REVIEW: Apple iPod & Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO
Mar 31, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #46 of 82
So when is that review coming Lindrone
smily_headphones1.gif
At least tease us with some pictures.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #48 of 82
i stand corrected. the pictures are proof enough for me.

i apologize welly.

the only reason i was saying this was because you just posted a few weeks ago about "praying to jesus to help make you a better saver of your money" so that you could afford the ue's by december.

i was just kinda surprised you got in 3 weeks what you said you weren't going to get for another 9 months.

besides, it is april fools time.

not only are my e5's beat by lindrone's sensaphonics, but lindrone won't have a single day to relish his sensas as the best earphones around headfi, considering you've already got what's above them!

crazy.

congrats.

i'm happy with the perfection i have found in my e5c's. i suppose it's nice to know there is something above them, it's just a shame the day may come when my wallet will find out...

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #49 of 82
I believe you.
biggrin.gif

But you can't really blame me for being suspicious, can you? I mean, there is something unusual about reviewing ultra-high-end earphones with an IPOD, and saying so prominantly in the title of the thread. And, if I were to write a review of the perfect headphones, with Cartesian conviction, it would probably read very similar to your review of the UE-10.

That being said -- Enjoy what must be an ear-thrilling listening experience.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by toaster22
not only are my e5's beat by lindrone's sensaphonics, but lindrone won't have a single day to relish his sensas as the best earphones around headfi, considering you've already got what's above them!

I wouldn't really say that.. before I made my purchase decision I consulted a lot of people... there's been a few that had both the ProPhonic 2X-S and UE-10, and ultimately preferred the 2X-S.

Reason being... not much to do with sound quality, most didn't feel UE-10 was discernibly better... but comfort wise, there was no question ProPhonic 2X-S had better materials.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #51 of 82
so the prophonics are BETTER than the e5's and the ue10's according to you?

well, if you can say that, then i say my e5's are just as good as the sensas.
biggrin.gif

i haven't heard the sensas, you haven't heard the ue's.

welly, do you know how much of that 900 dollars went towards the packaging and personal engravings? it couldn't all have gone in to sound.

i was listening to my e5's again tonight and it's really really hard to imagine better sound in a canalphone...

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #52 of 82
Does anyone have the link to the ProPhonics 2X-S? I have never heard of them and would like to see what they're all about.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #54 of 82
Thanks hms624. What's the price on these?

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #55 of 82
750 smackers. (i think that includes the molds, not sure though)

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by toaster22
750 smackers. (i think that includes the molds, not sure though)

So roughly they run 3/4's the cost of the UE-10s? Wow, these things are expensive. If they don't offer a pretty substantial increase in sound quality over the E5s or the ER-4s/p, are they worth it? I am looking at the ability to not have the filters needings to be changed, no tips to be changed, and no extra expenses. They also insert more easily since they aren't foam or even tri-tipped siliccon. They are custom-fit to your ears. This rules out selling them, unless the molds come off and you can replace them with your own set you have made for you.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #57 of 82
$750 + $50 fee for ear impression (you should be expecting no more than $50).

I'm not saying 2X-S will definitely sound better than UE-10 Pro, I did talk to musicians who used them both and couldn't tell the difference in a qualitative way in terms of sound. Doesn't mean there isn't, they're using their studio equipment anyway.. who knows?

However, I do know in fact that a lot of musicians my audiologist known switched away from Ultimate Ears due to comfort issues. So Sensaphonic is definitely the best in that sense.

Not that UE isn't comfortable, they're probably still more comfortable in comparison to E5c and ER-4. However, it was just like people who said they had no problem with the comfort level of ER-4, and later discovered E5c is just that much more comfortable. The same thing with going from UE to Sensaphonics for all the clients of my audiologist that switched.

Some of them got Sensaphonic first, then went to UE-10 Pro, then came immediately back to 2X-S because they couldn't stand the UE-10's harder casing.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #58 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
So roughly they run 3/4's the cost of the UE-10s? Wow, these things are expensive. If they don't offer a pretty substantial increase in sound quality over the E5s or the ER-4s/p, are they worth it? I am looking at the ability to not have the filters needings to be changed, no tips to be changed, and no extra expenses. They also insert more easily since they aren't foam or even tri-tipped siliccon. They are custom-fit to your ears. This rules out selling them, unless the molds come off and you can replace them with your own set you have made for you.

No custom canalphones are re-moldable nor resellable.. once you get them.. that is it. No recovery in cost whatsoever.

Yes, they do sound better than E5c and ER-4. Whether or not it's significant depends on your frame of reference...

Well, for example, if you can tell the difference between HR-2 with AD797 and XP-7 with AD797 and think that's enough of a difference to pay the extra cost for the HR-2 (btw, I am one of these people), then you'll probably just kill yourself over the difference in sound quality between 2X-S and E5c.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #59 of 82
wow, that's intense.

suicide by audio.

i believe there's a difference with the sensas, but i'd be very skeptcial if it's anything worth killing yourself over

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #60 of 82
Wow. I just realized, you bought these completely unheard, right Welly? No reviews, no audition, nada. Furthermore, they have no resale value because they are completely customized with no rubbers like Sure or Ety. It's a good thing audiophiles give in to the placebo effect pretty easily. The price alone will hopefully convince your ears that you didn't just waste a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back