Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Feb 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #886 of 951
Has anyone compared the anedio D1 to the new Audio lab M-dac?? Would love to know how they compare??

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #887 of 951
Has anyone tested the new U2 to see if it's noticeably better than coax?

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #888 of 951
If you have a high quality transport I believe the difference is probably very small to the point where subjectiveness might come into play. A coax out from a motherboard is likely not that high quality in terms of jitter compared to the coax out from a dedicated transport. That said my U2 did show improvements compared to the toslink out from my notebook.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #889 of 951
Mine is coming from my mac pro, so I imagine I'd see similar improvements. I'd also like to play the few 24/192 and 24/88 files without having to resample them up/down to 24/96. I think I'm gonna get it. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #894 of 951
I have the D1 and D2 sitting side by side, the sound is very similar, that being stellar in both cases.  I haven't had much time to really listen as I am chasing down some volume difference between the squeezebox touch and my pc.  The D2 seems to have just a touch more depth and air. Resolution is similar which is to say excellent.  I didn't realize how much smaller (shorter) the D2 is until I unboxed it.  So far, so good (great).

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #895 of 951
cant wait to see what everyone has to say about the D2! though i know its gonna take project86 quite a while before he writes up his own impressions.

...and if anyone was looking to dump an old ratty :p D1, i would be perfectly willing to buy it from you :D

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #896 of 951
I have the D1 and D2 sitting side by side, the sound is very similar, that being stellar in both cases.  I haven't had much time to really listen as I am chasing down some volume difference between the squeezebox touch and my pc.  The D2 seems to have just a touch more depth and air. Resolution is similar which is to say excellent.  I didn't realize how much smaller (shorter) the D2 is until I unboxed it.  So far, so good (great).

Sorry I forgot you already had the D1.

Are you comparing the HPA sections?

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #897 of 951

Quote:
Sorry I forgot you already had the D1.
Are you comparing the HPA sections?

The HPA will be the primary focus.  I think that at this level of quality it will be difficult to tell the difference between the subtle gains achieved in the DAC/jitter sectoins vs what can be more easily discerned about the amp section.  To make things more difficult I also have the U2 USB so I could stick that in front of the D1 to see if I can tell the difference but chances are I will probably just use it at work.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #898 of 951
The HPA will be the primary focus.  I think that at this level of quality it will be difficult to tell the difference between the subtle gains achieved in the DAC/jitter sectoins vs what can be more easily discerned about the amp section.  To make things more difficult I also have the U2 USB so I could stick that in front of the D1 to see if I can tell the difference but chances are I will probably just use it at work.

Definitely. Concentrating on the amp section differences is the wise choice. Any other sonic differences aren't going to be as prevalent I'm guessing.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #899 of 951
I posted this picture in the other thread but here it is again:

I figure I've got about 100 hours on it by now, so it's time to start listening. My D1 probably has thousands of hours on it at this point but I'll compare them and see if I spot major differences.

For the DAC aspect, I suspect it will be like when I compared my D1 to the Resonessence Labs Invicta unit - there were subtle improvements, which were more easily spotted on a speaker rig than a headphone setup. If the D2 is slightly better than the D1, that puts it roughly on par with the Invicta, which to my ears is one of the best DACs out there regardless of price. We'll see. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back