[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-1: Diamond in the Rough. (Rev 1.2 Update Added)
May 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 86
Quote:
Just received my ASG-1 1.2 upgrade. Huge difference - no more shouting! Much better balance. Still struggling a bit with tips, but I have some clear double flanges (Meelec?) that seem to work pretty well.

Nice! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Boost the treble a bit, and hold on to your chair.

May 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #32 of 86
Didn't catch this, but have you broken in your ASG-1 since you received your revision? Wondering if that might fix lack of treble. (mine are on the way!)

May 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #33 of 86
Quote:
Didn't catch this, but have you broken in your ASG-1 since you received your revision? Wondering if that might fix lack of treble. (mine are on the way!)

I have about 30 hours on them now, and I've somewhat gotten used to the default treble presentation. However, I can hear the filters dampening the treble so I prefer to boost it a bit. I have a feeling you're going to prefer them over everything else you have.

May 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #34 of 86
I don't think the asg-1 has a treble problem, to me the problem lies in a 20-30 generic westone cable that comes with them, a upgraded cable makes this puppies shine on the high end.

May 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 86
Quote:
I don't think the asg-1 has a treble problem, to me the problem lies in a 20-30 generic westone cable that comes with them, a upgraded cable makes this puppies shine on the high end.

I'll try to get my hands on the Chirs_HImself cables.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #38 of 86
These babies have to be eq-ed?

Would you still recommend them over the GR07 if they cost 1.75x as much?

:/

I truly feel these drivers have a lot of potential, perhaps moreso than the gr07s, simply due to the power they exude. We just need enough people with the balls to be okay with tinkering with them. And since the market is flooded right now with them, and it seems ill be sitting on mine for a while, I might end up playing around with some things.

As far as a new cable goes, I've really been thinking that. If one of our lovely MOTs wants to let me see how much difference it would make to these, pm me and we can demo exchange some gear for a couple weeks :wink:

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #39 of 86
Quote:
I truly feel these drivers have a lot of potential, perhaps moreso than the gr07s, simply due to the power they exude. We just need enough people with the balls to be okay with tinkering with them. And since the market is flooded right now with them, and it seems ill be sitting on mine for a while, I might end up playing around with some things.
As far as a new cable goes, I've really been thinking that. If one of our lovely MOTs wants to let me see how much difference it would make to these, pm me and we can demo exchange some gear for a couple weeks
wink.gif

These drivers have plenty of potential.  That's for sure.  Cables might be good for it (if you can find a brighter cable, it will do wonders to it :)).

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #40 of 86
Quote:
These babies have to be eq-ed?

Would you still recommend them over the GR07 if they cost 1.75x as much?

:/

I understand your sentiment. However, for me the EQ can be as simple as the "treble booster" preset that comes with every DAP. The difference in soundstage and power over the GR07 make it all worth it though. There are some songs where I actually prefer the stock sound over the EQ'ed one.

The ASG-1 has better mids IMO, more bass with slightly better quality (it can go from non-existent, to blowing head off. It's VERY well controlled), and it's slightly slower than the GR07 due to the heavier quality of the sound.

EQ isn't a dirty word.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #41 of 86
My favorite IEM, the Vsonic GR07 exemplifies who I am as a person. Visually, it's unassuming, but classy. It's sound signature has no alliances with either extreme, and it chooses the path of the middle road. It's what I'd call exquisitely balanced. It's an IEM that I could listen to for hours on end with 100s of different genres of music, and it would never skip a beat due to its versatility. If the 4.A carries this same quality, then I would be honored to own it.

0b519c93_IMG_8257a.jpg

Favourite IEM = GR07??? What happened to the ASG-1.2?

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #44 of 86
Quote:
Oh alright! That's completley fair enough. Oh and apparently the GR07 I reviewed had some sub bass problems, so.... That may explain a thing or two.

I knew something was up. Looks like you'll have to get yourself another pair to redo your review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back