[REVIEW] AiAiAi Capital - I Just Want a Seal
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Swimsonny

Aka: thegardener & ScooterBilly
Undeclared Member of the Trade: Inearspace
writing positive reviews of products he was reselling.
AiAiAi Capital Review

Introduction:

AiAiAi are well known company for the headphones and at the pinnacle of that there top headphone (which I own and will review soon) the TMA-1. They have now offered a new headphone that is slightly cheaper but offers a few different things like the plethora of colour options for it. It retails for roughly £90 and can be picked up all over and in high street stores that is a plus. The only thing I do not like about the company Is my inability to pronounce there name which you will know if you have watched any of my AiAiAi unboxing ahaha.

Set-up:
The set-up I have used is the normal, as I have started using a new portable rig, which is the Hippo CriCri amplifier connected through a LOD to an iPod Nano 3G with Apple Lossless and MP3 on it.

I also used my old set-ups of my iPhone 4, Cowon J3 (with FLAC) and my iMac with my Objective 2 amplifier. I also have paired these with a few other amps such as the MiuAudio MRB.

Build Quality/Design:

The design of these is what I would describe as urban. It is in fashion and comes in loads of colour schemes from an understated black to the some very bright colours. Although it is all plastic and could be seen to look a bit tacky I know that a lot of my friends who are roughly all 16 though that these looked cool and would like a pair for that reason so I can say that AiAiAi got the design right here. It also handily has a 3-button remote/mic that if pressed in different combination can do different actions. SO if you would like this can double up as a hands free kit.

With the TMA-1​

Would also mention that the design is super portable as these fold up into them selves and therefore can fit in most places.

The build is a bit worrying though. We start of with the same low profile jack that the TMA-1 has, it is right angled and is recessed for iPhone cases. It is quite a solid housing to it and it is terminated in a gold plated jack. The strain relief is great and is long and super flexible. The cable it self is also quite nice being not too thick but fairly strong, very similar to the TMA-1 cable.

The headphones themselves are all plastic apart from the headband that is covered in foam. The plastic does not feel to strong but everything is quite thick so the strength is helped a bit. The biggest thing though is how tacky and cheap the plastic used feels, especially compared to the nice sturdy plastic that the TMA-1 uses. The headband also is really thin which helps because it is light but does nothing for your confidence about it lasting. Quite handily though the pads feel like they will last and can be taken off in they do not. Also the ear cups can be taken off the headband so if the headband was ever to break it could be replaced quickly and all of these factors help a lot.

Accessories:

You do not get any which is a shame and I was really hoping for a case or even the awesome pouch that comes with the TMA-1.

Comfort/Fit:

The comfort of these is very good. They are light and have no weight fatiguing and the pads sit on your ears very lightly with little pressure and no clamping. The pads are actually quite firm foam but they do not clamp hard enough to have to worry about that. The headband is very thin and although only padded only by the slightest amount of foam, the small size and little weight stops any worries

Now fit is a real problem and that is because of the little clamping force that I mentioned. You need some sort of pressure with super aural headphones so that they make a seal with you ear and you get the full sound. Because of the lack of clamping there is a huge lack of a seal and it is really hard to combat. To get the seal you have to push them on your ears, twist the cable around to force them to put pressure on your ears or you could DIY a cable cinch. However this is one of the major downsides of this headphone.

The Only Way i Could get a Seal​

Isolation:

Isolation is poor as these do not seal well and also sit on your ears and not over them. They are closed which helps a bit but I still had a good isea what was going on around me an if you need isolation then your going to want to go for an IEM.

Microphonics (Cable Noise):

There is little microphonics and you only get a faint thud which is good. If this may be something that worries you then worry not as these are fine in this department.

Burn-In:

By what I am about to write I do not want to cause any upsets or arguments as this topic can be seen as a sour subject. These have had roughly 100 hours now of use and burn in combined. As burn in is not scientifically proven this all could be mental and happening in my head but in the case that it does happen I recommend burning them in as in my personal experience I have noted improvements which have a massive impact on my enjoyment factor, so don’t make any irrational decisions after listening to them out the box.

Sound Quality:

The sound of these with a seal (I had to force this) I would say is swaying to bassy with an emphasis and dominant force. There is like this a slight veil over the mids and the sound does seem to be quite muddy BUT it is full and warm and sounds actually quite pleasant. However listening to them with a lack of a seal you have a rather neutral signature with a very empty bass and not quite complete signature. It is rather cold and bright and the mids still do not have the most present but the sound actually has good clarity.

Soundstage and instrument separation:

The soundstage is the usual for a on ear portable headphone and that is small and claustrophobic. Everything with these happens inside of your head and everything seems to be compressed together. There is also a lack of depth with these and everything is thin and far from immersive.

Instrument separation is actually on the better side of things. I actually could tell were most things were coming from and it actually even managed a nice layering until things got extremely loaded. Everything just seems really clear

Bass:

I think I should but the bass in to two sections as I cannot comment on the sealed sound and you get them and cannot achieve a seal.

