REVIEW: Audio-GD Phoenix Balanced Solid-State Headphone Amplifier
Mar 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #151 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would disagree with that, if the source does not present a quality signal, no amp can amplify it better than it is and no transducer can make sound ok.
mad.gif

While I agree with what you said purely on the face of it, the difference between a $100 CD player and a $1,000 CD player is far smaller than between a $100 pair of headphones and a $1,000 pair, IMHO - and the difference is even MORE pronounced in $100 loudspeakers vs. $1,000.

And as such, I would buy a $100 CD player and a $1K pair of headphones versus the other way around any day of the week, although it may well be that a $500 CD player and a $500 pair of headphones would be the best sounding of the 3 alternatives.

But this is very off-topic - if you're buying an Audio-GD Phoenix, you should have a very good DAC to use with it, and good headphones too, or the money invested in the Phoenix isn't bringing it's maximum return.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #152 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree with what you said purely on the face of it, the difference between a $100 CD player and a $1,000 CD player is far smaller than between a $100 pair of headphones and a $1,000 pair, IMHO - and the difference is even MORE pronounced in $100 loudspeakers vs. $1,000.

And as such, I would buy a $100 CD player and a $1K pair of headphones versus the other way around any day of the week, although it may well be that a $500 CD player and a $500 pair of headphones would be the best sounding of the 3 alternatives.

But this is very off-topic - if you're buying an Audio-GD Phoenix, you should have a very good DAC to use with it, and good headphones too, or the money invested in the Phoenix isn't bringing it's maximum return.

Now why couldn't I say that..

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #153 of 156
Skylab: -If you're buying an Audio-GD Phoenix, you should have a very good DAC to use with it, and good headphones too, or the money invested in the Phoenix isn't bringing it's maximum return.

Totally agreed.

The Phoenix amplifies a great signal to perfection, I have experienced this with a $4000 sacd player feeding the Phoenix, driving a great headphone, the JVC DX 1000., when I improved the signal to the Phoenix, with a less jittery transport, and as you suggest a great dac, The Audio-GD ref1 ( although much less than $4000) , the Phoenix rose to the occasion and drove the DX 1000 to greater clarity and overall enjoyment. All imho of course.

So all credit to you Sky, your point taken. And sorry for the off topic.
And Les, I think you would go along with Skylab's suggestion of a good dac no?

The Phoenix is a great amp with reserves aplenty, I am now ready for another great headphone, the T1, although less expensive than the DX 1000 but reviewed and believed as the One to have.
wink.gif

Ubershade.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #154 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab: -If you're buying an Audio-GD Phoenix, you should have a very good DAC to use with it, and good headphones too, or the money invested in the Phoenix isn't bringing it's maximum return.

Totally agreed.

The Phoenix amplifies a great signal to perfection, I have experienced this with a $4000 sacd player feeding the Phoenix, driving a great headphone, the JVC DX 1000., when I improved the signal to the Phoenix, with a less jittery transport, and as you suggest a great dac, The Audio-GD ref1 ( although much less than $4000) , the Phoenix rose to the occasion and drove the DX 1000 to greater clarity and overall enjoyment. All imho of course.

So all credit to you Sky, your point taken. And sorry for the off topic.
And Les, I think you would go along with Skylab's suggestion of a good dac no?

The Phoenix is a great amp with reserves aplenty, I am now ready for another great headphone, the T1, although less expensive than the DX 1000 but reviewed and believed as the One to have.
wink.gif

Ubershade.

Good DAC, absolutely. And it looks like you've got a good one!

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #156 of 156
I tried AKG701 with the Phoenix and the synergy was really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back