Review: ALO Rx - Double the battery, double the fun
Nov 30, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #33 of 145
Hiss is barely affected by gain setting. I use very low gain from the amp as I am using either LOD or line in set at high gain. Even at gaini 0 and with nothing coming in, there is a small amount of hiss.

keep in mind that I am sensitive to hiss and sold most daps because of that as well as my beloved UM2. There are no real 'settings' that I am aware of, but I usually use the gain of about 10 pushes (maybe fewer).

The Rx handles hiss in response to gain settings pretty well, one of the reasons it remains usable all the way up to 100% volume.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #34 of 145
Shigzeo, I'm not sure you understand what gain is. Gain is not the volume setting. There is a gain switch under the front panel of the amp that can be set to either 1.5 or 6. When the gain is set to 1.5, the maximum volume of the amp (when the volume is set to max) is 1.5 times that of the input signal, and when it is set to 6, the maximum volume of the amp is 6 times that of the input signal.

Gain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You would want the gain to be set at 6 for full-sized headphones, but this would be likely to cause hiss with a sensitive IEM like the JH13. Check to make sure the amp's gain switch is set to 1.5.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #35 of 145
Yes, I have used the word 'gain' incorrectly: sorry. I have not yet taken apart the Rx because my allen key won't fit. I can check that later however. If the gain setting is causing the hiss, I will append my review however, thank you. However, I have doubts that it is the main cause, and again, the hiss is very low.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #37 of 145
I just got my Rx today. The gain was set to the higher setting by default. I've switched to the lower setting now.

Yes, there is a minute amount of hiss with my JH13's. In silence, I can't quite hear it... until I unplug the 13's. Then I can quite easily tell that the silence got quieter, yet.

I am also very sensitive to hiss, but I think this is just quiet enough that I'll be ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and this amp does sound fantastic with my Edition 8 / JH13, by the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #39 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Rx today. The gain was set to the higher setting by default. I've switched to the lower setting now.

Yes, there is a minute amount of hiss with my JH13's. In silence, I can't quite hear it... until I unplug the 13's. Then I can quite easily tell that the silence got quieter, yet.

I am also very sensitive to hiss, but I think this is just quiet enough that I'll be ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and this amp does sound fantastic with my Edition 8 / JH13, by the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

looking forward to hearing your thoughts between the Shadow and the Rx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations my friend
wink.gif

It's indeed a very good amp for the JH13s.

I like the Rx a lot but the Shadow is also very very good. It's really hard to choose a favorite between these 2 amps.

can you describe the differences between the two?

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #41 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thread, could you compare the Shadow and the ALO Rx, using the ESW10jpn, please?
Which do you prefer, why?

I truly cannot pick a favorite with the ESW10JPN, SQ-wise. Both amps sound equally awesome to my ears.

I did get the impression when I plugged my Edition 8's in upon first receiving the amp today that it drives them with a bit more authority that the Shadow did not have, but I will need more time to be more definitive. As it stands right now, I'm with pfillion: it's difficult to choose between these two really excellent portable amps.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 145
Let me correct myself. I really can hear the hiss with nothing playing (without doing the aforementioned "test") but it's such a soft, smooth hiss that it's pretty easy to overlook. I've heard more disturbing (think more buzzy) hiss from other amps. The noise from the Ultra Micro Amp that I owned for a week was quite a bit worse... to the point where I could actually hear it in quiet passages.

I don't think the "hiss" from the Rx is really going to be any type of audible while music is playing.

And of course this is a total non-issue with anything except sensitive IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back