[Review] AKG K545 Portable Headphones
Nov 1, 2013 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Tweezy

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

This is actually my first post here at head-fi.  I recently purchased a set of AKG K545 portable headphones and wanted to give my impressions/review on the unit as there is not many already on the web.

First and foremost, I do understand that this site is for "audiophiles" as the title of the site says.  I do not consider myself an audiophile by any means, but I feel my contributions will be of some use for some out there.  I, myself, am a home theater enthusiast.  I enjoy watching movies and listening to their soundtracks, thus why I continue to grow to love music more and more.  I originally had a pair of Denon AH-D2000's with a FiiO E11 amp about a year ago before I sold it.  I currently own some in-ear Denons that I use for the gym but not too particularly fond of them.  I wanted something better and versatile, as I listen to a vast variety of genres.  After some research, I was in search of the AKG K550's and now I am here with the AKG K545.

I was in search for some headphones that had great sound quality that I could carry around.  I go to school full-time and have time in between classes to study in the library, so that was my main use.  I saw the AKG K550 and saw the amazing reviews everyone was writing and couldn't wait to have them.  I wanted to make them slightly more portable, so my plan was to do a detachable cable mod.  I also wanted to order a better cable like the Sydney from AudioQuest to get a better connection as well as a shorter cable.  When I was finally ready to purchase them, literally the AKG K545 just made it to the store.  I feel as if my prayers were answered with this model.  I couldn't find any reviews on these guys and was kind of skeptical.  Having the same driver size and just slightly smaller, having a detachable cable, and being just slightly smaller, I decided to bite the bullet.

Packaging:  Everything came very nicely package.  All the contents were securely tied down with twist-ties.  Nothing too extravagant.

Contents:  The unit came with the headphones, 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, an Apple device-compatible interconnect as well as another universal one.  I wasn't too sure about the use for the universal one because I happen to own an iPhone 5S.

Size:  This is the relative size to a bluray case.

Fitment:  I literally just got home from work when I took this photo because I was too excited to demo them, hence the clothes haha.

Initial Impressions:  The unit is very well-built.  The unit resembles the AKG K550 very closely.  One of the discernible differences is the absence of the aluminum ring around the cup on the K545.  Aesthetically speaking, I did like the look of the K550 much better because of that, but looks will not alter what the headphones will sound like, so it was not a big deal for me.  The unit has the same measurement increments on the headpiece to assure perfect fitment every time.  The earpads are very plush, very similar to the K550s.
**NOTE**:  I was looking for a headphone with a detachable cable, and that is exactly what I received.  I wanted to mention that the connection on the cup is a 2.5mm.  This wouldn't allow me to use the aftermarket 3.5mm cable as expected, but it's nothing an adapter couldn't fix.  Again, not a huge deal, but it will be an extra connection I will have to keep track of.

Source:  Spotify via iPhone 5S (daily use) and FLACs from my laptop.
Condition:  Right out of the box, no burn in.

Lows:  The lower bass on this unit is extremely smooth!  Coming from a guy who "enjoys" heavy base with one car with two 10" subwoofers and another with a 12" seal subwoofer, it was very satisfying.  They don't produce nearly the bass that most "contemporary" users expect (by that I mean Bose and Beats users, no offense).  I found that it was very balanced.  The bass inside "Blood on the Leaves" by Kanye West is extremely heavy.  I was expecting it to be overwhelming, but observed the exact opposite.  The notes were punchy and clean, giving me an even better appreciation for the song under these circumstances.  Luke Bryan's "That's My Kind of Night" had very smooth base extensions that were complemented very well by the mids/highs.  In all instances, I did notice that it was on the stiffer side, but realize that they will become much fuller with the burn-in process.

Mids/Highs:  Exactly what I was expecting for in these bad boys!  At the volumes I was using them at, which was 50% in both instances, the mids and highs were very sweet.  The electric guitar in Daft Punk's "Aerodynamic" was nothing short of exhilarting.  I was assuming they were going to be on the brighter side like the rest of the speakers I listen to (on a daily basis), but was amazed by how laid back the sound was.  The cymbals from "Hotel California" by the Eagles were very clean, crisp and precise.  I can speculate that some will find it a bit harsh when pushed harder with an amp or even at full volume.  Against, something that potentially can settle down with use.

