[REVIEW]: Audio Technica AD2000: my experience
Mar 9, 2006 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Audio Technica AD2000: my experience.

First I have to thanks my friend Paolo for giving me the possibility to listen to these very interesting headphones.

BREAF INTRO
The ATH-AD2000 come from the "Air" series; they were engineered to be as open as possible, making the driver work as free as possible, minmizing the interferences of surrounding structured and reflections.

ad200011cc.jpg

The headphones is very light, and is quite comfortable. I say "quite" because they are not (imho) totally circumaural, they are a sort of "extended supraaural": in fact, they rest on the ear, but distribute the pressure also around the ear with the soft pads.

I find the look of the AD2000 very "fascinating", with the earcups almost transparent.

ad200024gl.jpg

THE SOUND
I have a Marantz Cd7300 as source and a Rudistor NX01 as amplification. The signal cable is a semibalanced with teflon dielectric one.

The sound of this headphone is quick, open, airy, complete, a little "light" but very musical. If I think about a color to associate to the sound of this headphone I think about "orange". This is due to the mid-frequency range, that I hear a little "euphonic" on the mid-highs, but in order to gave to the sound a "sweet" note.

So the mids are very "musical", but a little "characterized". You hear it suddenly comparing the AD2000 with the K701, that, on the contrary seems sometimes a littel "aseptic" in this range (but it's simply more correct). I avoid a comparison with the HE60, because it will be unfair.

The female voices, if well recorded, sound expressive and well highlighted. With "bad" recordings you can hear little "acidifications", but never excessive.

The high-end is "silky", detailed and present, but always very natural and pleasing.

The more I listen, the more I like the bass of the AD2000. It's very deep to the "end", it's present, but it moves light and quickly. Maybe someone want a more present mid-bass, but imho it's good as it is. You can hear it with the sound of cellos and similar, which have good "body". Also the sound of the toms and drums in general it's well rendered (always given the general "lightness", that brings "vivacity" and joy in the music). Given this, it's quite surprising to hear how the bass has also a pleasing "soft" character (compared for example to the K701, which have a more "sharp" bass).

With the Ad2000 the organ pedals are well rendered also in the deepest note and they not loose any partcular.

The dynamic is very very good, thank also to the very high sensitivity. This brings vivacity to the sound and the sound of the ATH is very "envolving".

But I think you can have this "expressiveness" retaining a little more correctness (see the DT880). But the AD2000 coloration is "musical", and their quickness and dynamic are superior to the DT880... the sound it's good as it is.

With the Carmina Burana (DG Originals, Jochum, 1968), the sound is very musical and expressive. This AD200 want to make you fall in love with their sound.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
The tenor voice is moving, beacause the expression nuances are well underlined. At the same time the violin chords are armonically in evidence ginving a very pleasing surrounding to its voice in the "Omnis Sol temperat". In the "Tanz" I think that trumptes are a little too "characterized" for the slightly prominent mid-high. But at the same time the violin is very good, same thing for the flute. Beautiful the sound of the cymbals, so well armonically evidenced. One of the best thing is the softness and "space expanded" deepness of the big drum.

Another positive note: the sound is pleasing, relaxing. It drives you quickly in the music.

Mike Oldfield "Hergest Ridge" (in the original version): that ATH treats the guitar cords in a beautiful way, with velocity on the transient and "armonic fullness"

I think that soundstage are very good. Tend to be a bit more in front than with other headphones, and this give to the sound another pleasing note.

CONCLUSION
In all my listening, the character of these headphones was evident. It's "characterized", but very musical. It's complete, airy, quick. It moves lightly in the music, but the sound maintains body. There's alway a soft and full note on the background the made the instruments very pleasing to listen to.

I prefer a "more correct" sound (as K701 and HE60), but if you fall in love with this headphones, it's a headphone you can last with "forever"...
smily_headphones1.gif

ad200034md.jpg

bye
Andrew

Ps. sorry for my "italian" english..
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 12
Thanks for that. It was an interesting read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I say "quite" because they are not (imho) totally circumaural, they are a sort of "extended supraaural": in fact, they rest on the ear, but distribute the pressure also around the ear with the soft pads

The W5000 uses the same design, and I really wish they'd gone for a properly circumaural design. There really was no need to have that sorta-circumaural-sorta-supraaural approach. It doesn't add anything to the sound.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
The W5000 uses the same design, and I really wish they'd gone for a properly circumaural design. There really was no need to have that sorta-circumaural-sorta-supraaural approach. It doesn't add anything to the sound.

