REVIEW: AT L3000 and DHA3000 digital amplifier.
Jul 26, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #47 of 52
Well, you would have to run a digital cable from your transport into the DHA3000 and from there run another digital cable into your DAC....I believe it works just like a loop out but I would imagine that it would induce some jitter.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #48 of 52
is the apogee really an integral part of the sound in your opinion Michael?

I don't have any complaints about the setup sourcing the optical output directly from my soundcards (RME HDSP9632 or Audigy 2ZS depending on what computer I'm using) but might look into this if I can find a decently priced option and if the benefits are really worth it.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #49 of 52
Alex,

I have tried the following:

The top end Audio Quest Toslink directly out of the Macintosh G5 and into the Burmester DAC (on the 001) using iTunes and Apple Lossless AND

The same Toslink cable directly out of the Burmester's belt drive trnsport into the DHA3000...

Thus bypassing the Apogee Big Ben in both cases and in both cases the Big Ben made a marked improvement to the sound quality. Because the Big Ben has a robust number fo digital ins and outs, I have been able to run mupltiple digital sources into multiple DACs using a minimum of wire and with an across the board gain in sound quality. Considering the fact that you can run a number of things into and out of it I think the Big Ben is a good deal.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #50 of 52
actually, the price of the Big Ben isn't as bad as I thought. though still pricey for what I'll use it for. I doubt I'll be using the DHA3000 that critically, and the rest of my setup doesn't use digital connections. I don't use the computer as a transport too much right now.

thanks for the input Michael.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #52 of 52
Darn, and I thought it was actually someone making a new thread on the L3k!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back