Review Best under $200: Audio technica Ath M50, Shure SRH840, and Sennheiser HD 25 1 II
Nov 24, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #16 of 28
I'm pretty sure these are the most popular under $200 closed headphones on the market. I own all 3 so i wanted to let people know of the 3 which one i thought was the best. I am surprised with myself. When i first got my shure srh840 i thought they were crap. Then i got my alessandro and when i received them tehy were amazing and i thought i found audio nirvana. A few weeks later i was back again preferring my shures. Then i bought the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. When i first received them i proclaimed i had found audio nirvana. They were great fun but that fun didn't last forever and soon i was back on my shure srh840 again. Now i receive the ATH M50 and my thoughts when i got them were these are amazing but then i got home and did some comparisons and i still found the shure srh 840 to be the best of the bunch. I believe shure has done something amazing with the shure srh840.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
I'm pretty sure these are the most popular under $200 closed headphones on the market. I own all 3 so i wanted to let people know of the 3 which one i thought was the best. I am surprised with myself. When i first got my shure srh840 i thought they were crap. Then i got my alessandro and when i received them tehy were amazing and i thought i found audio nirvana. A few weeks later i was back again preferring my shures. Then i bought the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. When i first received them i proclaimed i had found audio nirvana. They were great fun but that fun didn't last forever and soon i was back on my shure srh840 again. Now i receive the ATH M50 and my thoughts when i got them were these are amazing but then i got home and did some comparisons and i still found the shure srh 840 to be the best of the bunch. I believe shure has done something amazing with the shure srh840.

Try and get a Fischer Audio FA-003, they're $155 new from Russia. You'll question that SRH840.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #18 of 28
Hi i have an update. I switched the m50 pads with the shure srh840 pads and it decreased the bass impact and softened the treble. The mids are also more forward. With the srh840 pads they sound quite like the srh840 itself except maybe a little smoother and better.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 28

Try and get a Fischer Audio FA-003, they're $155 new from Russia. You'll question that SRH840. 
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

wrong! ...the shures are way way better than the fa 003 ...

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 28

Quote:

IMO ...the shures are way way better than the fa 003 ...

Corrected that for you ........ there is no right or wrong - just individual preference.

After owning the SRH840 and also the HM5 (equivalent of the FA-003) - I'd actually agree with Mal - MY preference would go to the HM5/Fischer FA-003.  And FTR I loved the SRH840.

Just a question - as you haven't listed any gear - have you spent considerable time with both, so as to make an informed opinion?  Just curious.  What do you think is better in the Shures over the FA-003?

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #21 of 28
i dont list gears my friend ... my father has the shure srh 840 and i have the lindys....the shures have better detailing...and better mids and slightly better bass extension than the fischers/brainwavz/lindys....and i think as far as gears are concerned...my conscience is clean 

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #22 of 28
btw i also have the krk kns 8400....and i think even that beats the fischers to a certain extent..

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 28
Haven't heard the KRK KNS 8400.  You and I will have to differ in opinion on the SRH840 vs FA-003 
wink.gif
.  Both are great headphones for their price though.

Are you amped or unamped?  What's your source?  Just interested.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 28
Feb 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 28
actually i've an onkyo receiver but also have a fiio e7....my father likes the lindy premiums more and i like the shures more ...he is apparently getting the srh 940!! ..malveaux has them ..malveaux is just awesome!! ....
"very best"

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 28
Sad to see the OP is now banned...?

Well I've had my Sennheiser HD25 IIs for over 5 years ...and they are finally breaking.  The magnets are damaged, and it cost me US$70 just to get them fixed last year, so I think I'll retire them after they go completely. 

The Shure SRH840, I found completely underwhelming - and it didn't have the lithe portability of the Sennheisers.  I can't say I've ever found an ATH M50 to try still. 

The HD25IIs are still unrivalled for their superior isolation:  they are the best travel headphones I've found.   Looking at other new ones in the market, I don't need no bluetooth; no expensive volume control or remote control gadgets - just a decent set of portable closed backs to use with a travel amp.  What's disappointing, is discovering that there are no near field competitors for the HD25 IIs after all these years.  Guess my next set is going to be another set of HD25 IIs. 

Btw - I amp mine with a TTVJ Millett's Portable tube amplifier and use a mini-disc as a superior audio source :D

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #27 of 28
aiaiai tma 1 ...

very best,

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #28 of 28
Thanks a lot bcasey25raptor
I was looking for a comparison between Ath m50 and HD 25
Always love to see charts with numbers, easy to understand for a noob like me
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back