Review: AV-123 X-Head Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Oct 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #16 of 27
That is a heck of a deal!

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 27
Well, to be honest, the shipping was $19 which almost made me not order it.

I know it's still $40 cheaper than when it was on sale for $160 with shipping included (although that would be a totally new and perfect condition one), but that's a total rip off imo.
mad.gif
I've gotten heavy vintage receivers shipped to me for $20 to $30! It should be about $10 to ship, and from what I know about the company I won't even receive it quickly!
frown.gif

But still, under $120 for a slightly marred version of this little amp, I had to get it!
icon10.gif

Oh, and I'll give my impressions of it later, albeit they will be newbie ones!
redface.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 27
There's an x-head right now in the B stock section that's going for $100 if you're from the US.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, to be honest, the shipping was $19 which almost made me not order it.

I know it's still $40 cheaper than when it was on sale for $160 with shipping included (although that would be a totally new and perfect condition one), but that's a total rip off imo.
mad.gif
I've gotten heavy vintage receivers shipped to me for $20 to $30! It should be about $10 to ship, and from what I know about the company I won't even receive it quickly!
frown.gif

But still, under $120 for a slightly marred version of this little amp, I had to get it!
icon10.gif

Oh, and I'll give my impressions of it later, albeit they will be newbie ones!
redface.gif

The B stock price is quite a deal. But if there is B stock that means people are returning the amp because they don't want it.
confused_face_2.gif
Bummer for them, good for you.

I ran the shipping calculator at UPS. Ground shipping for the approx size and weight of the x-head shipping box is about $13 USD. As a business doing a lot of shipping they can get a better deal than that. That's just the shipping cost, no handling or packaging cost added in. So $19 could be considered a little high.

If you're buying something that is in stock there shouldn't be a delay in shipping. AV123 has gotten dinged for selling pre-orders for products that are still in development or not manufactured yet. In those cases you risk long delays due to unforeseen manufacturing problems and such. Some people have been left waiting a long time for some speakers after having pre-paid. Not a good situation. But you won't have that problem with the x-head. It's in stock.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 27
Hey Skylab I was wondering how this amp compares to your mp-301 with lower impedance headphones, just give me an idea of how the mp-301s HP out compares to an amp like this.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B stock price is quite a deal. But if there is B stock that means people are returning the amp because they don't want it.
confused_face_2.gif
Bummer for them, good for you.

I ran the shipping calculator at UPS. Ground shipping for the approx size and weight of the x-head shipping box is about $13 USD. As a business doing a lot of shipping they can get a better deal than that. That's just the shipping cost, no handling or packaging cost added in. So $19 could be considered a little high.

If you're buying something that is in stock there shouldn't be a delay in shipping. AV123 has gotten dinged for selling pre-orders for products that are still in development or not manufactured yet. In those cases you risk long delays due to unforeseen manufacturing problems and such. Some people have been left waiting a long time for some speakers after having pre-paid. Not a good situation. But you won't have that problem with the x-head. It's in stock.

I agree, of course, that even with the pricey shipping it was still a good deal, thus I purchased it.
biggrin.gif

It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine though when companies offer good prices on products but then overcharge for shipping, thus not offering such a good price after all. Since the shipping doesn't cost them as much as they charge for it, they pocket the rest. I would even call this a scam: they get you interested in a product for a good price, then, halfway through ordering you find that the shipping cost is high (which they are profiting from at a high rate because it does NOT cost them as much as they are charging to ship an item) but you go ahead and order anyway because hey, you've already started the process, why not?! But if the shipping price was shown before ordering then you might not even have decided to order in the first place.

Of course, with my example above, there are times when even with high shipping you are still getting a deal. But I still feel that the shipping price was double what it should have been in this case and they are profiting off the high charge unfairly.

For example, I buy a lot of used books from Amazon and the shipping is a flat $4 each--which means that yes, on the lighter books the sellers are making money off the shipping, but, since used books are so cheap compared to new ones, I'm still getting a good deal thus why I order them even with overpriced shipping in this instance too--including very heavy hardback tomes, much heavier than any small amp and packaged just as well with padding and all.

It's a stupid policy to overcharge for shipping, because now I'm turned off to av123 because of it as I have been with other companies (some of which I haven't ordered from because the item was not worth it when the shipping was factored in even if it was a good price without the inflated shipping cost).