Vocals:  The headphones give a very intimate feeling.  The artist(s) is/are literally right in front of me, giving me that personal performance.  I do enjoy that as when I am studying, I want to get lost in the music to relax myself.  Luke Bryan's voice in "Drunk On You" definitely gave me butterflies as I was thinking about my girlfriend (haha).  Alex Trimble's vocals in "What You Know" from Two Door Cinema Club was clean and gentle as it was accompanied by the mids with great body.

Soundstage, Separation and Other Thoughts:  The soundstage on these headphones do sound more limited when compared to the AKG K550.  I don't have the 550's for A/B switching to get a differential opinion, but from my demo inside the store, the K545 definitely didn't have as wide of a soundstage.  However, they do have extremely articulate separation.  The raindrops that start off the song "Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson add to such an amazing ambience throughout the song.  Not to mention, the guitar tapping sounded very clean.  The guitars and percussion in "Hotel California" can be distinguished amazingly well, creating a very lively track.  Again, I listened to these headphones at 50%.  At this volume, in a dead quiet room, my girlfriend said she was slightly able to hear the sound bleeding through.  Any higher and she can definitely tell.  However, at full volume, my home theater receiver was set at -25dB (relative to movie theater reference) with regular TV programming playing, and it was almost inaudible inside the headphones.  There is definitely a fine line between keeping your neighbors happy and yourself content.  I didn't wear the headphones for too long as I was using them in roughly 30 minute increments.  I would imagine the comfort level is closer to his K550 counterpart.

Conclusion:  With my vast variety of genres that I listen to, these headphones are certainly a solid all-round unit.  They exceeded my expectations on many levels.  The response of these headphones is very flat, giving a beautiful blend of highs, mids and lows.  I hope this review gave some insight into these wondering headphones.  I will be doing a follow up on this review as I plan on burning the headphones in on my laptop with white/pink noise  Also, I plan on purchasing an AudioQuest Dragonfly to my setup to improve my setup.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 28
An excellent first review and it matches my experience very closely. Thank You. BTW when you upgrade your chain you will notice a serious improvement in sound with a dedicated headphone amp or amp/dac combo, the bass becomes even fuller and everything tightens up.

Interestingly enough I also posted a review on these last in the full size forum and the headgear section.

Her is a past up of my review for those interested.

AKG K545 K550’s little brother isn’t so little!

First off I want to give a huge thanks to RazerDog Audio! I inquired about buying the K545 and they were kind enough to contact AKG about my interest in reviewing this headphone, they are a class act and great example of Online retailing done RIGHT! I also want to thank AKG for giving me this opportunity to review their FLAGSHIP Portable! (It’s a flagship portable in my mind anyway). This pair is a reviewers pair that did not have all the pieces as noted through out the review and is on LOAN.

I am going to do this review initially on the headphone by itself then I have included a section on comparisons against other head phones I have owned including an extensive comparison against the K550 near the end.

Since this is a portable I have decided to use two different portable devices (iPad Mini and Nokia 920 smart phone) with no additional amplification or external DAC’s etc. playing 256KB MP3 files. This is to address the most common user of the headphone versus the Head-fi hard core user. Then I will have a section where I am using an Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP with my computer from FLAC files with a smaller set of notes where I use a small Indeed Tube amp.

Also take note: I am a low to medium volume listener of music and all my review is done at what I consider a medium volume level. For me this is a level that is enjoyable but I don’t feel like my ears are strained when I remove my headphones, even after extended listening sessions. I will state now the K545 starts to be a bit dull sounding at my lower listening levels (background music while doing heavy concentration or going to sleep) to too harsh at medium loud levels (levels where I find everything getting too loud, fun for a song or two but too uncomfortable for extended listening, I might feel a bit of fatigue after a couple of songs at this volume level).

OK lets deal with the physical stuff first. AKG has taken the K550 design and made the ear-pads thinner which has reduced the diameter of the cups by 3/8 of an inch which makes these lighter and much more portable oriented. The K550 always felt a bit to “Princess Leah” to me, the K545 on the other hand simply disappear from mind when I wear them and look darn good according to people around me. The thinner pad does make these less isolating though, good but not great in this department. One neat thing about the thinner pad is that they seal easier while only losing comfort by a very small margin. I believe the increase pressure per square inch of the pad surface accounts for the easier seal. In this area I think AKG has NAILED it in regards to making a portable headphone!

