[REVIEW] AudioFly AF45
Apr 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
I lived in Australia a few years back. If anything, it is not just a continent full of deserts, but also for barren land for audiophile. Good stores with great gears are few and far between, and only make worst by their usual higher-than-international price tag. Yet, it is this land that AudioFly is born and takes the world by surprise. Here we take a look at AF45, which is more of a lower end (*but not the lowest) model in their whole line-up.

AF45-01.jpg

AF45-02.jpg

Spec
Driver: 11mm Dynamic Transducer
Frequency Response: 18Hz – 20kHz
Impedance: 16ohm
Sensitivity: 118dB @ 1kHz
Cable: 1.2m with 3.5mm stereo plug.

AF45-03.jpg

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality
Packaging is plastic and a little bland. Fairly similar to what you would expect from some of the bigger brands. Accessories are quite good. The included eartips (S, M, L) are excellent in quality, and so is the soft pouch.

AF45-04.jpg

The IEM itself, like the accessories, is very well built. The earpieces as well as the stereo plug are both blend of hard plastic and engraved aluminum. The cable has Kevlar reinforced inner core and a fabric outer sleeve. But not just any fabric sleeve – it comes from Cordura, a company that specialize in making very durable fabric product. Overall, the IEM looks more expensive than its US$62 (or AU$60) price tag would have suggested.

As with any IEM with fabric sleeve, there is some microphonics issue though not terrible. Would be nice if a shirt clip is included, but the IEM can be wore over-the-ear if wanted. There are also very mild driver flex on both earpiece as well, again, noticeable but not terrible in any way. Isolation is about average. If I were to make one minor complain, it will be the lack of left / right marking. Instead, there are three small bumps on the right side that are easily missed and rather confusing since most bumps are found on IEM left side instead of right.

AF45-05.jpg

Sound Quality
The IEM has been given roughly 50+ hours of burn-in before auditioning.

The sound signature of AF45 is close to being bass dominant. It is ‘close’ because the bass is on the slightly boomy side. It reaches down deep but has more quantity on the upper bass region. It doesn’t however overshadow the rest of the frequencies or comes out uninvited, and give the overall presentation a kind of fun and dynamic impression, boomy yet not totally out of control. Mid is slightly laid back compared to the stronger bass, not quite being recessed but not very forwarded either. While not totally bland, vocal is decent and doesn’t have a very strong flavor. Treble has really good extension but follows a similar fashion as mid – smooth with sparkle but lacks just a tad more crispiness. If the upper treble stands out just a bit more, it could very become a V-shaped sound like ECCI PR401.

Warm, smooth and centering around the lower end of the frequency - AF45 has a rather inoffensive sound that doesn’t excel or lacking in any particular genre. It kind of reminds me of HifiMan RE400 with its similar tuning, given that AF45 is not as good sounding. Still, it makes for a good all-arounder, competing against some for the better sub-$100 IEM such as Spider realvoice, Astrotec AM90 and almost the Brainwavz M5.

AF45-06.jpg

Verdict
Being at the lower end of AudioFly’s line up, AF45 has a really good build quality and SQ to match its price tag. By no mean a giant killer or a sub-par offering, it is still a good buy in its own right.

A thank to AudioFly for the sample.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 21
Nice review - I bought the AF56 with the 13mm driver and was surprised that it wasn't a bass dominated IEM - it definitely required a bit of burn in before the thickness dissolved into a nice clear full-range sound. I have quickly gotten used to the braille-like bumps that indicate the right driver and was then fully prepared when my VC02's came with the single bump to indicate the right side. Now while there is a large R & L silkscreened on the body of the AF56, there certainly isn't any additional marking on the VC02 that I can cipher. I also like the quality of the cable and the metal case that came with mine. The tips, on the other hand, I had a hard time getting a proper seal with. I ended up using Comply to get a good seal since the AF56 likes to sit at the opening of the ear canal. Nice phones from a company I would like to support. One of my favorite bands of all time is Midnight Oil - they are brilliant and they were one of the first bands to really pay attentio n to the recording process. Anything I can do to support my Aussie friends, I will do!

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 21
When Amazon had the AF45 and the AF56 on sale for very low prices I bought one of each and ended up giving them as gifts.  The AF56 had driver flex but has surprisingly decent sound.  The AF45 was more bass dominant but isn't bad if you get it cheap.  Neither IEM is worth their MSRP.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 21
Most interested in the AF78!

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 21
More interested in the new Performance series that debut at CES. Haven't heard much of them since...

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 21
Forgive a noob-question but what's a driver flex?

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Forgive a noob-question but what's a driver flex?

I don't experience driver flex in my AF56 (the crackling sound you can hear when pushing in a dynamic IEM into your ear and having the suction or seal created press against the driver and cause it to flex - sorry for my rudimentary explanation) Now my new SHE3583's? Now there is driver flex for ya. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

I don't experience driver flex in my AF56 (the crackling sound you can hear when pushing in a dynamic IEM into your ear and having the suction or seal created press against the driver and cause it to flex - sorry for my rudimentary explanation) Now my new SHE3583's? Now there is driver flex for ya. 

There was consistent flex on one side of the AF56 I bought.  Research suggested it's not a serious problem and the price was good so I let it slide.

I am curious about Audiofly's new announces offerings.  I hope they don't price themselves out of the market.  There are a lot of decent boutique IEMs popping up on the high end; not to mention lower end customs.

May 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 21
Hi,

A friend of mine has managed to lose my old IEMs (my first pair, Beyerdynamic DTX 100s), which has, understandably, pissed me off. However, it means that I now get to do some shopping to replace them :)

I came across the Audiofly AF45 on the website I've previously bought from, and I'm really grateful for your review. They sound like a decent investment sq-wise, as well as being from a relatively friendly boutique company, which appeals to me. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had had the chance to compare them with the AF56s? Or to try out the AF45M with the mic, and see if there's any difference? Or, for that matter, if anyone has any comparable recommendations..?

Thanks!

May 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
Hi,

A friend of mine has managed to lose my old IEMs (my first pair, Beyerdynamic DTX 100s), which has, understandably, pissed me off. However, it means that I now get to do some shopping to replace them :)

I came across the Audiofly AF45 on the website I've previously bought from, and I'm really grateful for your review. They sound like a decent investment sq-wise, as well as being from a relatively friendly boutique company, which appeals to me. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had had the chance to compare them with the AF56s? Or to try out the AF45M with the mic, and see if there's any difference? Or, for that matter, if anyone has any comparable recommendations..?

Thanks!

I had both at the same time.  The AF56 is more balanced with better extension to the highs and lows.  Please note the body of the AF56 is a touch odd and may not be compatible with some ear shapes, the AF45 is more traditional.

May 15, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 21
Thanks! Much appreciated. I've never had a problem with any earbud/IEM headphones, I think my ears are quite friendly.

I think that the better balance and extended range is probably worth the extra cash for me, and I'm probably going to go for these rather than the Beyerdynamic DTX 101s, which were my other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back