Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #827 of 951
My reply comes a bit late but I have a question that just now came to my mind.

The D18 doesn't have an upsampler and probably doesn't have any PLL's (or ASRC) before the Sabre DAC (btw can you confirm this?)
Therefore it makes sense that the D18 will only show its true potential and can only be honestly compared to the D1 when you use the computer to upsample to 192Khz and then a high quality low jitter USB to AES/EBU or spdif converter to feed the D18.

Can you confirm your quick impression as I qouted below is not done as I described above, but instead uses 44.1 Khz data, and possibly a less than stellar jitter spec'ed spdif feed?

Thank you!

Quote:
I've only got a few days logged with the D18, so grain of salt, etc.  I don't think it is going to be a contender against the Anedio. I actually quite enjoy it, but it isn't on the same level. What it does do, it does extremely well - very much on the "musical" side but still with good detail retrieval.

I know that Yulong (the designer) does his designs "on paper" and then does final tuning through extensive listening, with many revisions and tweaks taking place. I can totally see how he arrived at this conclusion. This is a very intoxicating sound that I think would be popular in A/B comparisons. I also think it might be just the thing for people who aren't 100% on board with the "typical ESS sound". For example, user bobeau respected the Anedio for what it was, but ended up selling it because it wasn't exactly what he was looking for. I believe the D18 might be just the ticket for someone like him. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #828 of 951

Quote:
My reply comes a bit late but I have a question that just now came to my mind.

The D18 doesn't have an upsampler and probably doesn't have any PLL's (or ASRC) before the Sabre DAC (btw can you confirm this?)
Therefore it makes sense that the D18 will only show its true potential and can only be honestly compared to the D1 when you use the computer to upsample to 192Khz and then a high quality low jitter USB to AES/EBU or spdif converter to feed the D18.

Can you confirm your quick impression as I qouted below is not done as I described above, but instead uses 44.1 Khz data, and possibly a less than stellar jitter spec'ed spdif feed?

Thank you!

I believe you are correct about the D18 - I don't see anything in the circuit that would modify the signal prior to the ES9018 chip. But that isn't any difference from the Anedio. Neither has any pre-processing, unless you consider the DIR handling incoming data to fit that description.

I have not been using the process you described. Instead, I have been feeding both with a high quality SPDIF source (sub 100ps jitter) and playing a lot of native 24/96 and higher material. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #829 of 951

Quote:

I believe you are correct about the D18 - I don't see anything in the circuit that would modify the signal prior to the ES9018 chip. But that isn't any difference from the Anedio. Neither has any pre-processing, unless you consider the DIR handling incoming data to fit that description.

I have not been using the process you described. Instead, I have been feeding both with a high quality SPDIF source (sub 100ps jitter) and playing a lot of native 24/96 and higher material. 

Aah ok thanks for clearing that up.
That should give a good performance of the D18 indeed.

And about the upsampler on the Anedio D1.. I have no idea how that got into my mind.
You're completely right of course, there is none.
Also finally figured out that the Sabre DAC does true upsampling when it does it's ASRC.. so any extra upsampling would only be because of slightly higher quality than the Sabre DAC's upsampling.

I figured a lot of the difference between the Anedio D1 and Yulong D18 would have come from upsampling.
But apparently not! :)

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #830 of 951
I don't know if I've seen any respectable Sabre based DACs that have separate ASRC chips. The whole point of the ESS "breakthrough" technology is their Hyperstream (TM) architecture which eliminates the need for an outboard chip. Although I believe some designers disable that feature on their DACs... Haven't heard any of those myself.

The differences between the D1 and the D18 are likely based on the usual stuff - clock quality, output stage, PCB layout, power supply, etc. Both of these products sound way better than their prices would suggest though.... I'm  extremely impressed with both. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #833 of 951
I can’t seem to load the page either, but I must say finally! : D I’ve been waiting for this DAC since I sold my Havana 5-6 months ago.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #835 of 951
D2 DAC and U2 USB (USB to S/PDIF converter) have been announced.

The detail pages have not been updated yet (just blank pages for now).

I'm glad that Anedio has got rid of the blue LEDs on the sides and the face plate is cleaner looking.  The unit is also shorter, and the spike feet are gone.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #836 of 951
Thanks for grabbing pics, I didn't think of that!

I'm told the case is similar in width, but shorter in height and depth compared to the D1. You can sort of tell that from the pic. It is also supposedly has an improved finish. I'm a huge fan of the blue lights on the D1 but I also like this clean, understated look. It will be good to see both units in person (which I do intend on doing).  

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #837 of 951
Thanks for notifying us!

I like the exterior of the D2 much more as it gives a slimmer overall look compared to the D1. Most important is that the depth is shorter, the spike feet and the blue LEDs are gone. What needs to be filled in is its performance improvement. I am now wondering whether project86 is getting a review unit.

Also the U2 was supposed to be sold with a discount to D1 owners?

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #838 of 951

Quote:
Thanks for notifying us!

I like the exterior of the D2 much more as it gives a slimmer overall look compared to the D1. Most important is that the depth is shorter, the spike feet and the blue LEDs are gone. What needs to be filled in is its performance improvement. I am now wondering whether project86 is getting a review unit.

Also the U2 was supposed to be sold with a discount to D1 owners?

Yes, and yes:

I will be picking up a D2, and the U2 will have a discount for D1 owners. Pricing is already low on the U2 compared to it's main competition (Stello U3, Audiophilleo 2)... I'd say it would be worthwhile for all D1 owners to buy the discounted U2, even if only just to resell it for a small profit. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #840 of 951

Quote:
Yes, and yes:

I will be picking up a D2, and the U2 will have a discount for D1 owners. Pricing is already low on the U2 compared to it's main competition (Stello U3, Audiophilleo 2)... I'd say it would be worthwhile for all D1 owners to buy the discounted U2, even if only just to resell it for a small profit. 

Lol, not sure Anedio would appreciate that.

IMO the D1 looks a lot better with the Art Deco lights, but I guess I'm biased. Now if only I could afford a matching A1... :D

Excited to see some details on the upgrades!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back