REVIEW - AUNE AUDIO S16 - Single box DAC and Headphone Amplifier.
Feb 17, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #76 of 95
Hi

How do you set the DAC to 384 khz?

I been using it at 192 for while now, as windows is locked at the rate. 

googling suggested this ASIO program.

I use windows using USB

let me know

thanks 

-PL

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #78 of 95
Has anyone tried comparing this unit with the Grace m9XX or Audio GD NFB28? I've got the m9xx and also can get the NFB28 for around the price of the S16, so I'd like some input, especially on the DAC section.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #80 of 95
I'm surprised there is not more info/reviews out regarding this unit.

I'm waiting to setup my listening desk properly to test out as much of my gear as I can, so don't have any answers for you yet (other than it sounded good??)

I picked up the S16 for about half price (ex demo unit) over a year ago and was blown away by the options it offered.

From what I gather on here (taken with a grain of salt) the DAC is great and the AMP is OK - will be testing both out against/with my other gear in the near future. That said though - am pretty "noob" with the listening/hearing side of things (other than "Yay/Nay") so aren't sure that to expect.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #81 of 95
I had Aune s16 (my) and borrowed HD800.
It sounded very good, the bass was satisfactory. Its interesting, to me HD800 with Aune s16 not sounded "aggressive" or thin. Also treble were not annoying. The only amplifier in Aune S16 was too weak. Otherwise, the DAC section in Aune S16 is excellent. They can compete with much more expensive converters. And I like the sound of AKM. My opinion is that the combination of Aune s16 + HD650 ... it will be too dark sounding. For my taste.

regards,
Simon

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #82 of 95
Am looking at trying the DAC of the S16 with the AMP of the HDVD800 once I'm up and running to see how they go together (DAC of the 800 is meant to be the "weak" point as the AMP in the S16 is)

If they do work well together the options of inputs and outputs will be huge once they're combined.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #83 of 95
  Am looking at trying the DAC of the S16 with the AMP of the HDVD800 once I'm up and running to see how they go together (DAC of the 800 is meant to be the "weak" point as the AMP in the S16 is)

If they do work well together the options of inputs and outputs will be huge once they're combined.

I think this is very good combination

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #84 of 95
Am hoping so.

That said - I'm not too sure of the levels of "poor" on the HDVD DAC and the S16 AMP given the different price points.

The "poor" DAC in the HDVD800 may still be better than the "awesome for it's price" DAC in the S16

Also not too sure of the abilities of my ears/head to notice anything but huge differences in either:S

My level of audio nuances is "Crap, Bad, OK, Good, Great, Smiling ear to ear", with a little of "Better/worse with this type of music/useage"

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #86 of 95
Hello guys ^^

I'll going to buy a new Dac and looking at Aune S16 and S6, which one do you think I should buy and whats the bennefit of the two?

Im going to use the Balanced Outputs combined with the Woo Audio WA22 + HD800S so i only need a good Dac!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #87 of 95
Hello guys ^^

I'll going to buy a new Dac and looking at Aune S16 and S6, which one do you think I should buy and whats the bennefit of the two?

Im going to use the Balanced Outputs combined with the Woo Audio WA22 + HD800S so i only need a good Dac!

I've been using an Aune S16 as my Primary DAC in my listening station for well over a year now. It is a fantastic DAC very musical, detailed, with a dead silent noise floor. It is every bit as good as my Chord Mojo and in some ways better. The one negative issue I've experienced is a rather annoying transient pop when the unit switches from DSD content back to PCM. This pop does not occur when starting DSD content only when it switches back to PCM from DSD. If you have the volume up loud it can be rather jaring and I've sometimes worried about possible damage to certain headphones however no headphones I've used have been adversely effected so far. I generally try to remember to turn the volume down when I know I'm switching to non DSD source material.

The headphone amp section of the S16 is merely adequate in my experience. The volume knob has to be cranked up to the 70%+ point to power more demanding cans. It's sound is okay but nowhere nearly as good as either the H10 or Crack. I've not heard the WA22 but knowing how well the Crack combines with the s16 I can't imagine the Woo/S16 pairing being anything other than excellent to fantastic.

I generally run the balanced out to a Gustard H10 and the RCA outs to my Bottlehead Crack. The S16 is nice paired with either amp especially when using the H10 for orthodynamics and the Bottlehead with Senn HD6xx series or Beyer T90. If you don't mind dealing with the DSD to PCM pop or don't mess with DSD the S16 is hard to beat if you can get one for no more than $550 or so. (Amazon has 2 at $499 as I type this) At the full retail price of $699 you are getting into lots stiffer competition in the DAC world.

