REVIEW AND COMPARISON OF 23 HOME HEADPHONE AMPS add Travagans Red
Dec 26, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt that is all very true. The top tier of amps in any given category are very, very good indeed, and very close to each other in overall performance even if they do have specific differences (which they all do).

I realize this is an older thread and you have since sold your ASL MG head. Is the DV337 THAT much better sounding? Have you heard the DV332 yet and would you consider it a better amp than the ASL?(Based on reviews/comparisons by fellow headfiers if you haven't heard the 332 yet.)

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #32 of 46
I think the 337 is noticably better than the ASL, yes, although the ASL is a terrific amp. I have not heard the 332.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #33 of 46
I would love to hear some comparison between Yamamoto HA-02 vs Darkvoice 337 vs Bada PH-12.
This is would be a high level tubes amp shoot-out.

May 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #34 of 46
Just added the Travagans Red to the rankings. Do not be fooled by the small size, this is a great amp.

May 13, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #35 of 46
Your impressions of the RED sound like mine of the Cute Beyond, but though you mention the Cute amps in a positive context you've made no direct comparisons. I've just been comparing the Cute Beyond (with stock op amp) to a Little Dot Mk V and--shock, horror--I preferred the Cute by a considerable margin. Of course this doesn't meant the Cute is the better amp per se, just that to these aging ears, and using Senn HD650s on classical/orchestral music, the Cute sounds more convincing, with better mid-range delineation and--oddly perhaps--better detail overall. I must say I'm a bit surprised by these findings and strongly suspect that it's more a case of synergy than overall superiority, but still, it says a hell of a lot for the Cute that it can compete at this level. Your remarks about the improvements in op amps seem well founded, and frankly, if I seek to upgrade from the Cute again (not likely at this stage) I'll be looking at op amp based designs.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your remarks about the improvements in op amps seem well founded, and frankly, if I seek to upgrade from the Cute again (not likely at this stage) I'll be looking at op amp based designs.

I know this is an old thread, but your last sentence stirred up some thoughts.

I don't understand the bias some people have towards opamp based designs. Opamps were not created as some hacked together half-breed to appease people only concerned with the bottom line. Many brilliant (headphone and speaker) amps use opamps. There is nothing inferior about them and they allow for far simplier designs compared to when opamps are not used.

If people think a non opamp based design is better than an opamp based design purely on the theory of audiophiles, they are wrong.

Ask Headroom. Their best amp seems to run quite well with opamps.

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is an old thread, but your last sentence stirred up some thoughts.

I don't understand the bias some people have towards opamp based designs. Opamps were not created as some hacked together half-breed to appease people only concerned with the bottom line. Many brilliant (headphone and speaker) amps use opamps. There is nothing inferior about them and they allow for far simplier designs compared to when opamps are not used.

If people think a non opamp based design is better than an opamp based design purely on the theory of audiophiles, they are wrong.

Ask Headroom. Their best amp seems to run quite well with opamps.

I was formerly biased against op-amps, but have heard good examples. Your point is well taken.

I still prefer amplifier output in class A with zero negative feedback.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #38 of 46
I was wondering where the Caliente would sit in this ranking since tbonner1 has reviewed it in another thread.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just added the Travagans Red to the rankings. Do not be fooled by the small size, this is a great amp.

If you had to add the Cute Beyond to that list where do you think it would fall? Just curious how my cute beyond would do against these. Btw thanks for the reviews they're great.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not include RSA The Raptor??

or the hr-2
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #44 of 46
Thanks guys.

Please keep your ideas coming for what home amplifiers you would like to see added to this comparison.

I have some time to spend on this after I finish the project I am working on and plan to update this review with more amps.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #45 of 46
thank you! Mod, please make this a sticky if it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back