In regards to the cables, I think AKG may have erred slightly on portability as I thought the cable could have been maybe 6 inches longer. I also found the cables to be slightly too springy but still very serviceable. When I did have a chance to compare the K545 to the K550 I did find myself wishing I could have an “audiophile” straight that was longer for at home though and do hope AKG (or all the cable makers out there) will consider offering one as a purchasable accessory. While I am being critical in this area I want to stress only the extremely demanding audiophile members will feel slighted by the cables offered, for the average or new user, or those of us who enjoy portability at the expense of more premium feeling or exotically made cables will be “just fine”. Finally AKG has chosen to use an I shaped jack versus an L shaped one. I personally prefer L jacks but again am not too wrapped up my preference to be too worried about this. I do like the matching color aluminum ends though. NOTE: I only have the iPhone cable with my reviewer pair so have to assume the android cable will have the same jacks, material, and cable length.

My demo pair never had the case so I cannot comment on this accessory at this time but will update this section when I have a chance to see and use the case.

OK so let’s get into the important part, the sound!

All of my testing has been done using the following play list:
·         Loreena McKennitt – Lullaby
·         Patricia Barber – Miss Otis Regrets
·         Diana Krall – Walk on By
·         Nat King Cole – Forgive my Heart
·         Pink Floyd – High Hopes
·         Pink Floyd – Money
·         Eagles – Hotel California
·         AC/DC – Let There be Rock
·         Supertramp – Lord is it Mine
·         Heart – Magic Man
·         Led Zeppelin – Dazed and Confused
·         Led Zeppelin – In the Evening
·         Greg Keelor – When I See You
·         Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm, Hans Haselböck, Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsopernchor & Norbert Balatsch - Requiem in D Minor, K. 626 - Compl. By Franz Xaver Süssmayer: III. Sequentia: Dies Irae
·         2Cellos (Sulic and Hauser) – Smells Like Teen Spirit
·         Giuliano Carmignola, Venice Baroque Orchestra & Andrea Marcon - Concerto for Violin, Strings and Harpsichord in G Minor, R. 331: I. Allegro

I will not critique each song individually as this review would go on forever. But I will comment on specific songs when relevant as I describe the various areas of sound being reviewed. The list is more to give everyone an idea of what music types I listened to while reviewing these. You can see I don’t have every genre of music listed as I don’t listen to everything and do not want to comment on genre’s I don’t like or understand as my comments might be completely off the mark for fans of those genres.

Bass – The bass of the K545 is full and impact-full when used with my portable devices and become even fuller to the point of being to much when I use my Audioengine D1 DAC or Tube amp. This is the area with the most change from the K550 and to my ears it is an improvement in most cases with only the odd song in my collection that comes across as to bass heavy and only when using a headphone amp. The level of sub-bass in “When I See you” for example is just sublime while songs like “Magic Man” and “Dazed and Confused” sound full and complete without going over the edge. Cello’s also come across with lots of timbre and resonance. AKG has managed to add the bass without negatively impacting the midrange or treble, no small feat.
Score – 90%

Midrange – The mid-range is slightly warm giving vocals a nice full body without making them to smooth or laid back. Guitars likewise don’t come across as thin or too harsh except for songs with heavy electic guitar riffs, out my song list “Let There be Rock” occasionally drifted into the harsh zone for me but this may also be as much about my changing song preferences as well. I have heard midranges that have more emotion and transparency but usually at the cost of potential sibilance or thinness. The K545 plays it a bit safe but not so much as to make these feel boring.
Score – 95%

Treble – The treble is the one area that is very reminiscent of the K550 for good or bad. Out of my playlist this added treble was sublime with all of the Jazz and occasionally steps over the line into harsh with harder rock tracks from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. In my opinion the treble never reflected anything more or less than what was in the track though. The level of detail is high while never sounding artificial to my ears.
Score – 95%

Sound Stage – The sound is not as large as some of the other closed headphones I have owned but is above average and never felt artificially large or closed in. I would say it fits well with a portable headphone that might have instances where large would not work out while never making a person feel like they are to limited. Songs like “Lullaby” in particular sound quite expansive during the thunderstorm at the beginning of the song while other songs like “When I See You” have a strong holographic sense to them.
Score 90%

