Review and Comparison of the $200 Open-Back Underdogs: The AKG K612 Pro and the Sony MDR-MA900
Jul 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #76 of 89

It's an hybrid amp. I tried the headphones on the Magni and E11 when I did this review as well. The output resistance didn't really effect anything. Both the MA900 and K612 sounded better on the EF2A than the Magni anyways, so I chose to compare the headphones on the amp I owned I thought both sounded their best on.

That is true both the AKGs and the MA900s are not really effected dampening factor.

Oh I see, thanks for elaborating. If I wasn't going to buy an HE-400i I think I'd be buying a K612 right now. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #77 of 89
  Oh I see, thanks for elaborating. If I wasn't going to buy an HE-400i I think I'd be buying a K612 right now. 
biggrin.gif

The dampening factor effects Sennheisers to the greatest degree of the common audiophile brands, AKGs and various other headphones are not really effected much. On Orthos dampening factor doesn't matter at all since the frequency vs impedance on them is ruler flat. Amp quality and power is what matters the most.

I am curious about the HE-400i, I'm planning on it as my next major headphone purchase. I got the K712 and I find it better than the K612 albeit different, but the difference in refinement becomes more apparent the more I use them, although I need to listen to both on a better amp extensively to come to a more solid conclusion on how they compare. I am planning on getting the Project Ember in the not too distant future, I plan on updating my review after I get the amp, or I may just make a new review comparing the K612 and the K712.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #78 of 89
I wish the runners of AKG grew some brains and released a version of K612 with a removable cable. Then I could get that instead of K702 (that appears to be less linear in sound reproduction).

I demo'ed a K612 for a week that was modified by Head-Fi'er Zombie_X to have a removable cable. Zombie_X is also making a custom cable for my K712, I like his work.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #79 of 89
  Okay, I just received my K612's and I just wanted to give my first impressions versus the MA900.

I do agree with most of kman's points in the comparison. The K612 does sound like the more detailed and transparent headphone, most noticeably because lower treble is more forward. Overall it is a more dry sounding headphone with a sort of texture / sizzle that seems to come from a stronger emphasis on the top end.

That said, I do not really enjoying the K612 precisely for this reason. Keep in mind that I did not like the AKG K550 or K701 for similar reasons; for some reason there's something about the way AKG headphones are turned for mids that just doesn't work for me. It sounds slightly artificial to me, but that's just my preference.

The MA900 is definitely more subdued and sleepy, and when I swap between one and the other I still feel more 'comfortable' with the MA900.

Will do some more listening and report how it goes.

I share your view on the AKG.

How 's your take on the MA900 soundstage, and do you found them to be closer to speaker like than other phones you try ?

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #82 of 89
Thanks. Great Review. Are these now made in China rather than Austria? I've seen a few people mention that AKG headphones are now manufactured in China and it will be luck of the draw to get one that's been assembled in Austria (not that I am saying the one MIC is an inferior product) 

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #83 of 89
just jumped from 2 channel hi-fi world to headphone, got a good deal on Q701, K612 is on the way

kman1211, yes, rule no. 1, when one reviews a unit, the other associated components can NOT be the bottleneck.
I did a comprehensive study on freq. response curves of many famous cans such as Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, AKG, ...  I like AKG  x01's curves, it reminds of Dunlavy speakers and their textbook FR curves. Hope it sounds as good as the curves show. will see