Sealed Bass:  The mid-bass is very full and has a slight emphasis to it that is not too much but is clearly there. It is quite strong in presence and fairly large in quantity. It has god texture and groans very nice yet it is a tad slow and missing a beat here and there. The impact is strong and satisfying.

Extension actually reaches pretty low and you get some real nice low frequencies and a rumble that is good.

No Seal Bass: The bass feels empty and close to non-existent. You may not think there is any and all you can get is a little low impact groan every now and again and it is clearly not right. Extension is as non-existent as the mid-bass.

Midrange:

The mids should be warm but without a seal are cold. Without the seal they are extremely clear and only a tad behind the highs and in front of the bass. They are always on the bright side of things and sound very good with guitars. Mids with a seal are a tad veiled and also you can sense dark space in the background. Details are nice without a seal but less with one but overall quite smooth and nice in texture with good timbre.

Treble:

The treble is really waily and strident with strong presence and lots of sparkle. The seal does not really affect the treble apart from the fact with out one-it rules the show and with a seal it shares center stage with the bass. It has rather full extension and fair amount of detail. The treble is really good.

Conclusion:

What we have here is potential. A good price, a good design, slightly tacky build quality and a strong sound, imagine a slightly less refined TMA-1.

However all of this is plagues with the lack of an ability to get a seal and unless this is sorted I cannot recommend them, once this is sorted I will change this part of the review. Apparently the AiAiAi customer service have said that they are working on new pads that will gain a seal and I hope this is soon as these are a product that sound good when you get the seal and I really think people will like them. They are also widely available which is good and you get these many places online or also from some stores like the apple store.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 16
My Unboxing Video:

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 16
Were the pads easily removeable or glued on? Maybe a mod can be done.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 16
Interesting. Nice review and well done. I've been following some threads on this headphone and there seem to be a lot of complaints about the seal. I am working on a new roundup review and have been in touch with AIAIAI (US). After over a month of them telling me they had no review samples available they are finally sending me a pair of the Capital as well as the TMA-1 Studio. I will be very curious to see if the delay was due to them making some changes on this model. I will post an update here when I get them and also a link to my review when it's done. For what it's worth, I really liked the Tracks model and ranked it very high in my last roundup review of compact portables:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

I'm also very intrigued to evaluate the TMA-1 Studio...

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Yeh, they are currently re working both of them products you have mentioned so that will be the delay that you have. Hopefully you will get the revised versions although they are both not ready yet.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Great review.  Think I will wait until there is a solution to the seal problem before I get a pair.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Great review.  Think I will wait until there is a solution to the seal problem before I get a pair.

Yeh hopefully it will be sorted soon as owning them at the moment is pretty much pointless!

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 16
I won a pair of these at the recent UK meet, but was initially disappointed the find that I couldn't get a good fit. My main issue was that they clamped against the top of my ears, which was uncomfortable within seconds of putting them on. However, I read a comment somewhere on here about using Sennheiser HD25 velour pads (sorry, can't find the thread at the moment to give proper credit where it's due). I gave that a try, and its made them much more comfortable. Might be worth giving a try for the seal aspect if you have some available to try.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I won a pair of these at the recent UK meet, but was initially disappointed the find that I couldn't get a good fit. My main issue was that they clamped against the top of my ears, which was uncomfortable within seconds of putting them on. However, I read a comment somewhere on here about using Sennheiser HD25 velour pads (sorry, can't find the thread at the moment to give proper credit where it's due). I gave that a try, and its made them much more comfortable. Might be worth giving a try for the seal aspect if you have some available to try.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe i will give that a try if i can get some of them pads. Hopefully they will make there own solution too.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 16
I got my review pair this week and at first I thought I was going to have the same seal problem that so many people have mentioned. I tried them for a while OOTB and then put them aside to burn in for a day or two. Yesterday I took them along for my daily train commute and I have to say the seal was not too bad. I certainly didn't have to press on them to get a decent amount of bass but doing that does make a slight difference. My biggest complaint is that earpads are a bit firm and since I wear glasses they get a bit uncomfortable. As mentioned in this thread, AIAIAI took a long time to get these samples shipped to me. I can't say for sure since I didn't have a previous pair to compare but they may have tweaked the design somewhat. As far as sound quality, they do sound very good. But I also got a pair of the TMA-1 Studio which are way nicer (which they should be for the price!).

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Oh thats good to hear that you did not struggle. Maybe you have the tweaked version, it is very likely!

So, I did hear back from AIAIAI's P.R. firm it they are saying that a revision was done that involves the earcup material and also the headband. But also the newer version has not hit the states yet. So, it looks like I got the original and I just have not as much of a problem as others have. It's very strange, I feel that there is a "sweet spot" in term of positioning and it's not at all easy to find, but when I have it right there are almost no seal problems at all and then I'm digging the headphones and all is good. Also want to reiterate that these are even fussier for anyone who wears glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back