Instrument Separation – This is one area where some of the compromises made by AKG to make these portable does come into play. The headphone never feels congested but also lacks some of the air and space the K550 has. This is most noticeable with classic pieces that have large symphonies.
Score 85%

Isolation – Isolation also suffers in comparison to the K550 and some of the other closed headphones out there but in defense of the K545 all of the good isolators are also larger headphones. In comparison to the Sony MDR1R another portable oriented headphone isolation levels are very comparable.
Score 75%

Comfort – The comfort of this headphone has surprised me as my ears were just small enough to fit the inner diameter of the cup. I do think these are not quite as comfortable as the K550 but I also feel they are as comfortable for me as the Sony MDR1R which is a benchmark headphone for portable comfort in my experience. The 1R does have a larger cup though so will fit more ears than the K545. But I do suspect the softness of the cups make work for people who do have ears that touch the pads.
Score 90%

Source Equipment observations:

During my portable use I noticed quite a bit of difference from my iPad mini and my Nokia 920 phone. They both had about the same amount of power but the iPad was a much warmer/fuller sounding source than the Nokia 920 which has a colder presentation that is a bit thin in the mid-range. So like other headphones I have tried recently the K545 is quite source dependent. I initially disliked my Nokia but started to appreciate the contrast of thinness as it did help make the K545 a bit brighter.

I was very surprised by how well these performed when amped. My original RWAudio Amp1 and Little Dot Dac1 amp combo which is a fairly bright/cold setup worked well with the headphone but suffered a bit from the analytical nature of the setup but I still preferred it to just my portable source. When I hooked up my AudioEngine D1 though, the synergy was magical as it removed some of the harshness from the upper mid-range and treble and really helped the bass become even bigger (to the point of being maybe too thick at times). The sound became even warmer when I hooked up the little Indeed Tube amp to the AudioEngine D1 to the point I was finding it to warm and fluid for my liking. So again these will respond well to different combinations of source equipment and if you’re worried about my review being slightly off in an area your like you can compensate with the right stack.

Thoughts on how I feel the L545 stacks up against the portable competition:

OK so as can be seen by my scores I rate these around a 90% average, but I want to stress I am basing this average on these as a closed portable versus how they compare to every headphone out there especially the larger full size open headphone designs. In the portable market I feel these have more controlled deeper bass than the MDR1R with more extended treble, a larger sound stage and better instrument placement. I think they have slightly looser bass than the DT1350 but with a fuller sounding mid-range and similar levels of treble. The DT1350 has better instrument separation and detail retrieval but at the cost of sounding thin at times, the K545 has a larger sound stage plus added comfort but at the cost of isolation. The new KEF M500 has a more linear sound with similar depths in bass but less body and a thinner more neutral mid-range and a colder sounding treble. The M500 like the DT1350 does have better instrument separation and detail but at the cost of musicality at times. In terms of comfort and security on my noggin the K545 easily wins hands down though.

How do these compare against the K550?

Bass - There was a definite increase in bass in any song I tried that had a solid bass presence. Cello's had more timbre and weight and bass beats and guitars all had more presence. The difference again is not enough to win over bass heads but it was definitely a welcome increase.

Mids - The mid-range is very similar between both headphones with just a smidge more warmth in the K545.

Treble - The treble is very similar between both headphones.

Sound Stage - This area is probably of the most concern for lovers of the K550. The K550 is definitely more spacious and open sounding but not by as much as I thought. The K545 is more intimate putting you a bit closer to the stage but again not by as much as I thought. So the K545 does make compromises in this area to help reduce their size and increase the bass and add some warmth to the headphone. There is a trade off in sound stage but they did a heck of a job minimizing the loss in this area.

Isolation - There is also a bit of isolation loss but aside from heavy transit commuters I suspect many people will still enjoy these while out and about.

Comfort - The K550 is slightly more comfortable but the only just, while the K545 is easier to get a good seal due to slighter more pressure per square inch if the thinner pads.

Cable - The K550 definitely has a more home studio friendly cable that feels more substantial than the included portable cables of the K545. I hope AKG considers offering a cable upgrade to a similar cable as a purchasable accessory for those who want a higher quality long cable for home use.

