[Review] AKG K545: A new benchmark in portable audio
Aug 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #16 of 40
To compare to similarly priced and sized ones, like the P7 or the Momentum, (and assuming a proper consistent fit) I would probably put them at the top, taking into top consideration clarity and balance. The KEF is (to me) a different thing altogether, fit and sound.

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 40
  I love the sound of the K545 but it has similar problems with fit as the K550. The headband simply does not allow enough pressure to keep a secure fit and hence a consistent sound.

So close....

Thats a shame, the biggest issue with the K550 was fit, if the fit was off it sounded very sub par

to hear that AKG made the k545 with "smaller cups" and the same dismal Head band, leaving very simmilar issues is a real shame :/ 

granted it might be a Touch better, which is "sufficent" but it's a shame they don't just fix the headband, and get rid of those "fit" issues once and for all

although on the plus side, I'm now the owner of a Monster DNA Pro... and after running it  though my speicial 7, I can say it's not nearly on the level the K550 was. So for the $200 price mark, the K550 and 545 seem to be top competitors, IF you can get them to fit :3 

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 40
No, just a different league...know what I'm sayin'?
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 40
Thats a shame, the biggest issue with the K550 was fit, if the fit was off it sounded very sub par

to hear that AKG made the k545 with "smaller cups" and the same dismal Head band, leaving very simmilar issues is a real shame :/ 

granted it might be a Touch better, which is "sufficent" but it's a shame they don't just fix the headband, and get rid of those "fit" issues once and for all

although on the plus side, I'm now the owner of a Monster DNA Pro... and after running it  though my speicial 7, I can say it's not nearly on the level the K550 was. So for the $200 price mark, the K550 and 545 seem to be top competitors, IF you can get them to fit :3 

Both headband and earcups can be modded and the headband can be bent to increase clamp pressure.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 40
How does the K545 compare in sound to the Q701/K70x?

My main interest is in preserving a wide sound stage for a closed back headphone. I'm wondering how it stacks up against the 701. I've heard the sound stage isn't as wide as the k550, but then again, it has the detachable cable the K500 doesn't, which is a huge drawback on the K550 for me.

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 40
How does the K545 compare in sound to the Q701/K70x?

My main interest is in preserving a wide sound stage for a closed back headphone. I'm wondering how it stacks up against the 701. I've heard the sound stage isn't as wide as the k550, but then again, it has the detachable cable the K500 doesn't, which is a huge drawback on the K550 for me.

akg k545 vs qk701. k545 has more bass. more comfortable (no silly bumps). removable cable. more portable. smaller soundstage.

the increased bass sound sig difference is prob the most noticeable difference. the q701 r pretty treble-focused imo while the k545 has more consumer-friendly sound w the slight bass boost.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #24 of 40
I was excited to get the K545 yesterday, but I have to return them since the left speaker is louder than the right one.
I did notice that the lower treble was a bit harsh. I'm not sure if its due to a bad driver or not. I ordered a Brainwave HM5 but Im not sure if I should try the K545 again.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 40
Yeah there are a lot of K545 that have defective drivers. Seems like this model is plagued with really poor quality control.

I managed to get a pair with good drivers but the pads were not even up to standard.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #26 of 40
I just bought a pair of these few days ago. I taught i was looking for bass heavey headphones. When i tried the ATH-M50's they sounded lifeless in the low end. I just didn't like them. In the store i tried out the JBL synchros s700's, witch had damn powerfull bass but muddy mids and higs. When i put these on my head the first time... DAMN. Such clarity, such bass extension, such instrument separation. I was blown away. I bought them right away. There is however one thing that hit my eye badly. These are produced in China, not Austria. Now, looking at the build quallity i wouldn't give them 10/10, i would give them 11/10. Metal all around, nice and sturdy, comfy, amazing. But i read that some have quallity control problems... i don't know why is that but i really didn't like the fact they are not being produced in Austria.  Other then that, this is the best pair of headphones i have ever heard in my life. I haven't had so much experience with very high end audio equipment but still... i wanted to share my experience. To me these are an audio discovery. I now have to get a decent DAC. They work well with an integrated soundcard but i heard de difference right away when my friend gave me an audioquest dragonfly. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #27 of 40
  I just bought a pair of these few days ago. I taught i was looking for bass heavey headphones. When i tried the ATH-M50's they sounded lifeless in the low end. I just didn't like them. In the store i tried out the JBL synchros s700's, witch had damn powerfull bass but muddy mids and higs. When i put these on my head the first time... DAMN. Such clarity, such bass extension, such instrument separation. I was blown away. I bought them right away. There is however one thing that hit my eye badly. These are produced in China, not Austria. Now, looking at the build quallity i wouldn't give them 10/10, i would give them 11/10. Metal all around, nice and sturdy, comfy, amazing. But i read that some have quallity control problems... i don't know why is that but i really didn't like the fact they are not being produced in Austria.  Other then that, this is the best pair of headphones i have ever heard in my life. I haven't had so much experience with very high end audio equipment but still... i wanted to share my experience. To me these are an audio discovery. I now have to get a decent DAC. They work well with an integrated soundcard but i heard de difference right away when my friend gave me an audioquest dragonfly. 