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #84 of 89
I sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm a couple days ago. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was just a tad too boomy, and the mids were too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, more detail retrieval, and more controlled bass. I have been doing research, and checking out a ton of reviews. At this point, I have narrowed my choices down to the Audio Technica AD900X, and the AKG K612 Pro. I should mention that I did own a pair of Audio Technica AD700 (non X) headphones about 4 years ago. I ended up selling them as they had virtually no bass definition, tightness, or impact. They had a rather thin sound to me. From researching, the AD900X has been shown to have much better bass, and a tad less brightness in the upper treble region than the previous AD700 and AD900. I just can't seem to decide here between the AD900X and the K612 Pro. Unfortunately, neither is able to be listened to or bought locally here in my city.. Has anyone here heard the AD900X and K612 Pro side by side ? I will be powering whatever headphones I get with the Racoon SG-300 Tube DAC AMP combo. It has the PSVANE 12AT7-T tube in it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #85 of 89
Late to say, but I'm willing to bet you'll be happy whether you get the K612 or the AD900x, though the AD900x is likely brighter not many people complain about that. That being said, this thread led me to buying the K612 this christmas and I have to say, it's impressive. Powered from my Magni Uber it's really neutral sounding and has a good quantity of well extended, solid sounding bass. I'm used to bass-heavy sounding 'phones, but there's nothing wrong with what I'm hearing here. This soundstage is great, maybe not as big as the MA900 but imaging and the sense of 'cleanness' or black-space as some call it is very nice. Having had both the MA900 and HE-400i, this is like a really nice middle ground that is exactly what I wanted. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #86 of 89
  Late to say, but I'm willing to bet you'll be happy whether you get the K612 or the AD900x, though the AD900x is likely brighter not many people complain about that. That being said, this thread led me to buying the K612 this christmas and I have to say, it's impressive. Powered from my Magni Uber it's really neutral sounding and has a good quantity of well extended, solid sounding bass. I'm used to bass-heavy sounding 'phones, but there's nothing wrong with what I'm hearing here. This soundstage is great, maybe not as big as the MA900 but imaging and the sense of 'cleanness' or black-space as some call it is very nice. Having had both the MA900 and HE-400i, this is like a really nice middle ground that is exactly what I wanted. 

Yes, I ended up getting the K612 Pro a few months ago. I enjoy their sound much more than the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm I used to own. The K612 is far more neutral, and fairly balanced. I will say though that I don't find the K612 perfect to my ears either. I find there is a slight veil to the sound.  I just feel they are missing that additional detail retrieval I want. It is most noticeable in the 5K to 10K region. There is a crispness and sparkle which is just not present in that range.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #87 of 89

Yes, I ended up getting the K612 Pro a few months ago. I enjoy their sound much more than the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm I used to own. The K612 is far more neutral, and fairly balanced. I will say though that I don't find the K612 perfect to my ears either. I find there is a slight veil to the sound.  I just feel they are missing that additional detail retrieval I want. It is most noticeable in the 5K to 10K region. There is a crispness and sparkle which is just not present in that range.

I just got mine yesterday, no detectable veil they just seem a little bright. Mind you, you came from a DT770. The DTxx0 series all use the same driver, one which has a very notable peak in the upper treble. Not sure how large on the DT770, but on the DT880 and DT990 it's more than 5 - 8 decibels. *edit* http://en.goldenears.net/8535 as always, that peak is massive.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #88 of 89
im going for my first open-backs and am deciding on one of these two (mainly because they are both so cheap).

two questions though.  can someone who owns both describe which leaks less sound?  as open-backs, im sure both do, but which is better with containment?

also, can someone recommend a reputable dac/amp combo for under $100?  or maybe even a good sound card that would do the trick?

thanks in advance!

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #89 of 89
  I sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm a couple days ago. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was just a tad too boomy, and the mids were too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, more detail retrieval, and more controlled bass. I have been doing research, and checking out a ton of reviews. At this point, I have narrowed my choices down to the Audio Technica AD900X, and the AKG K612 Pro. I should mention that I did own a pair of Audio Technica AD700 (non X) headphones about 4 years ago. I ended up selling them as they had virtually no bass definition, tightness, or impact. They had a rather thin sound to me. From researching, the AD900X has been shown to have much better bass, and a tad less brightness in the upper treble region than the previous AD700 and AD900. I just can't seem to decide here between the AD900X and the K612 Pro. Unfortunately, neither is able to be listened to or bought locally here in my city.. Has anyone here heard the AD900X and K612 Pro side by side ? I will be powering whatever headphones I get with the Racoon SG-300 Tube DAC AMP combo. It has the PSVANE 12AT7-T tube in it.

I don't own the AD900X but I do own the DT770 and 612 Pro. I did a comparison review of it with my HD 600 here. I actually love the DT 770 just as much, but they are different enough to justify owning both. The 770 is aggressive, particularly in the low end, while the 612 is more balanced and refined. I find myself going to each one just as much, but the 770 more so due to being closed-back while being just as comfortable. That being said, what your going after seems to describe the 612 PRO more. However, if a more present mid-range and a more natural overall signature is to your liking, the HD 600 is worth every penny over the 612 PRO. It also packs a better punch in the low-end. The HE-400 is another sweet contender to mention, specially at the discounted rate of around $250 right now. I don't own a pair but had a chance to audition them. I am by no means a bass head, but the HE-400's bass is to die for. Incredibly quick, deep, and controlled. So much fun to listen to on EDM and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back