Pardon my faux pas in the pictures above as in my haste and confusion at the store I put the K550 on backwards for the photo. But this is about the size of each headphone on the head so please accept my apologies :)

Final Thoughts:

AKG has marketed these as a portable version of the K550 with enhanced bass and more portability and I have to say they have ABSOLUTELY NAILED their description and design on the head. Taking the best aspects of the K550 and keeping or enhancing them in baseball terms they have HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK!. While this is touted as a portable I have found these to be great using them with my full size rig at home. About the only place I won’t be using these at is public transit but this is as much because of my new found love for active noise cancelling under such noisy environments. But for walking around the neighborhood or listening to music at work these were perfect.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 28
Do 545s sound better than 550s from not-so-good sources (smartphones, laptops etc.)? I'm asking because K550 were not so easy to power as one could think.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 28
I did the majority of my testing from my iPad mini and Nokia phone and enjoyed the headphone alot. But I did find my Audioengine D1 was better do to the better amp. So yes they can be driven from portable sources and enjoyed but adding an amp will pay dividends in your listening pleasure.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 28
I did the majority of my testing from my iPad mini and Nokia phone and enjoyed the headphone alot. But I did find my Audioengine D1 was better do to the better amp. So yes they can be driven from portable sources and enjoyed but adding an amp will pay dividends in your listening pleasure.

Ok, thanks!

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 28
  An excellent first review and it matches my experience very closely. Thank You. BTW when you upgrade your chain you will notice a serious improvement in sound with a dedicated headphone amp or amp/dac combo, the bass becomes even fuller and everything tightens up.

Thanks dweaver!  The reviews are almost spot on!  I really like the color you have on yours, I was hoping they had all of the color options to choose from when I purchased mine.  I'm looking forward to seeing what this Dragonfly will do.  I can't stop listening to these headphones!

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 28
Yup, after many portable headphones I have found the one that meets my needs the best. I too can't stop listening to mine. I really like this blue color as well.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 28
Yup, after many portable headphones I have found the one that meets my needs the best. I too can't stop listening to mine. I really like this blue color as well.

dweaver.Excuse me.Have you compared it with the SONY MDR-1R?  I think the K545`s biggest competitor is 1R.Do you think so .

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 28
In my comparison section near the bottom I mention the MDR1R. I have owned the 1R twice the second time I did the dynamat mod mentioned in some of the threads. Modded or unmodded I think the 1R is not as good as the K545.

the stock 1R is a bit boomy in the bottom end which is tightened when modded but then they become a bit sharp in the midrange. The K545 also go deeper and higher than the 1R and has better imaging and a bit bigger soundstage. I personally find the K545 as comfortable but people with larger ears will not and not everyone will agree with me on comfort. Finally the K545 does not suffer from wind noise because it does not have vent holes.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 28
In my comparison section near the bottom I mention the MDR1R. I have owned the 1R twice the second time I did the dynamat mod mentioned in some of the threads. Modded or unmodded I think the 1R is not as good as the K545.

the stock 1R is a bit boomy in the bottom end which is tightened when modded but then they become a bit sharp in the midrange. The K545 also go deeper and higher than the 1R and has better imaging and a bit bigger soundstage. I personally find the K545 as comfortable but people with larger ears will not and not everyone will agree with me on comfort. Finally the K545 does not suffer from wind noise because it does not have vent holes.

Thank you ,dweaver.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 28
Damn, I promised myself I wasn't going to post about this headphone unless requested but dang I love this headphone!!! I'm sitting listening to Neil Diamond Hot August Night in high definition FLAC format and everything is just so real on this headphone.

Honestly at the price point of this headphone and design I have not heard a better headphone. It's bass may be to much for some but I just love how full everything sounds while never losing anything in the other areas. It slays the MDR1R, DT1350, M500, M80, well pretty much every portable headphone I have owned and most of my bigger headphones too. Right now the Q701 is slighter better from a sound stage perspective and a bit more detailed but only just and yet because the K545 has it's own flavor I like them equally depending on mood. I sold my last Shure headphone before these arrived because the Q701 just made the SRH1440 sound off for me and these just continue to take me away from that sonic signature. I don't know maybe my tastes have just changed but these just sound so much more natural.

