and how it brings music closer to the listener - front row seats!

I'm hoping that I can find a way to extend the 'air' of the TM7 which might help extend the soundstage. Will be experimenting with different coverings to do this. Tried with some silicon side covers with a bulb in front that directs the sound a bit designed for the original apple buds with pretty poor results. I also don't like the standard cushion buds with holes cut out (ala PK1) as they make the treble a little hard for me. Still looking.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:
"Overall a very enjoyable earbud with huge soundstage and realistic presentation"

I wish I could agree with you on the soundstage. For me it's not as wide as a pair of M2Cs or even PK2s.

"Presentation close and intimate"

IMO when you do not have a noticeable wide soundstage, the sound does not feel as intimate as I would like, but that been said there have been times when I get off guard and I get the feeling.

I own or have owned ok2, m2c, tm5 and a blox prototype. Have to say soundstage, especially the tm5 sound big after 500 hours burn in. Separation/ambience/dynamics all improve over time with burn in, making the sound more realistic and big. Having owned tm5, I can only imagine tm7 has a even better soundstage, blox told me before they use a special method to control air, making sound more full-size like.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #37 of 42
hmm im interested in these ones ! but you say they seem to be even bigger then the mx 980/85s ? becouse they look really big and people have complained about not being so comfortable.becouse of there big size.. i need something real comfy becouse iems irritate me ears. thats why im looking into earbuds.. what could i get and find if i was looking in the 150-220 dollar price range is there any earbuds this expensive thats has still great value for the money soundwise?

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #38 of 42
just wondering if anyone have tried newly release TM9 ? I just placed order thru' Mr. Woo . should be reaching me next week.
I have not own any Blox product other than reading some fantastic feedback on their previous flagship TM7 ( I just assumed that TM9 is their latest flagship earbud costing USD279 )
. it will be great to hear from someone that have use TM9 before . cheers.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 42
just wondering if anyone have tried newly release TM9 ? I just placed order thru' Mr. Woo . should be reaching me next week.
I have not own any Blox product other than reading some fantastic feedback on their previous flagship TM7 ( I just assumed that TM9 is their latest flagship earbud costing USD279 )
. it will be great to hear from someone that have use TM9 before . cheers.

TM9 discussion is pretty much all in the earbud round-up thread - and yes, there are a few of us already have our TM9 and a few more are waiting for their to arrive.

Sep 19, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #41 of 42
Thanks for the reply, for the incoming TM9 , it actually a blind buy based on comments that I gather here and some news locally , I like it because it is not too commercially available due to limited build and sales channel. could I have the TM9 specification as I could not find any at Blox website. thanks

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #42 of 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back