Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jan 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #841 of 951

Quote:
I'm still hoping for a higher end unit.

Do you mean improvements from the D1 to D2 upgrade? Or are you saying you'd like to see them built a totally different "step-up" model? 

Quote:
Lol, not sure Anedio would appreciate that.

IMO the D1 looks a lot better with the Art Deco lights, but I guess I'm biased. Now if only I could afford a matching A1... :D

Excited to see some details on the upgrades!

I'm not sure they care what happens to the U2 once a D1 owner buys it. I guess it would take a cut of potential full-priced sales, but at the same time it would get more people using and talking about the unit, which is a valuable thing too. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #842 of 951

Quote:
Yes, and yes:

I will be picking up a D2, and the U2 will have a discount for D1 owners. Pricing is already low on the U2 compared to it's main competition (Stello U3, Audiophilleo 2)... I'd say it would be worthwhile for all D1 owners to buy the discounted U2, even if only just to resell it for a small profit. 

Can you give an a price estimate on the U2?  I was going to pick up a used Stello or Audiophellio 2, but if this will be comparable, I'd go that route instead. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #843 of 951

Quote:
I've only got a few days logged with the D18, so grain of salt, etc.  I don't think it is going to be a contender against the Anedio. I actually quite enjoy it, but it isn't on the same level. What it does do, it does extremely well - very much on the "musical" side but still with good detail retrieval.

I know that Yulong (the designer) does his designs "on paper" and then does final tuning through extensive listening, with many revisions and tweaks taking place. I can totally see how he arrived at this conclusion. This is a very intoxicating sound that I think would be popular in A/B comparisons. I also think it might be just the thing for people who aren't 100% on board with the "typical ESS sound". For example, user bobeau respected the Anedio for what it was, but ended up selling it because it wasn't exactly what he was looking for. I believe the D18 might be just the ticket for someone like him. 

I'm anxious to read your review of the D-18 as well.  I might be one of those "like him" folks.  My current DAC has gobs of detail, but also upper midrange / lower treble glare at louder volumes and a bit of sibilance in my system.  I want something less fatiguing without giving up detail or dynamics.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #845 of 951

Quote:
Can you give an a price estimate on the U2?  I was going to pick up a used Stello or Audiophellio 2, but if this will be comparable, I'd go that route instead. 

I really should wait until the website gets updated. Let's just say at least 20% less than either of those... give or take. I think the website should be updated within the next few days or so, if not today. 

Quote:
I'm anxious to read your review of the D-18 as well.  I might be one of those "like him" folks.  My current DAC has gobs of detail, but also upper midrange / lower treble glare at louder volumes and a bit of sibilance in my system.  I want something less fatiguing without giving up detail or dynamics.

What DAC are you using now?

I'm working on my review of the D18, slowly but surely. Had lots of listening time but very little writing time (I can't do both at the same time... not while doing a good job of either). 

Quote:
I thought someone announced earlier that it would be balanced?

Balanced XLR outputs on the rear, but not balanced headphone out. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #846 of 951

Quote:
Quote:
I'm still hoping for a higher end unit.

Do you mean improvements from the D1 to D2 upgrade? Or are you saying you'd like to see them built a totally different "step-up" model? 

A step up over the D2, perhaps a model to rival the Invicta with a simpler feature set. I have the time (probably).

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #849 of 951
I just pre-ordered the D2
wink_face.gif
  The deposit required is $250.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #850 of 951
Anyone wanting to part with their D1 to buy the D2 please PM and lets work out a deal!

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #853 of 951
Here is the list of changes in D2:

New Features

1. 24-bit/192KHz USB interface
  2. Balanced outputs

Other Changes

1. Enclosure redesigned
  2. Master clock with lower phase noise (jitter)
  3. Channel separation increased from 130 to 140 dB
  4. Toroidal transformers with higher VA
  5. SiC Schottky diodes in bridge rectifiers
  6. Supply capacitors with lower ESR
  7. Headphone amp output impedance decreased from 0.25 to 0.03 ohms
  8. Headphone amp gain adjustable through internal jumpers (2 settings)
  9. Power supply for the headphone amp improved
  10. Power supplies for the DAC IC improved
  11. Power supplies for the I/V stage and line output improved
  12. Turn on/off transients reduced
  13. SPDIF inputs with better impedance matching

To my surprise, it is quite a long list of improvements
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #854 of 951

Quote:
What DAC are you using now?

I'm working on my review of the D18, slowly but surely. Had lots of listening time but very little writing time (I can't do both at the same time... not while doing a good job of either). 

An Emotiva XDA-1.  It's quite good for $299, and great for TV and Movies.  I don't even have any real complaints about performance on background music  But I want something better for serious listening.  Whatever I end up with will, along with the USB converter and a Mac Mini, end up as the source components in a dedicated room.  But that will take a couple of years to put together.  In the meantime music in the living room will get an upgrade.

By the way, the U2 looks good.  I'll probably order one in the next week or so.  I know the Stello, and especially the Audiophellio have gotten great press, but I like to be different.  Bang-for-the-buck is a factor too. 

On the D-18, I'm just waiting for a solid, concise description of it's sound characteristics.  It's high on my possibles list based on what's out there so far, and the fact that it's right at my budget for a DAC, while nearly everything else I'm looking at (W4S DAC-1, Rega, Metrum Octave, Tranquility) would have to be used.  The only others that fit my budget new are the Rein and the upcoming Schitt balanced DAC.  The difficulty is in hearing any of them.  The nearest decent audio shop is over 100 miles away.

Maybe I should move...

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #855 of 951
This isn't fun anymore as I am actually quite temped to pre-order the D2, and I think the all the added improvements are worth it given how happy I already am with the D1. I think the Svetlana 2 purchase might be delayed again.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back