So just to make sure I wasn't just caught up in the Hot August Night album I just switched to JD Souther's version of The Sad Café and NOPE I just love this headphone! The trumpet in the song calls to me and the vocals which are decidedly higher pitched compared to Neil Diamond still sound spot on as does the richness of the guitars and piano. No it's definitely just the headphone :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 28
Thanks a lot for the great reviews guys (Tweezy and dweaver).

This is why I go to this site, to get impressions from real users instead of company sponsored "reviews" from various sites.

I have been shopping for a portable can since July this year without coming to a decision until now. I've had a HD 25-1 for about 15 years as my main portable can. It's not perfect by any means. The gripping force was brutal when new and it was only after 3 years or so that I could start wearing it for an extended time. It's still a bit too tight for me, but much better now. Also, it's not the most good looking hp, but that's subjective of course.

I like the sound of the HD 25-1, lots of detail, nice controlled mid-bass, while it doesn't extend that low, it's agile and fun to listen to. Mids are beautiful while the treble is a bit too bright and can be a bit jarring with certain music. It has settled somewhat over the years, but still too much at times.

Anyhoo, it was time to get a replacement so I've been looking around for a portable can that works for me. I've listened to the Momentum, Amperior, Momentum on-ear (yes, I'm a sennheiser fan), and over the last weeks the MDR-1R, KEF M500, and AKG K545.

When I read about the KEF M500 on this site I was really interested so I went to listen with the intent of getting that can if it sounded good. While listening to it the guy at the store brought out the K545 and said it was an all new can from AKG and he personally liked it a lot.

Both of those sounded great to me, so much so that I couldn't make up my mind, so I left without deciding, then I came back yesterday and did an extended listening session betwen those two and also MDR-1R, Momentum to compare with. I used my Samsung Note 3 as source with local 320kbps AAC music files.

First, the MDR-1R sounds darker (but not murky) overall than the other cans, quite a fun can, but not as detailed as the others and the bass sounds a bit inexact down low. Comfortable to wear.

The Momentum is lovely in many respects, lots of detail in the music, but the bass isn't to my taste. The mid-bass is emphasized and seems to spread quite a bit into the mids as a layer over the music. It's not obvious in all types of music but when I hear it I'm not that thrilled by it. Comfy and nice build and appearance.

Then the KEF M500: Very linear sound, lots of detail to be heard, nice tight bass. It feels analytical in the best sense of the word. Music is presented in a way that I like, without obvious coloring from the heahphone. Very comfortable to the point that I hardly feel that I'm wearing them. Classy looks.

Then finally AKG K545: Quite similar the the KEF but perhaps not as linear. One can hear an emphasis in the bass response, and I seemed to hear a very slight recess in the highs (when I listened to violin music). A lot of detail can be picked up in the music and the bass is fun, punchy, quick but not bloated. Probably not enough for bassheads, but almost a bit much for me. Being of circumaural design they just fit around my ears providing a very nice fit and good but not perfect seal to outside noise.

In the abstract I think the M500 is the best sounding can of the one's I tested (by a small margin), but things being similar I prefer an "around the ear" design over "on the ear". Also I think that the extra bass response may be a good thing for a portable can. One thing I haven't mentioned is sound stage which is best in the AKG. It's only obvious in certain types of music, but when heard it makes the music more alive and airy than other cans will provide.

In conclusion: I wouldn't hate owning any of the tested cans, but having compared them, the finalists are KEF M500 and AKG K545 for their overall true sound presentation with a nod to the KEF, but perhaps more suitable portable sound for the AKG.

I decided on the AKG K545 and after just a day's listening I am very satisfied. Physically comfortable, and fantastic sound paired with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I will try it amped later for comparison, but my goal has been to get a headphone that I can use directly with my phone for portable convenience.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 28
Wow missed this last post, excellent set of comparisons and impressions :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 28
@whuffor, great comparison! Just missing the new NAD Visio HP50 to complete the latest portable/closed offerings.

edit: lol i wrote nad visio m500... godd these fricking headphone names gotto be more original lol

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 28
Nice posts!
beyersmile.png

I'm wondering that how AKG 545's performance in Rock,OST,and Symphonic metal...These three genres are the genres I most listened to.

And I'm highly interested in 545t. So does 545 fit at these three kinds of genres?Or maybe it provides an another sense of listening?

Need some advices! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back