I don't know. The distance between the ear and the driver has generally a strong impact in sound balance. For sure they could be more comfortable (in long term).

Andrew

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 12
Nice review. Very nice in fact. It pretty much captures everything that I've been wanting to say about these most excellent headphones. There is really a special character to them that really draws me into the music. "Orange" is as good of a color to describe them as any, but I also agree with the substance of what you've said.

I'd also agree that if they have a flaw, it would be that they are not as "accurate" as the likes of the DT880 or K701, but this is Ok by me. If they were my primary (or only) headphone, this might be troublesome, but they're not, and every time I listen to them I have a good session. As you've so correctly said, you know that you are listening to them because of their own character that they impart on the music, but it's a good character and one worth coming back to again and again.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Nice review. Very nice in fact. It pretty much captures everything that I've been wanting to say about these most excellent headphones. There is really a special character to them that really draws me into the music. "Orange" is as good of a color to describe them as any, but I also agree with the substance of what you've said.

I'd also agree that if they have a flaw, it would be that they are not as "accurate" as the likes of the DT880 or K701, but this is Ok by me. If they were my primary (or only) headphone, this might be troublesome, but they're not, and every time I listen to them I have a good session. As you've so correctly said, you know that you are listening to them because of their own character that they impart on the music, but it's a good character and one worth coming back to again and again.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally agree. My "orange color" thoughts was not really in order to describe the headphones. It's because when I'm listening to the AD2000 they make me to think to "orange". I don't know why, maybe, as I've written, it's because of the "musically characterized" mids, compared to a flat response "white" color.
eek.gif
confused.gif
(well, I don't know if this is understendable...
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
).

bye
Andrew

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally agree. My "orange color" thoughts was not really in order to describe the headphones. It's because when I'm listening to the AD2000 they make me to think to "orange". I don't know why, maybe, as I've written, it's because of the "musically characterized" mids, compared to a flat response "white" color.
eek.gif
confused.gif
(well, I don't know if this is understendable...
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
).

bye
Andrew

No, I understood perfectly well and agree. Orange is a perfect way to describe their sound. Somewhat "bright" (not like the sun, but definitely on the light side of day). Yet, really they are more soothing and peaceful than anything, and the color orange has the effect on me. You're aware of them and know that it's the AD2000's that you are listening to, so it's not like they do the disappearing act that some (more neutral) headphones do. But what they "add" to the musical presentation with their slightly "colored" sound is at all not bad. There is an openness and airy nature to them on the one hand, but they are not really bass shy either. Just light, quick, and very musical.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
There is an openness and airy nature to them on the one hand, but they are not really bass shy either. Just light, quick, and very musical.

Perfectly said, that are the AD2000.
cool.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks, Andrew. I enjoyed reading your review, and I have to admit ATH-AD2000 is still the one beautiful headphone that I yet to have the pleasure to listen to.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks... now I will dedicate time to NX01+K701 vs Sennheiser HE60 comparison... I will tell you.
wink.gif

I'm really enojoying them
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

he6019gz.jpg

img07101gj.jpg

bye
Andrew

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 12
Nice review. I own these headphones and like them quite a lot; they are definitely more open, more full, and more detailed than my previous W1000s.

These are actually my only set of full-size headphones, and I'm not really unsatisfied at all. On certain Japanese tracks with over-accented treble, they edge on harsh, but are never as bright much as my Shure E4s (this is not a comparison but rather just a statement).

On Japanese vocals, the sound is really incredible. Highly recommended.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsuttitinagul
On Japanese vocals, the sound is really incredible. Highly recommended.

You are not the first who say me that ATH headphones are incredible with japanese voices and instruments. I think that they were "tuned" on this music (or, as my friend Nik says, it's that these headphones reflect the culture of the people who made it).
This is fascinating.

Andrew

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Wonderful review, very concise.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've had mine for over a year now and still enjoy them every chance I get. I can get absolutely lost in the music to a point where everything happening around me disappears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back