Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Aug 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #706 of 951

Quote:
How would you describe the improvement of the GS-X over the D-1's built-in HPA?

One thing I'm noticing in the D-1 (HPA) > HD600, is the Senn tends to choke a little on highly dynamic passages resulting in loss of imaging and smearing.

When I first tried my HD800s with the D1's amp, I thought it actually sounded pretty good, which initially made me think that I had finally found my ideal "one box" solution for my headphone listening.  But after a fair amount of careful listening, two things started to bother me -- the midrange seemed a little bit weak compared to the high and low frequencies which seemed a bit exaggerated perhaps, and the dynanic range seemed somwhat constricted with a fair amount of "congestion" when the music became louder or more complex.  Switching in the GS-X was almost a stunning revelation -- the overall balance between all frequencies evened out, detail retrieval which was already excellent in the D1' s amp improved even more, and the soundstage opened up to create a much more "holographic" presentation -- actually amazing in some recordings.   It sounds to me that what I've described is quite similar to what you've experienced with your HD600s.  The D1's amp is reputed to be quite good but perhaps that really applies more to phones with a lower impedence and/or less demanding power-wise?    I believe some folks here have experienced a similar preference for using an external amp with similar difficult to drive phones.   I have never had a dac match so well and sound so good with my GS-X as the D1 has.  As a side comment, I initially thought the lack of a balance output from the D1 would be a detriment but this has not proved to be the case whatsoever. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #707 of 951
Sounds like you're getting an impressive performance from your system. Have you by chance had the opportunity to compare the GS-X to the GS-1? I'd be happy to gain a good upgrade for the time being, without having to spring whole hog for a GS-X, Peak/Volcano, or P-1U.

As for the D-1's built-in, I still consider it a very good performer. Its inability to power through demanding passages with the Senns seemed to me inevitable considering the limitations of its add-on form factor. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #708 of 951

Quote:
Sounds like you're getting an impressive performance from your system. Have you by chance had the opportunity to compare the GS-X to the GS-1? I'd be happy to gain a good upgrade for the time being, without having to spring whole hog for a GS-X, Peak/Volcano, or P-1U.

As for the D-1's built-in, I still consider it a very good performer. Its inability to power through demanding passages with the Senns seemed to me inevitable considering the limitations of its add-on form factor. 

You would be happy with the GS-1 -- it is very nearly the equal of the GS-X.   I did own a GS-1 before getting the GS-X, and although I could not compare them side by side, they did sound very similar.   You are getting the improved power supply and balanced electronics with the GS-X, but the overall design and circuit topology is almost identical in both amps. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #710 of 951

Quote:
I agree that in this application it probably won't be audible. They wanted to enable hi-res capabilities, so there is no reason not to go async, but it isn't really required with the D1. One good thing though is that the USB-SPDIF adapter probably will have an impact when used with other DACs that are less immune to jitter. 

I should hopefully have some updates from James soon. There was a bit of a family emergency and he had to take care of that, but should be back on track shortly. 

Should the improved Anedio D1 with higher resolution USB sound better than the old version with optical? Since it seems the old version had good jitter reduction anyways, I'm not sure I see the point.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #711 of 951

Quote:

Should the improved Anedio D1 with higher resolution USB sound better than the old version with optical? Since it seems the old version had good jitter reduction anyways, I'm not sure I see the point.

I guess that depends on how much improvement is gained by the minor optimizations that the new unit will have. I suspect the difference will probably be small over the SPDIF connections, but we won't know until the thing is finished and some comparisons are done. Same goes for the headphone amp section - there was talk about revising it for higher power, but we won't know until the new version is done.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #712 of 951
Quote:

You might like it well enough for your Beyers.... I guess it depends on what sort of levels you listen at. 

Initial impressions:

I've only had a chance to audition at my mom's so far with her Mac>USB>Anedio D1 using grooveshark and some limited iTunes she has; but, the 600ohm Beyers don't get any louder going Anedio D1>Meier Concerto than they do coming straight from the Anedio. Neither get painfully loud (maxed 99 volume Anedio or 99 Anedio>Maxed 5 o'clock+high gain switch on Concerto), but basically the perfect volume to jam for short durations. Maybe things will change when I get back home and source from ESI Juli@ over coax SPDIF with proper files and ASIO/KS...

So I will just say that the Anedio D1 does get loud enough for 600ohm Beyers, for me at least. Whether it's sloppier coming straight from the Anedio HPA than over an outboard amp will require further and proper listening.

I love the D1>Q701's right now :D

What volume would you normally listen to K701/702/Q701's out the D1 HPA? I can sit at "10" volume and be perfectly content. Since I don't have an SPL-meter of sorts, what was the ~8x db volume number going to AKG's?

BTW, threshold for audibility in this temp config is "2", with "99" being more than tolerable; I love having a full-range of usable VC!

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #713 of 951

Quote:

Initial impressions:

I've only had a chance to audition at my mom's so far with her Mac>USB>Anedio D1 using grooveshark and some limited iTunes she has; but, the 600ohm Beyers don't get any louder going Anedio D1>Meier Concerto than they do coming straight from the Anedio. Neither get painfully loud (maxed 99 volume Anedio or 99 Anedio>Maxed 5 o'clock+high gain switch on Concerto), but basically the perfect volume to jam for short durations. Maybe things will change when I get back home and source from ESI Juli@ over coax SPDIF with proper files and ASIO/KS...

