[REVIEW] Beresford TC-7510 MKIII DAC (56k warning)
Apr 3, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, the Chinese in the PCB Board means "English(EUROPAN) verision"

Didn't someone mention in a different thread once that there were PCB differences between the two brand names the DAC has been sold under?
After a quick inquiry it turns out that the maroon caps are part of the continuous product improvements and tweaking. So that's the MKIIIa I would say. They are only fitted to certain locations on the PCB. Very interesting
plainface.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #17 of 273
Wow!!!... there are lot more cap replacements on the DAC board than mine.

Older (my) Model:
img1216su4.jpg

Newer Model:
4.jpg

Apr 3, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #18 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Continuous software updates is a regular feature we have come to accept as part of life. Continuous hardware update is however less frequent. Manufacturers tend to surprise you with a new unit that is more expensive, instead of adding the changes to the existing production line.

I like that big 8200uF cap. Must try it out.

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Continuous software updates is a regular feature we have come to accept as part of life. Continuous hardware update is however less frequent. Manufacturers tend to surprise you with a new unit that is more expensive, instead of adding the changes to the existing production line.

I like that big 8200uF cap. Must try it out.

Actually, continuous hardware update is also extremely popular among smaller hi-fi equipment companies. Zhaolu, for example, has announced D3 when D2 just became available in the North American market. Little Dot changed the model LD2+ to LD2++ within a few months. So, i would say because smaller companies respond to demands and changes more so than larger companies, and much easier to change, hardware updates are expected.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 273
Nice review Penguindude!!! I totally agree with it.

I think everyone here who is deciding on a DAC should just buy the Beresford TC-7510 Mk III! It's the best you can get for the price, and the customer service is AMAZING!!!!!! It only took 3 days to arrive from Taiwan! Stanley is also a pleasure to deal with. He sends quick, courteous replys and obviously cares for his customers alot, as he puts units going over-seas through extra Qaulity Control tests. And to save on tax, he even sends units going to worldwide destinations from Taiwan. Awesome DAC! BUY IT NOW!!!!

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #21 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review Penguindude!!! I totally agree with it.

I think everyone here who is deciding on a DAC should just buy the Beresford TC-7510 Mk III! It's the best you can get for the price, and the customer service is AMAZING!!!!!! It only took 3 days to arrive from Taiwan! Stanley is also a pleasure to deal with. He sends quick, courteous replys and obviously cares for his customers alot, as he puts units going over-seas through extra Qaulity Control tests. And to save on tax, he even sends units going to worldwide destinations from Taiwan. Awesome DAC! BUY IT NOW!!!!

I definitely agree with your comment on Stanley's customer service. However, the shipping speed was terrible to my location, Canada. Took some 2 weeks to arrive. Nonetheless, that was only a bit longer than typical overseas shipment. But yea, I just purchased a line volume control to test out the hiss reducing method for the headphone jack. Besides that, this is an excellent DAC!

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #24 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the dac chip used in the MK111? Why is it such a secret?

No idea, unfortunately, they scratched it out. I think they don't want their simple design that produces great sound gets duplicated or something. Who knows.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #25 of 273
Quote:

If you spent ages in university getting a degree, then served an even longer term working in the industry being insulted by rude bosses and fed with peanuts, how would you feel if the Chinese copied your design in a day and had it on the market in a month?
It happens every day in China, and many great European business has gone under or suffered huge losses because of it.

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #26 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks to me like they are just trying to use up capacitors from their spares box. The PCB was clearly not designed for those capacitors.

I wonder why they do scratch the tops off. What do they have to hide? Making a DAC is hardly top secret stuff. Who is going to try and copy that DAC when you can just copy the schematics out of the datasheets
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #27 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks to me like they are just trying to use up capacitors from their spares box. The PCB was clearly not designed for those capacitors.

I wonder why they do scratch the tops off. What do they have to hide? Making a DAC is hardly top secret stuff. Who is going to try and copy that DAC when you can just copy the schematics out of the datasheets
rolleyes.gif

Well you are wrong about the caps in the spares box. You are right the PCB is not designed for them. The caps are an upgrade based on test results passed on to the company by visitors of head-fi. I understand that a new PCB is under design and that beta-testers on head-fi are currently busy testing a number of sections relating to new features on the new PCB.

By all means follow convention and build a DAC copied from a datasheet. That design was probably done by a component design engineer, not an audiophile. If life was that simple all DACs would have the same circuitry and just about the same price. There would be no need for mods etc.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 273
Quote:

IIRC a PCM1716 is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back