[REVIEW] Audiofly AF78 Hybrid IEM: A Very Brave Proposition
May 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #16 of 28
Yeh me neither when they have been trying to things like the cable right, why not the whole thing. It depends what they were using to reference it again. If they were using a worse earphone wit would have sounded okay and they would have probably overlooked it, somehow.

May 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 28
interestingly I don't think they got the cable right - unusable over the ear - too thick (or is it the sheath?) and uncurls, twists, tangles and is microphonic (unusable for me worn straight down w.o a clip that I took off a headset). on the + side - might be durable and according to audiofly isolates from interference well?

May 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #18 of 28
Nice review, I was thinking about getting these but with the dynamic driver handling the mids and bass doesn't sound like it works to well.

May 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
Nice review, I was thinking about getting these but with the dynamic driver handling the mids and bass doesn't sound like it works to well.

It can go either way really...  Depends on how they tuned the entire system, not entirely what part of the system does what. 

May 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
interestingly I don't think they got the cable right - unusable over the ear - too thick (or is it the sheath?) and uncurls, twists, tangles and is microphonic (unusable for me worn straight down w.o a clip that I took off a headset). on the + side - might be durable and according to audiofly isolates from interference well?

They did not get it perfect but it is not that bad. I have not found it microphonic for a start, well not to a point of annoyance. It is unusable over the ear but then they do not feel comfortable at all with that wearing style and were made to be cable down. It does however still keep the shape from were it was bent in the original packaging and that is rather annoying.
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with their choice of set-up. I mean a hybrid with dynamic mids and lows could easily compete with a hybrid with just dynamic lows with the right tuning. The low mids are actually pleasant enough and it is the crossover area, high mids, that they just sound really strange, un-smoothed and well wrong.
Quote:

It can go either way really...  Depends on how they tuned the entire system, not entirely what part of the system does what. 

I agree. The above statement pretty much agrees with that.

May 31, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #21 of 28
The only flat cable I've had that has actually not tangled is the Philips Downtown cable.  That thing is built to perfection.  I wish I could say the same about the Underground's cable, for some odd reason it's a lot thinner.

May 31, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
The only flat cable I've had that has actually not tangled is the Philips Downtown cable.  That thing is built to perfection.  I wish I could say the same about the Underground's cable, for some odd reason it's a lot thinner.

This no longer has a flat cable. They changed it, if you look at the pictures you will see. The TDK cable is also very tangle resistant and flat!

May 31, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
This no longer has a flat cable. They changed it, if you look at the pictures you will see. The TDK cable is also very tangle resistant and flat!

The Audiofly?  The pics on the site still show flat cables :p 

May 31, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

The Audiofly?  The pics on the site still show flat cables :p 

Yeh the Audiofly AF78. They have not updates the site. Look at the review of these on the OP and the picures in it.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
They did not get it perfect but it is not that bad. I have not found it microphonic for a start, well not to a point of annoyance. It is unusable over the ear but then they do not feel comfortable at all with that wearing style and were made to be cable down. It does however still keep the shape from were it was bent in the original packaging and that is rather annoying.
There is nothing wrong with their choice of set-up. I mean a hybrid with dynamic mids and lows could easily compete with a hybrid with just dynamic lows with the right tuning. The low mids are actually pleasant enough and it is the crossover area, high mids, that they just sound really strange, un-smoothed and well wrong.
I agree. The above statement pretty much agrees with that.

I love these and have actually had these well before I got my Q701's. Mostly I think it just depends on what type of music you listen to, while I do believe they lack mid-range bass they sure do a hell of a job for a hybrid and have excellent clarity with treble range frequencies. I'm pretty satisfied with them.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
Nice to see that you like them. personally i think they are un coherent and you can easily do better for a quarter of the price....

Maybe not for a quarter of the price but they are a tad overpriced. It is priced to sell to those looking for great accesories as well, so it's easy to tell the whole price doesn't go to the SQ.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 28
Thanks for the discussion. For those wanting a cable that wraps around the ear (more secure & greater isolation), and cross-over circuitry, check out the AF120. We're looking forward to seeing a review on head-fi soon… www.audiofly.com/en/headphones/af120-detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back