Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jan 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #857 of 951

Quote:
This isn't fun anymore as I am actually quite temped to pre-order the D2, and I think the all the added improvements are worth it given how happy I already am with the D1. I think the Svetlana 2 purchase might be delayed again.

wink.gif

I bet you could sell the D1 for a decent price, so the upgrade wouldn't cost you all that much. But we don't really know yet how much the design improvements translate to audible improvements. 

Quote:
Just ordered using my original login but didn't see anything about a discount.

I was told the U2 will be priced at $250 for D1 owners (original purchasers only). But I don't know how they intend to figure the discount. Maybe email them about it?

Quote:
An Emotiva XDA-1.  It's quite good for $299, and great for TV and Movies.  I don't even have any real complaints about performance on background music  But I want something better for serious listening.  Whatever I end up with will, along with the USB converter and a Mac Mini, end up as the source components in a dedicated room.  But that will take a couple of years to put together.  In the meantime music in the living room will get an upgrade.

By the way, the U2 looks good.  I'll probably order one in the next week or so.  I know the Stello, and especially the Audiophellio have gotten great press, but I like to be different.  Bang-for-the-buck is a factor too. 

On the D-18, I'm just waiting for a solid, concise description of it's sound characteristics.  It's high on my possibles list based on what's out there so far, and the fact that it's right at my budget for a DAC, while nearly everything else I'm looking at (W4S DAC-1, Rega, Metrum Octave, Tranquility) would have to be used.  The only others that fit my budget new are the Rein and the upcoming Schitt balanced DAC.  The difficulty is in hearing any of them.  The nearest decent audio shop is over 100 miles away.

Maybe I should move...

Some of those options offer 30-day in home trials with money back if you don't end up keeping the unit. I know Anedio does, as does Yulong when ordered through Grant Fidelity. I'm not sure about the others but maybe you could find a dealer who accepts returns on the Rega without restocking fees. 

This may not apply depending on where you live though...

Quote:
Interesting. Is there a discount for current owners of the D1? I'd like to try a loaner unit.

There is a discount on the USB-SPDIF converter which would bring your D1 in line with the D2 in terms of USB performance. No discount for the D2 itself though. You could always do the in-home trial for just the cost of shipping if you decided not to buy it. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #858 of 951
@project86
I guess that was just the initial excitement. After cooling down I figured I would just patiently wait for your comprehensive review.

@Permagrin
You should read more carefully. It has been mentioned on their site to contact them first for a discount coupon. Elisabeth was so kind to send me a coupon of $150.00. With the discount it makes the total price for the U2 $ 240.00 for original D1 owners.

Elisabeth also responded to my question whether the U2 or D2 were limited quantity like the D1 was. Here is her answer. I can just peacefully wait for project86 his review without worrying the D2 might be sold out.

biggrin.gif

Quote:
As for the D1 being limited in quantity, it was a decision we reluctantly made because the market moved on to high-resolution USB. We do not foresee any need for anything beyond 24-bit/192KHz in the near future. We have no plans to update the U2 and D2, and we intend to keep on producing them as long as there are customers for them.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #859 of 951
Does anyone know if both the balanced and single ended outputs are active at the same time? Is the analog circuit topology the same as the D1  with respect to using opamps? 

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #861 of 951
@Permagrin
You should read more carefully. It has been mentioned on their site to contact them first for a discount coupon. Elisabeth was so kind to send me a coupon of $150.00. With the discount it makes the total price for the U2 $ 240.00 for original D1 owners.

Elisabeth also responded to my question whether the U2 or D2 were limited quantity like the D1 was. Here is her answer. I can just peacefully wait for project86 his review without worrying the D2 might be sold out.

:D

I am an original D1 owner. I don't recall seeing that when I purchased it through the store, maybe it wasn't completely updated at that time.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #864 of 951
Preordered as well.  There goes my tax check!

I'm willing to bet that all of those subtle improvements, along with the strict build quality Anedio's known for, will add up to a fantastic source component that surpasses not only the D1, but anything else in the price range.  High-res USB, even better jitter reduction, balanced outputs...yeah.  LCD-3s, Dark Star, and now this.  Sounds good!  

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #867 of 951
Would there be any reason to order the U2 USB and switch to USB if I'm using the D1 with co-ax currently?

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #868 of 951
@Permagrin
That could very well be. Just contact Anedio and I am sure they will happily refund you the difference since you are an original D1 owner :wink:

Yes, I emailed Anedio after I posted and received a reply later in the day from Elisabeth saying they had refunded my card $150. Great people! :D

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #869 of 951

Quote:
Would there be any reason to order the U2 USB and switch to USB if I'm using the D1 with co-ax currently?

Probably not. Assuming you are feeding it with a halfway decent SPDIF signal (ie no generic DVD players from the drugstore electronics counter) it should be ultra-low jitter by the time the D1 is through processing it. I'd only switch if computer playback over USB is something you desire, specifically for hi-res tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back