I've not found much information regarding the S6 however if the S16 is any indication it's very likely that it too will be one of Aune's better products. I'm not sure that the S6 is positioned to be a higher end product than the S16 however it appears that the S6 has replaced the S16 on Aune's own website. I would assume the S16 is now discontinued since it has been deleted from their products section. Also, I get the feeling that the S6 is really a lateral update to their flagship dac/headphone amp. The S6 has the slightly higher specced AKM DAC chip and I've not seen any confirmation that it uses the same or better Crystek clock chips that are present in the S16. I credit much of the Aune's superior performance due to these extremely precise and rather expensive USA made clock chips.

BTW.. My full signal chain: Windows 10 PC > Schiit Wyrd > Gustard U12 USB Interface > S16 via AES/EBU input > Gustard H10 or Bottlehead Crack. I think using the U12's AES/EBU output into the S16 improves overall smoothness and resolution by just a bit over Wyrd directly into the S16's own USB.

If you decide to go with either Aune it would be nice to hear your thoughts regarding performance with the Woo.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #88 of 95
Am (planning on once I get my self sorted) giving the S16 DAC (not the AMP) and the HDVD800 AMP (not the DAC) a good listen to as that seems to use the best parts of each, while bypassing the weakest ands eeing how the combo fares vs using the full units individually.

That said - I've been planning on that for a while - got good deals on both, but haven't had a chance to get round to having a listening weekend in far too long - usually just running the HDVD800 as the complete unit, or in conjunction with a Creative X7 for VSS.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #89 of 95
Can’t say it better myself. However I prefer the S16 to other amp/Dac in the same price range as it feels “softer” and thus more tuned to my music

I've been using an Aune S16 as my Primary DAC in my listening station for well over a year now. It is a fantastic DAC very musical, detailed, with a dead silent noise floor. It is every bit as good as my Chord Mojo and in some ways better. The one negative issue I've experienced is a rather annoying transient pop when the unit switches from DSD content back to PCM. This pop does not occur when starting DSD content only when it switches back to PCM from DSD. If you have the volume up loud it can be rather jaring and I've sometimes worried about possible damage to certain headphones however no headphones I've used have been adversely effected so far. I generally try to remember to turn the volume down when I know I'm switching to non DSD source material.

The headphone amp section of the S16 is merely adequate in my experience. The volume knob has to be cranked up to the 70%+ point to power more demanding cans. It's sound is okay but nowhere nearly as good as either the H10 or Crack. I've not heard the WA22 but knowing how well the Crack combines with the s16 I can't imagine the Woo/S16 pairing being anything other than excellent to fantastic.

I generally run the balanced out to a Gustard H10 and the RCA outs to my Bottlehead Crack. The S16 is nice paired with either amp especially when using the H10 for orthodynamics and the Bottlehead with Senn HD6xx series or Beyer T90. If you don't mind dealing with the DSD to PCM pop or don't mess with DSD the S16 is hard to beat if you can get one for no more than $550 or so. (Amazon has 2 at $499 as I type this) At the full retail price of $699 you are getting into lots stiffer competition in the DAC world.

I've not found much information regarding the S6 however if the S16 is any indication it's very likely that it too will be one of Aune's better products. I'm not sure that the S6 is positioned to be a higher end product than the S16 however it appears that the S6 has replaced the S16 on Aune's own website. I would assume the S16 is now discontinued since it has been deleted from their products section. Also, I get the feeling that the S6 is really a lateral update to their flagship dac/headphone amp. The S6 has the slightly higher specced AKM DAC chip and I've not seen any confirmation that it uses the same or better Crystek clock chips that are present in the S16. I credit much of the Aune's superior performance due to these extremely precise and rather expensive USA made clock chips.

BTW.. My full signal chain: Windows 10 PC > Schiit Wyrd > Gustard U12 USB Interface > S16 via AES/EBU input > Gustard H10 or Bottlehead Crack. I think using the U12's AES/EBU output into the S16 improves overall smoothness and resolution by just a bit over Wyrd directly into the S16's own USB.

If you decide to go with either Aune it would be nice to hear your thoughts regarding performance with the Woo.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #90 of 95

Thx for the Reply.
I did go for the Aune S16 and using the RCA atm, im still waiting for my Audioquest Red River XLR to arrive. Hope it's sound's even better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back