Thanks for your impressions. I had a similar experience as well. I started with the Sennheiser HD280 moving to the V Moda M100 (which I thankfully returned), and then I tried the K550 and was floored at how open and clear it sounded but the bass was just a bit lacking. The manager at the store I was in told me about the K545 and I was highly impressed at for the reduced size how similar they sounded with the exception of an improved bass response and that they were just slightly behind on soundstage. I got them full price of 250 and I'd say they're still worth it. The cheapest I ever saw them locally was 140 dollars and I'm surprised to this day I've never seen anyone else use them in public (I transit pretty much everyday for an hour and a half a well!).

I use the C5D with them; the bass switch compliments the 50mm drivers so well because they can handle so much more clean bass than they tuned to produce.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #28 of 40

Thanks for your impressions. I had a similar experience as well. I started with the Sennheiser HD280 moving to the V Moda M100 (which I thankfully returned), and then I tried the K550 and was floored at how open and clear it sounded but the bass was just a bit lacking. The manager at the store I was in told me about the K545 and I was highly impressed at for the reduced size how similar they sounded with the exception of an improved bass response and that they were just slightly behind on soundstage. I got them full price of 250 and I'd say they're still worth it. The cheapest I ever saw them locally was 140 dollars and I'm surprised to this day I've never seen anyone else use them in public (I transit pretty much everyday for an hour and a half a well!).

I use the C5D with them; the bass switch compliments the 50mm drivers so well because they can handle so much more clean bass than they tuned to produce.

Yeah. I honestly still can't stop being impressed over and over again. Probably because this is the first time i opened my door to high quality audio world. I had the same experience with the K7xx series. I tried id out. They are more expensive. Slightly better soundstage, and i guess somewhat cleaner highs. I couldn't even tell the difference. But bass was just slightly lacking... it was nice and full but not enough of it. These ones are just... wow, such a good balance. Suck amazing clarity. Worth every penny. But i'd really be happier if i didn't see that "made in china" sign.  

Tell me, how much better do they sound when used with C5D in comparison with something like an iphone 5 or a pc with integrated audiocard? 

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 40
Yeah. I honestly still can't stop being impressed over and over again. Probably because this is the first time i opened my door to high quality audio world. I had the same experience with the K7xx series. I tried id out. They are more expensive. Slightly better soundstage, and i guess somewhat cleaner highs. I couldn't even tell the difference. But bass was just slightly lacking... it was nice and full but not enough of it. These ones are just... wow, such a good balance. Suck amazing clarity. Worth every penny. But i'd really be happier if i didn't see that "made in china" sign.  

Tell me, how much better do they sound when used with C5D in comparison with something like an iphone 5 or a pc with integrated audiocard? 

Personally for solid state amps, I'm a believer of "as long as its enough power, it'll sound as intended". I've using my amp because of the analog gain and bass switch and ofc ocd. Out of the phone I use, the sound is pretty much a 98% similarity but my placebo tells me the amp makes the bass tighter. In my opinion, as long as the background is black (no emi interference causing noise), there's no other reason to get a DAC.

I wanted a DAC amp for my comp initially but I wanted something that could work portable as well (I had a tighter grasp on my wallet that time) and the salesman was so persuasive lol. My computer was producing interference and once you hear that kind of stuff, you can't unhear it.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #30 of 40
Hmm, interesting. In the store i heard a noticable difference between the soundcard in my iphone and the audioquest dragonfly. I'll try it out once again so i can buy it if it gives more audio quallity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back