Review Best under $200: Audio technica Ath M50, Shure SRH840, and Sennheiser HD 25 1 II
Nov 23, 2011 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
As you may know i own 3 budget champion headphones under $200. These are the audio Technica ath m50, Shure srh840, Sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.
So i decided to do a review on the 3 and give you my opinion on the under $200 champion.

I will give it a 1, 2, or 3 for a rating scale. 1 means it wins in the category, 2 means it comes in second, and 3 means it comes in last (Quite Simple).

Feature Audio Technica Ath M50 Shure SRH840 Sennheiser HD 25 1 II
Speed 2 3 1
Bass 2 3 1
Highs 2 3 1
Mids 3 1 2
Accuracy 3 1 2
Enjoyment 2 3 1
Durability 2 3 1
Value 3 1 2
Overall 3 1 2

Let's start with the shure srh 840

Shure SRH840

Durability/Design
Design wise these are closed back so you shouldn't have any issues with noise leakage. They are really big so portability might not be a viable option. They come with a detachable coiled cable and replacement earpads which seem to have memory foam. Durability wise these things are built like a tank. The headband can be stretched this way and that and it will just keep going. Rubber enforced with metal keeps it together well. Detachable cable makes replacement easy. and they are really comfortable. My only concern is the cables jutting out the side. But having owned them for a long while they are actually much more durable then I give them credit for.

Unfortunately i feel the durability is lacking though compared to the other 2. It gets spot 3.

Comfort
The most comfortable of the bunch. They have very comfortable memory foam pads, and a slightly padded headband. They are very heavy though so some people will find it uncomfortable. I find that if you have hair you should have no comfort issues. But if you do listen for many hours you might feel it weighing down on you which could cause discomfort for some people.

Sound Quality
These are really accurate, seemingly slow, and analytical. Not to be a first choice for just enjoying your music.

Mids: Amazingly clear, forward but not intrusive.
Highs: I feel they are recessed after 10khz. On the bright side they are not harsh.
Lows: Mid bass hump, and recessed sub bass.
Speed: Slow, not good for Rock or Heavy Metal.
Accuracy: Very accurate, these excel at details.

Amped Performance
When I amp these I noticed a slight improvement in the highs and a gain in the bass department. But overall these gain slightly little from amping.
I used both a Fiio E7 and Fiio E5 to test this.

Final Thoughts
These are my go to cans most of the time. They work with every genre of music but do light music best. Something like Jazz or Classical will sound impressive with these. For faster genres the other two headphones excel and i will tell you why.

Sennheiser HD 25 1 II

Durability/Design
Definitely the most durable of the 3. The design is very simple and every part can be user replaced. At first glance they look cheap but i assure you they are tough. Wires are detachable and you can use the sennheiser hd 600 cable with these if you prefer. Design wise they are fantastic, very professional looking and if you want to pay more you can get the adidas pair which look stunning imo.

Sound Quality
These are really accurate, Fast, bassy, and treble happy. Most excellent for metal, rock, pop, or electronic.

Mids: A little laid back
Highs: Boast to the upper highs allow for non harsh but still enjoyable listening.
Lows: Very powerful yet flat bass
Speed: fast, good for Rock or Heavy Metal.
Accuracy: Good details but very colored.

Amped Performance
I noticed that when amped the bass gets tighter.

Final Thoughts
These are my choice for just rocking out, they also make great portables allowing for good sound quality on the go.

Audio Technica ATH M50

Ah yes the all powerful and over hyped ATH M50s. Your probably wondering right now what i think of these and where they fit in this list. For newbies recommending M50s this might surprise you.

Let's start shall we.

Durability/Design

If there is anywhere these shine it is in durability. To me these are very durable. They feel very strong and i don't think they will break easily. Though the headband is less flexible then the shure srh840 i still feel it is strong. Unfortunately the cable isn't replaceable and is built into the headphones. There is no wires jutting out the sides so it gives me confidence in their reliability. I also feel these look fantastic. I love the look of these very much. Overall design and durability are top notch though i feel the sennheiser hd 25 is more durable because it's parts are replaceable.

Sound Quality
These are bassy, fast, fun, and V curve. Not neutral at all, and not very accurate but they are still fun.

Mids: Slightly muffled and recessed
Highs: Very Bright and harsh
Lows: Boomy fun bass
Speed: Fast, good for Rock or Heavy Metal.
Accuracy: Not very accurate and very harsh. Ok if you want a colored headphone for rock or metal or electronic.

Amped Performance
Haven't tried yet i will have to get back to this thread later currently away from my amplifier for a few days.

Final Thoughts
Not very good in terms of accuracy or neutrality. They also fail in portability. But what they do well in is durability, and for having fun with bassy genres. I don't recommend these for jazz, classical. or country/folk.

Winners/Preferences
After writing this I should give my opinion on which wins.

I must stretch that there is no winners or losers and that each one of these headphones will be bad to one person and gold to another. Rated on both technical abilities (Winners) and accuracy (Personal preference).