I have followed av123 for years (but never ordered anything until now) because they do offer good products at good prices and you can tell the owner is very passionate about them (or pretends to be at least) by reading his posts on their and other forums. But what has kept me from ordering from them all this time is that the company is SO disorganized, the worst I think I've seen! The owner spends way too much time babbling in the forums and designing new products, half of which never get finished/developed no matter how many get excited about them, and there are logistic problems all over the place with the products that do get made (or mostly made)! It's ridiculous: a classic case of AD; stick to finishing one damn product or line, from development to end, don't just half design it or half finish it's production and then drop it and flitter away to the next half finished idea you have and thus create another mess of another probably good (but never completed or at least finished in any reasonable time frame) product! I don't see how anything gets done there at all, the owner is a total rattlebrain. Get your sh#t together av123! Take a clue from your name: Step 1, THEN 2, THEN 3, not 2, then 1, then back to 2, then 3, then back to 1, then...opps, drop the whole product!

Ok, rant over!
biggrin.gif
I don't know why I should care, I'm not the one who is going to have to wait months to get a product I paid for or get one that was half done repaired! At least I hope not...
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #23 of 27
I tried Blutarsky's AV123 X-Head amp a few months ago, and if I recall correctly I felt it could probably compete with my HeadFive or a stock Travagans Red and Cute Beyond amps in the same price range; but I liked the EF1 more when compared side by side ($299 vs $199 though). Still, one shouldn't regret the X-Head at this price for an entry level amp.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 27
Got it!
bigsmile_face.gif

THIS is "B" stock?
confused_face_2.gif
The description said it had a scratch and a dent. There is a tiny dent right under the wood top in the metal on one side way in the back and, if I look at the right angle in the light, a tiny scratch on the front near the wood top by a screw. Both are hardly noticeable, especially in the low-light I keep my small office in. In fact, if there is any complaint I have about appearance, it would be the screws on the face themselves!

Either way, $100 off for these "blemishes" is an incredible deal. I would think $20 off would suffice! (Which would cover the ridiculous price of shipping!
mad.gif
tongue.gif
)

First sound impression (with only about 20 minutes of listening): Very nice, definite upgrade from whatever was in my Cambridge azur 640a v2 amp headphone jack:

More clarity and micro detail (which I love), and smoother all round (less harsh--actually it isn't harsh at all to me, but my head phone out was).

More powerful and more "energy" (seems to keep up with the music better--PRAT). In fact this thing can CRANK and doesn't seem to "break up" or become incoherent at higher volumes (that may be more due to my headphones though).

Bass is tight, very articulate and smooth, however it isn't overpowering for bassheads (of which I am not); it is lean, dry perhaps. Bass is certainly more than before though...bass output was really anemic out of my head phone jack, and I find it now satisfying and actually accurate (not over done). But it's more of a "hear, not feel" presence (but if I want that I'll put on my speakers and sub!).

Sound stage is larger too, with everything where it should be. Imaging is better as well.

Vocals are more pronounced and forward, overall where they should be in the mix.

Overall a significant upgrade from my head phone out.
smile_phones.gif
I would say the sound is just how I like: neutral, leaning towards bright, lean, crisp, dry, articulate, accurate, transparent, and with good PRAT. Pretty nice for $120!
icon10.gif

Oh, my cans are Senn HD595's, and this is hooked into my Cambridge DAC Magic and I'm playing FLAC files out of the computer.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #25 of 27
Semi-epic bump...

Is there a link to the official manufacturer's website (the one in the 1st post is dead)?

Does the manufacturer exist anymore?

Is there a link to the specs?

Where can you actually buy it new?

Cheers!!

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #26 of 27
AV123 no longer exist.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
Semi-epic bump...

Is there a link to the official manufacturer's website (the one in the 1st post is dead)?

Does the manufacturer exist anymore?

Is there a link to the specs?

Where can you actually buy it new?

Cheers!!

Quote:
AV123 no longer exist.

We have one of these amps, and it's performance is somewhere near the level of that of the Travagans Red or Meier Headfive or HiFiMan EF2.  You could just pick up one of those.  I also own the AV123 Onyx Rocket subwoofer, and the X-Static full size speakers that were displayed at RMAF in 2009.  Had two subs but one of them died upon arrival and now AV123 is gone and can't get it fixed.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back