Review: Beyerdynamic 2006 DT880 (600+ hours)
Oct 22, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #16 of 21
Revised this review today. I wasn't entirely happy with it before as there were a few things I wanted to correct and listen to again, so it's been updated. A couple parts of the review have been completely changed due to my recent experience with the AD2000, and my ears have also become more discerning since I originally posted this.
wink.gif

Also want to note that I did in fact re-listen to the headphones over the past couple weeks to get completely familiar with its sound signature (hence increasing burn-in times as previously given) and that I changed a couple test CDs too.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Conclusion
For the price, Beyerdynamic's new DT880 is a decent performer. It's not the stand-out of the year, but it's not that bad either. It's a good, satisfactory headphone and should please those who crave detail and texture in slower-paced music. It's ideal for classical/orchestral, as it gives just the right amount of treble emphasis to make strings sing and also easily handles the various sounds from the orchestra. Also works great for club/lounge, soul, trip-hop, and slower types of electronica. A good value and strong competitor - other headphones in its range may beat it in terms of bass extension, mid-bass slam, mid-range liveliness, soundstage, or transient response, but it's armed with a treble response and level of detail that's simply unmatched at this price.

Asr - Excellent write-up here, with great attention to detail. Thanks for the effort.

Question: When you stated the above, specifically, that other headphones in the DT880's range "beat it in terms of bass extension, mid-bass slam, mid-range liveliness, soundstage, or transient response", which headphones are able to accomplish this feat, minus treble response?

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 21
Nice review chock full of details and well written.

Just one small point - surely you meant that you used Quake 1's theme music, because that was written by Trent and I well recall when he first mentioned that he and id had discussed creating the musical score for their next game. When it came to Quake's 2 and 3 id contracted Sonic Mayhem to prepare the musical score - a bit of a suprise because most thought Trent would write the music sooner than some unknown group, but a happy change because what Sonic Mayhem created was far better.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks
Question: When you stated the above, specifically, that other headphones in the DT880's range "beat it in terms of bass extension, mid-bass slam, mid-range liveliness, soundstage, or transient response", which headphones are able to accomplish this feat, minus treble response?

Bass extension - DT770, Senn HD600, Senn HD650
Mid-bass slam - "
Mid-range liveliness - AKG K501, K601, K701...and the ATH-AD2000 if you consider $500 in its range
Soundstage - AKG K701, Sony SA series
Transient response - Grado/Alessandro

Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin
Just one small point - surely you meant that you used Quake 1's theme music, because that was written by Trent and I well recall when he first mentioned that he and id had discussed creating the musical score for their next game. When it came to Quake's 2 and 3 id contracted Sonic Mayhem to prepare the musical score - a bit of a suprise because most thought Trent would write the music sooner than some unknown group, but a happy change because what Sonic Mayhem created was far better.

I used the Quake II soundtrack, forgot that it was done by Sonic Mayhem, thanks for the correction.

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 21
Truly excellent review.

I'd really like to try the '05 DT880, since I like the '05 DT990 SOOOOO very much. I would love to know how much bass the 880 really has in comparison. You talked a lot about it's bass quality and extension, but not as much about quantity. I don't suppose you've heard the '05 DT880?

I found the '02 DT880 to have far too little bass quantity for me to enjoy.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #21 of 21
I think I must've read this soon after it was written but forgot . I failed to notice the date when I reread it and thought,.. Hmm, this isn't quite as nicely written as your AD2000 review. I had to laugh when I did see that it was done back in August. I know this ain't english comp. class but, even though this one is very informative, your latest is a much smoother read and better organized. In fact, I think it is one of the best headphone reviews I've ever read. Congrat's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back