Review: AV-123 X-Head Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Intro and Design

A few weeks ago I received the “Version 2” of the X-Head for review. I had been sent one of the original X-Heads for review many months back, but the first version had a hum problem. I wasn’t sure that this amp was ever going to be produced in the end, but here it is. And from what I can tell, it’s a good thing the amp DID finally come to market – it sets a new benchmark for inexpensive solid-state home headphone amps.

First of all, it is a well built and very nice looking unit:

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

Manufacturers information: X-Head

I like the fact that it has an internal power supply – no wall wart here. I’m not wild about the push-button volume control, which provides no indication of what level the volume is set at. However, smartly, the X-Head seems to re-set itself to a low level whenever it’s powered on or off, so damage to hearing or headphones is very unlikely. Having two headphone outs can be handy as well.

I auditioned the XHead with the AT ESW9, Kenwood KH1000, Beyer DT880 and 990, and the Sennheiser HD800 – all of which cost significantly more than the X-Head does. And none embarrassed the X-Head. Even the HD800-XHead pairing wasn’t too bad, although I find the HD800 to be bright, and as such, the sound with the XHead was bright, and since there are amps out there with smoother and less grainy treble, this was not an ideal pairing, but it wasn’t bad, either.

Sources used for the review were the Yulong DAH-1 Mk II DAC, my Denon CDRW-1500 CD Player, and the RWA iMod iPos with ALO VCAP Dock.

Also, given the issues with the V1, I should note that for the several weeks I listened to it, I had no problem at all with the X-Head – it was dead quiet, and performed flawlessly.

Sounds Like This...

The treble was clean, and largely grain-free, and reasonably detailed. It was not the smoothest I have ever heard, and there could sometimes be a slight metallic edge to it. But it was never over the top, and on headphones like the ESW9 and KH1000, it was a very good match. With the DT990 and HD800, the combined treble performance of amp and can wasn’t as symbiotic.

Mids in general were open and transparent sounding, although just a touch dry and hollow compared to much better amps (and compared to just about any tube amp). Female vocals were well presented, but not as lush as you get from more expensive amps. The vocals on Pink Martini’s “Tempo Perdido” were certainly enjoyable, but you get a little more body on the sound on the Audio GD C-2-C or the Head-Direct EF1. Still, in and of itself, it was enjoyable performance.

The bass is full and well controlled. Impact on “Heart of Wilderness” by Big Head Todd and the Monsters was meaty and punchy, as it should be on this track. The XHead doesn’t seem to be able to muster much strength in the bottom octave, but nothing is sloppy, and the bass is quite satisfying.

Soundstaging was also very good. In “Long Distance Runaround”, from the MFSL remaster of Yes’s “Fragile”, Jon Anderson’s voice was set back in the stage, as it should be, with Chris Squire’s bass up front. The band as a whole was well laid out. The XHead even manages to push the soundstage outside your head at bit, as was evidenced on “The Fish” (also from “Fragile”).

What you do not get, sonically, with the X-Head, or probably any headphone in this price class, is the last work in transparency, or nuance. While the XHead is reasonably transparent, it is definitely a little veiled compared to other amps I have (which if course are much more expensive). And things like the decay of cymbals, and the tone of strings, are a little less natural than you hear with higher-end amps. It's not to be expected in this segment of the amp market, and you do not get it. But overall, the X-Head is very enjoyable to listen to.

Comparatively Speaking...

Compared to the headphone amp built into the Yulong DAH-1, with the DAC of the Yulong driving the X-Head, the sound was not very different, but there was a smoothness to the sound with the X-Head that was lacking with the DAH-1, yet the X-Head did not sound rolled-off at all. I’m not sure this was enough of an improvement to warrant the extra $200 over just using the Yulong by itself, but if you already have a DAC with either no headphone out, or a headphone out that isn’t very good, then the X-Head might be just the ticket.

Compared to the Audio-GD C-2-C, the X-Head could not compete. The C-2-C is simply better in every possible dimension. However, the C-2-C is almost twice as expensive, and it is much larger. I think the C-2-C is also, itself, an incredible bargain, so the fact that the C-2-C is better is no great shock. But for the asking price, the X-Head provides very good sound indeed, and is not as far off from what the C-2-C provides as one would expect for it being so inexpensive. Still, if you can afford the C-2-C, it will provide better performance.

