Review: Apogee Mini-DAC vs AQVOX USB 2 D/A MkII vs Stello DA100/HP100 vs Corda Opera
Oct 20, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #61 of 91
I wonder if anyone can explain this
With RS1 Apogee Mini-DAC (1/4 headphone jack, XLR) sounds pretty much like Citypulse DA7.2x + Heed CanAmp
which is weird.

but in my chinese speaker setup, I can hear higher level of clarity/detail, almost reaching RS1 level (in comparison to Citypulse)
How that's possible?
Could it be there is better impedancy matching of preamp with DAC ?
I must also say, I had problem (unsolved) of connecting AKG K1000 to terminal outputs of amp (Jungson JA-1/JA-99C )
It played ok on low volumes, but before reaching "proper" listening level, distortion in more demanding pasages was introduced, so by the time I reach listening level, sound was just brutally damaged.
Would some impedancy adapter help ?
thx

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I.D. (Iron_Dreamer),

Did you get a chance to try the Apogee Mini DAC or Lavry D10 with the Opera AMP?

How was the synergy, etc...

Nope, I did not have either at the time I had the Opera on loan. Both are relatively neutral and similar in sound signature (as they should be for their great internal similarities), so I don't think either one would produce drastically different results with the Opera. Either one will sound a bit less warm than the Opera's internal DAC.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #66 of 91
IMHO the DAC section of the Apogee is significantly better than the headphone section. I would advise using the headphone section as a last option most if not all DAC amp combos do not have strong amp sections compared to a good stand alone amp for the Pro DACs live Apogee, Lavry or Grace. Now this changes with amp makes that implement dacs typically the DAC sections are not as strong as the amp sections it's a matter of the company doing what they do best and have designed for years.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #67 of 91
^^^ JP...I happen to think the Apogee's AMP is pretty decent but that's a different story.
The unique thing about the Apogee is that it’s a DAC well capable of driving HPs directly from its 1/8 and XLR line out (low impedence, high voltage) bypassing amping. I'm sure you have read or perhaps tried bypassing amping w/ the Apogee. What I noticed immediately (not subtle) is the level of clarity it offers by direct connect. I don't believe that any AMP regardless of price connected to the Apogee can offer the same signal accuracy because in actuality an AMP (along with interconnect, etc...) is lengthening the signal chain.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #68 of 91
Id, computer ... how do you guys amp MiniDAC ?
from 1/8" or 1/4" ?

I got that feeling that CanAmp adds some more energy to the music
(while collecting some noise from computer and monitor in mini->cinch interconnect)

--G

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #69 of 91
You can amp the mini-dac by setting the internal jumper for the 1/8" out to fixed instead of variable, then attaching a 1/8" to female rca adapter to connect with rca cables.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #70 of 91
omg, thats actually pretty cool idea as I have expensive rca interconnects unused
and I even havesomewhere that kind of adapter, but no idea where
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #71 of 91
The best choice for amping the minidac is xlr-> rca cables, wire pins 1 to negative and 2 to positive, leave pin 3 unconnected. Or get a balanced amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best choice for amping the minidac is xlr-> rca cables, wire pins 1 to negative and 2 to positive, leave pin 3 unconnected. Or get a balanced amp
smily_headphones1.gif

would it be a poor choice to get either cardas or other xlr>rca adaptors? THe cable solution is probably better just a thought for the impatient who also lack soldering skills.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #73 of 91
There are lots of sources for those cables, but certainly xlr->rca adapters are fine, as long as they don't connect pin 3 to ground.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

^^^ JP...I happen to think the Apogee's AMP is pretty decent but that's a different story.
The unique thing about the Apogee is that it’s a DAC well capable of driving HPs directly from its 1/8 and XLR line out (low impedence, high voltage) bypassing amping. I'm sure you have read or perhaps tried bypassing amping w/ the Apogee. What I noticed immediately (not subtle) is the level of clarity it offers by direct connect. I don't believe that any AMP regardless of price connected to the Apogee can offer the same signal accuracy because in actuality an AMP (along with interconnect, etc...) is lengthening the signal chain.

the amp is ok and seems to drive grados ok but to my ears the can amp/eddie current ecss were better in the 333-400 category, but we all hear different. I will say that for grados for example the apogee sounded better than the yamamoto that was next to it at Headfest. The apogee better in the bass with ps2s where the yammy was loose and ill defined in the bass. But as as soon as I connected the apogee to a better amp I realized it has it's limits. To each his own and if you or anyone is happy with the apogee pre amp outs straight up hey you just saved a few hundred bucks. I guess we all hear different. The apogee to me is a steal at it's price and I enjoyed mine above the others in this price range like the benchmark or grace.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

I can say for certain that the apogee alone is bested by the apogee->my balanced amp. The apogee simply can't keep up with the demands being placed on it when you're driving headphones, when compared to a good amp. Otherwise, people would just hook up speakers to their sources, without an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back