Winners
Best overall is the Shure SRH840                                                                  
Second best is the Sennheiser HD 25 1 II
And last is the Audio Technica Ath M50

Personal Preference (Enjoyment)
Sennheiser HD 25 1 II is the most fun
Audio Technica ATH M50 comes in second for enjoyment
Third is the Shure Srh840 for being to slow for rock/metal (but accurate mind you)

Amp Requirements
Overall I found all 3 cans are easy to drive and benefit little from amping.
I used both a Fiio E7 and Fiio E5 to test this.

I hope you enjoyed this Review/Comparison.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 28
M50s are actually hated around here now haha. I'm also gonna say that although they aren't neutral; they're "natural", definitely not bassy (shures have more bass quantity over M50s for midbass whereas M50s have more sub bass below 40hz.)

EDIT:

Actually from the FR graphs at headroom, shures are more v shaped haha. (I'm not making a judgment though, never heard the shures)

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
M50s are actually hated around here now haha

I think it's hate has a lot to do with people on here hating anything to popular. I tried them because they were infamously famous. They are good but not $150 good imo. But very fun imo.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
M50s are actually hated around here now haha. I'm also gonna say that although they aren't neutral; they're "natural", definitely not bassy (shures have more bass quantity over M50s for midbass whereas M50s have more sub bass below 40hz.)

EDIT:

Actually from the FR graphs at headroom, shures are more v shaped haha. (I'm not making a judgment though, never heard the shures)

It's ironic because i find the shure's mids to be very forward sounding.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
I think it's hate has a lot to do with people on here hating anything to popular. I tried them because they were infamously famous. They are good but not $150 good imo. But very fun imo.

Personally I don't find the M50s that fun for my hardstyle. Great for all genres of music.. other than hardstyle where they're only just good. They're lacking something with the bass for hardstyle, I don't know what it is but its not as 'fun' as I'd like it to be for that genre :S

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
Personally I don't find the M50s that fun for my hardstyle. Great for all genres of music.. other than hardstyle where they're only just good. They're lacking something with the bass for hardstyle, I don't know what it is but its not as 'fun' as I'd like it to be for that genre :S

Maybe it's just me but i feel they have quite a bit of bass.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 28
Thank you, this was very helpful. I'm looking to get my first pair of full-size headphones and was considering these three. Sounds like the SRH840's will suit my taste the best.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Thank you, this was very helpful. I'm looking to get my first pair of full-size headphones and was considering these three. Sounds like the SRH840's will suit my taste the best.

Well good luck. Glad this was of help.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 28
I'm actually starting to develop a larger appreciation for the ATH M50s the more i listen to them. They are good at everything i though at them and they are unrevealing.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 28
Nice review! I have the HD25s and M50s and have been a little interested in the 840s lately. How natural would you say the 840s sound vs. the M50s? I know they are more accurate but for example, how is the timbre accuracy on the 840s? Also how is the soundstage/imaging of the 840s?

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
Nice review! I have the HD25s and M50s and have been a little interested in the 840s lately. How natural would you say the 840s sound vs. the M50s? I know they are more accurate but for example, how is the timbre accuracy on the 840s? Also how is the soundstage/imaging of the 840s?

The srh840 is a lot clearer and more accurate. Timbre is much better in the srh840 imo over the ath m50. Soundstage wise the ath m50 is a little more closed in then the srh840. All three however are not known for massive sound stages. The srh840 is much smoother and less treble happy while the senn hd 25 1 ii is very V shaped sounding. The ath m50 has badly recessed mid range (guitars, vocals, etc sounds like it's in the background) likewise i find the other 2 cans to be a little more up front in their mids. The srh840 is the most upfront of all 3 allowing for the most midrange detail.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
The srh840 is a lot clearer and more accurate. Timbre is much better in the srh840 imo over the ath m50. Soundstage wise the ath m50 is a little more closed in then the srh840. All three however are not known for massive sound stages. The srh840 is much smoother and less treble happy while the senn hd 25 1 ii is very V shaped sounding. The ath m50 has badly recessed mid range (guitars, vocals, etc sounds like it's in the background) likewise i find the other 2 cans to be a little more up front in their mids. The srh840 is the most upfront of all 3 allowing for the most midrange detail.

Btw try listening to the M50s at louder volumes than you normally would (only for a bit). I swear they get better as the music gets louder..... :S

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
Btw try listening to the M50s at louder volumes than you normally would (only for a bit). I swear they get better as the music gets louder..... :S

I listen rather loud already. I am loving them they are just not as clear as the other 2 but they are definitely a lot of fun.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 28

Quote:

This.

I have them because they were supposed to be pretty nice closed headphones. But $150 is too much for them based on the sound to me.

Quote:
Actually from the FR graphs at headroom

And this is the other problem. People use graphs to represent a headphone that they've never heard way too often, and they recommend things and talk about like they've had hours of intimate listening time with a headphone, just by reading peoples' opinions and then looking at a graph. Graphs are useful. But man they do not represent the total picture, and often times, are so confoundedly wrong in terms of what you hear compared to what you see on the graph. It blows my mind that we even use graphs at this point, to talk about these things, because they're so misleading and are misused/misquoted by people who've not even heard the headphone being referred to.

@OP, good approach to a review with the headphones being chosen and some push towards objectivity and less worrying about what the popular masses of the web think (yet have not even tried).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back