In the End...

So, in summing up – would I buy the XHead? I would, under the following conditions:
1.I couldn’t spend more than $200.
2.I didn’t want to use a tube amp.
I personally think that tube amps, especially at the lower price points, are more satisfying. I’d go for an Eddie Current LunchBox II over the X-Head, if it were my money. But some people don’t want to deal with tubes, and in that case, I cannot imagine how you could get better sound for your $200 than with the X-head. So in that respect, it gets a high recommendation from me.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 27
Nice review as usual Skylab. Your impressions mirror my own with ESW9A's. A very satisfying combo indeed. I would also like to add that I agree with you in choosing the LunchBox over the X-head in that price-range. I have the LunchBox Pro and it is a cut above - particularly from the mids on up. Tubes ya know!

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 27
Hi Skylab, I was wondering if you have had any experience with the Corda Canatate.2, and if so, how would you compare it to the X-Head? I already bought the Cantate but it hasn't arrived yet so don't have any comments about the amp yet. Nice review as always man.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 27
Thanks. I have not heard the Cantate.2, but the original Cantate was a better amp than the X-Head.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 27
Nice review! Perhaps it should be compared with the Hifiman EF2 which immtbiker is currently using and should be available to be sent your way shortly. BTW, I received the updated Solo SRGII which I am burning in and should be going out in a month or so, plan on sending the previous unit (Solo SRG) to do a side by side.

Guys, att $200 it is an inexpensive amp and there is only so much that should be expected. The good thing is that now we have an amp in this price range which should make for a good intro amp or a lower price unit for many.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 27
Looks like a really nice amp. And for $200, it's a good deal. Paired with some Grados or a budget headphone you got a nice package. For the budget audiophile people: jump on it!

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good, I'm looking to get my first amp, don't much care for "warm" tube sound, and don't want to spend more than $150 or so and this is currently $160 so...

Jump sooner rather than later if you like the sale price. An email announcement of the sale went out to AV123 customers on the 17th. It mentioned that it's 100 units only. No idea how long those 100 units will last.

I have an x-head and really like it. It's great, especially given its price. I've heard better amps at meets but they've all been several multiples more in cost.

My main complaints or quibbles are mostly with the interface. It would be nice to have an LED that lets you know when the mute is active. It would also be nice to have some sort of visual indication of what the volume is at. Either a row of LEDs or an LCD number display. I've gotten used to holding the up volume button and counting to 10 when I start up the amp. That gets the volume to a reasonable starting point with my headphones. Then I put on the headphones and do a volume adjustment from there to the level that I want to listen at. When I switch from my HD600 to my Denon D2000 I click the down volume a few times. When I switch to my Grados I hit the down volume a few additional times. It's when switching to the Grados that I have to be more careful that I don't have the volume too high.

Soundwise I like it. It delivers on what an amp is supposed to do. You get an increase in soundstage, better control of the bass, better dynamics, things like that. It's giving you more than just an increase in volume. I use it with Sennheiser HD600, Denon D2000, and Grado SR60. It does well with them. The HD600 can do better with a better amp, but the x-head certainly gives them a kick in the right direction. My idea with the x-head is that it gets you onto the playing field of good proper amping. I'm quite happy with its level of performance. If I get itchy for a different amp it would be to get the HD600 up to the next level. I'm not sure how much that better amp would cost me.

The price point the x-head is at makes it very appealing. Especially for those who may be looking at similarly priced portable amps as a desktop amp substitute. The x-head will drive full sized headphones better.

The x-head is also reasonably compact and transportable. No protruding buttons, knobs, or switches to snag on things if you stuff it into a pack or briefcase. Easily transportable as long as you don't get too worried about potentially scratching up the wood top.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 27
I'm kind of thinking of getting one.

Right now I'm running a Compass -> Mini^3 already though. Any idea if it would be a considerable improvement or whether I'd be better off saving for something like an M^3?

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jump sooner rather than later if you like the sale price. An email announcement of the sale went out to AV123 customers on the 17th. It mentioned that it's 100 units only. No idea how long those 100 units will last.

I have an x-head and really like it. It's great, especially given its price. I've heard better amps at meets but they've all been several multiples more in cost.