So I will just say that the Anedio D1 does get loud enough for 600ohm Beyers, for me at least. Whether it's sloppier coming straight from the Anedio HPA than over an outboard amp will require further and proper listening.

I love the D1>Q701's right now :D

What volume would you normally listen to K701/702/Q701's out the D1 HPA? I can sit at "10" volume and be perfectly content. Since I don't have an SPL-meter of sorts, what was the ~8x db volume number going to AKG's?

BTW, threshold for audibility in this temp config is "2", with "99" being more than tolerable; I love having a full-range of usable VC!

I agree that much of the time, my 600ohm DT990s sound great from the A1. It is just once in a while that I find it not to be a perfect match, with bass issues. But I don't want to overstate the problem or anything. 

For K701, I listen at volumes ranging anywhere from 10 to maybe 60, depending on mood/music/background noise in my house. It is able to easily push them far louder than I can tolerate during actual long term listening. I can take small doses of "99" but I wouldn't listen for long at that level. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #714 of 951

Quote:
For K701, I listen at volumes ranging anywhere from 10 to maybe 60, depending on mood/music/background noise in my house. It is able to easily push them far louder than I can tolerate during actual long term listening. I can take small doses of "99" but I wouldn't listen for long at that level. 

Excellent, thanks! I found I play around the same range, too. Just wanting to make sure I'm safe.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #715 of 951
Minor update - I spoke with James of Anedio the other day. Without getting too personal, he had a family event of the type that we will all face one day, and had to fly across the country to take care of that. So obviously designing and building has not been the foremost thing on his mind lately. But now he is back and getting on track again. He expressed his frustration at the time it is taking - not due to any specific delays or problems, just simply because it takes time to do things right. Meanwhile he is very aware of how many people are patiently waiting to order, and knows that as the weeks slip by people may begin looking elsewhere.

I inquired about the status of the A1 amplifier, since the D1 DAC seems to be getting all the attention. He advised me that the eventual plan (once the D1 refresh and USB to SPDIF projects are complete) is to replace that model with a monoblock offering. That is just in the concept stage at this point and all resources are going towards the other two projects first. 

That's it for now, all I can say to those folks waiting for the DAC is to hang in there. Knowing James, the results will certainly be worth the wait. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #716 of 951

Quote:

You would be happy with the GS-1 -- it is very nearly the equal of the GS-X.   I did own a GS-1 before getting the GS-X, and although I could not compare them side by side, they did sound very similar.   You are getting the improved power supply and balanced electronics with the GS-X, but the overall design and circuit topology is almost identical in both amps. 

GS-1 is in the house, with about 6 hr of listening time. I'll hold final judgement till I have a firmer grasp on its sound, but can put out these notes:

- the GS-1 improves the resolution of complex passages over that of the D-1's HPA, replacing the latter's smeared presentation with a higher level of clarity
- the GS-1 has a fuller sound---the mids are fuller, and  overall there is better cohesion throughout the frequency range. This seems to suggest a hint of a warmth that might or might not have been there before.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #717 of 951

Quote:

- the GS-1 improves the resolution of complex passages over that of the D-1's HPA, replacing the latter's smeared presentation with a higher level of clarity
- the GS-1 has a fuller sound---the mids are fuller, and  overall there is better cohesion throughout the frequency range. This seems to suggest a hint of a warmth that might or might not have been there before.

What you have described is almost exactly the same as my experience with the GS-X.   I think this will become even more apparent as you get more listening time with the GS-1.   These two Headamp amps seem to be an ideal match for the D1 dac.  What really pleases me is that I had previously used both a Benchmark DAC1-USB and Bryston BDA1 with the GS-X and was not happy at all with either and was almost ready to put my GS-X up for sale!    At least for me, it really drives home the importance of dac/amp synergy. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #718 of 951
My apologies if this has been answered already, but does anyone know if we are going to see a price jump for the updated D1? The $1270 for the original is already making my wallet a little uneasy. 

Quote:
Minor update - I spoke with James of Anedio the other day. Without getting too personal, he had a family event of the type that we will all face one day, and had to fly across the country to take care of that. So obviously designing and building has not been the foremost thing on his mind lately. But now he is back and getting on track again. He expressed his frustration at the time it is taking - not due to any specific delays or problems, just simply because it takes time to do things right. Meanwhile he is very aware of how many people are patiently waiting to order, and knows that as the weeks slip by people may begin looking elsewhere.

I inquired about the status of the A1 amplifier, since the D1 DAC seems to be getting all the attention. He advised me that the eventual plan (once the D1 refresh and USB to SPDIF projects are complete) is to replace that model with a monoblock offering. That is just in the concept stage at this point and all resources are going towards the other two projects first. 

That's it for now, all I can say to those folks waiting for the DAC is to hang in there. Knowing James, the results will certainly be worth the wait. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #720 of 951

Quote:
My apologies if this has been answered already, but does anyone know if we are going to see a price jump for the updated D1? The $1270 for the original is already making my wallet a little uneasy. 

From another thread:

Quote:
Anedio wrote me an email today:

"We do not yet have the pricing for the D1 update, but there will be a moderate increase in price
We are determined to keep the cost as low as possible for the benefit of our customers. 
In addition to the high resolution USB, the D1 update will have balanced outputs.
As for the D1 update, it will probably take longer than a few months. 
Beyond that, it's difficult for us to give an estimate at the moment,
except to mention that we are working very hard on it.
Yes, it will be available for EU too."

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back