My main complaints or quibbles are mostly with the interface. It would be nice to have an LED that lets you know when the mute is active. It would also be nice to have some sort of visual indication of what the volume is at. Either a row of LEDs or an LCD number display. I've gotten used to holding the up volume button and counting to 10 when I start up the amp. That gets the volume to a reasonable starting point with my headphones. Then I put on the headphones and do a volume adjustment from there to the level that I want to listen at. When I switch from my HD600 to my Denon D2000 I click the down volume a few times. When I switch to my Grados I hit the down volume a few additional times. It's when switching to the Grados that I have to be more careful that I don't have the volume too high.

Soundwise I like it. It delivers on what an amp is supposed to do. You get an increase in soundstage, better control of the bass, better dynamics, things like that. It's giving you more than just an increase in volume. I use it with Sennheiser HD600, Denon D2000, and Grado SR60. It does well with them. The HD600 can do better with a better amp, but the x-head certainly gives them a kick in the right direction. My idea with the x-head is that it gets you onto the playing field of good proper amping. I'm quite happy with its level of performance. If I get itchy for a different amp it would be to get the HD600 up to the next level. I'm not sure how much that better amp would cost me.

The price point the x-head is at makes it very appealing. Especially for those who may be looking at similarly priced portable amps as a desktop amp substitute. The x-head will drive full sized headphones better.

The x-head is also reasonably compact and transportable. No protruding buttons, knobs, or switches to snag on things if you stuff it into a pack or briefcase. Easily transportable as long as you don't get too worried about potentially scratching up the wood top.

Thanks for that info.
beerchug.gif

Yea, the interface seems to lack, but no big deal.

I've got some Senn HD595's, a cambridge DAC Magic and cambridge azur 640a amp...think it would work with that? I like neutral to bright/lean/tight sound...

As of now my cans plugged directly into the amp sound decent, almost good enough for me to just leave alone (but I can tell the sound is anemic and not where it should be), and I have in fact left this set up alone for over a year or so despite having money to spend on an amp (I don't listen to headphones all that much for one thing).

I got a FiiO E5 amp for my Cowon D2 and RE2's and was amazed how much that cheap little thing improved the sound, so I think I'd be pretty easily satisfied (I almost am as is with the set up now so...).
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got some Senn HD595's, a cambridge DAC Magic and cambridge azur 640a amp...think it would work with that? I like neutral to bright/lean/tight sound...

I have no experience with the HD595 so can't say how it responds to amping or how necessary a dedicated headphone amp is compared to your Cambridge integrated speaker amp. Some integrated amps actually do pretty well with some headphones. You might want to start a new thread (or search old threads) to ask how the HD595 does with amping.

For the sound signature of the x-head I'll defer to Skylab's review. He has much more experience comparing the sound of different amps than I do. Just keep in mind that Skylab really likes the tube amp sound. And the Audio GD C-2C solid state amp he is comparing to is near $500 and quite a bit bigger than the little x-head.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no experience with the HD595 so can't say how it responds to amping or how necessary a dedicated headphone amp is compared to your Cambridge integrated speaker amp. Some integrated amps actually do pretty well with some headphones. You might want to start a new thread (or search old threads) to ask how the HD595 does with amping.

For the sound signature of the x-head I'll defer to Skylab's review. He has much more experience comparing the sound of different amps than I do. Just keep in mind that Skylab really likes the tube amp sound. And the Audio GD C-2C solid state amp he is comparing to is near $500 and quite a bit bigger than the little x-head.

Thanks for the info, I thought you would mention that my amp might be alright on its own, and I thought that I read that it had a separate headphone amp when I bought it, but now all I can find in the manual is:

"the headphone output is now provided by a separate Class A headphone driver circuit".

Either way, my cans sound thin and weak to me (but still decent) like they could use amping or more amping if they are getting some out of the 640a (v2). So I figured an inexpensive amp would do wonders, just like my Fiio E5 did for my RE2's. I'm pretty sure my 595's are fairly easy to drive to.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 27
Well, I saw one in "B" stock for $99 so I figured at that price there was little competition (besides portable amps) so I jumped on it! (It's now back up to $199 regularly).

I bet I'll like it, and for that price there isn't much of a risk.
biggrin.gif

Thanks to all for the info/advice in this thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back