[Review] A Remarkable Comparable of Affordable Detachables: VSonic VSD3 vs. Shure SE215
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

JoeDoe

Headphoneus Supremus
In this corner...

the reigning budget-friendly detachable-cabled in-ear: the Shure SE215!!!

And in this corner...

the newcomer looking to steal the title: the VSonic VSD3S!!! 

So I won't bore you with a huge writeup about the improving bang-for-your-buck ratio for budget-priced IEMs, or the pros and cons of FR graphs, or where babies come from. If you want that stuff, read up on someone else' review... or consult Wikipedia.

Here's what you need to know:

1. Both of these guys come in at a street price of under $100. (215: $99 and the VSD3: $60)
  2. Even though there are a few other detachable options for under $100, these are the only two worth considering.
  3. Both are single (micro)dynamic driver IEMs designed to be worn over ear.
  4. BOTH PERFORM QUITE WELL!

Testing Material:

Source: MacBook Pro >>> Fidelia >>> Fiio X5 as USB DAC 

Songs:

Ramble On by Led Zeppelin from Led Zeppelin II (24/96)
Make It Mine by Jason Mraz from We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things (16/44)
A Wake by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis from The Heist (24/44)
​Someone Like You by Adele from Live at the Royal Albert Hall (24/48)
Finale from Dvorak Symphony No. 9 by Georg Solti and the CSO (16/44)
So What by Miles Davis from Kind of Blue (24/96)
Lingus by Snarky Puppy from We Like It Here (16/44)

Sound:

Bass: From the bottom up, the VSD has the edge in clarity and speed. The 215 takes the cake in quantity. The electric in Ramble On is more textured through the VSD albeit more prominent in the 215. Both reach to a similar depth, however, because the VSD is a little closer to 'neutral' there's less bleed from in the mid-bass into the lower midrange. Because of the bleed, the intricacies and nuances in the rock/jazz tunes are smudged and less clear. For the average consumer the bass on the 215 is great! It definitely makes the bump in A Wake more fun and punchy! As a matter of fact, going to the VSD from the 215 on any hip hop or EDM tune makes me left wanting a bit... But if you're after clarity more than quantity, the VSD bests the low end on the reigning champ.

Mids: Both IEMs tend to be a little mid-centric to these ears. The Shure house sound is a mid-centric one, and in my experience this is the norm for lower-level VSonic dynamics. Both present a rich lush midrange that's pretty engaging. Adele's vocals are crisp and rich, as are the French horns and violins in the Dvorak. Differences are subtle, but I have to say that the 215 wins in the midrange. Although at first it just seems that they are more forward than the Korean, the 215 also feels fuller and more 'lifelike.' It makes me feel less like I'm listening through headphones than the VSD3. The difference is more obvious on female vocals, but noticeable nonetheless. 

Treble: Just like the bass and midrange, the treble in these two IEMs is very similar. Slightly rolled off, yet still detailed - a very consumer-friendly sound. The sonic differences have very little to do with quantity but rather with quality. While the Shure still presents a very fluid, smooth upper end, the VSD offers a bit more texture. The edge of 's' and 't' syllables on Adele's and Jason's vocals are much shorter on the VSD than the 215. The intricate hi-hat work on Lingus is a little easier to make out through the VSD also. 

Soundstage/Separation: The differences here are subtle also, albeit noticeable. The Shure, with its more upfront midrange and slightly boomier bass sounds a little more congested than it's up-and-coming counterpart. It's certainly not unnatural or unlistenable, but since I'm doing a lot of A/Bing between the two, it is noticeable that the VSD wins with regards to soundstage depth and instrument separation. Both had similar left-to-right space.

Ergonomics/Accessories: Normally I don't spend much time here, especially with two earphones that are so similar in design... but... there are a few things you need to be aware of. First, even though it loses on a few on the sonic categories, the 215 handily wins with regards to durability and ergonomics. Its housing is smaller and more rounded. It's cable is much sturdier (especially it's connectors!) And its nylon zippered case offers much more than the cinching velvet bag from VSonic. Yes I realize that these are largely reflected in the price difference between the two, but I think they're worth mentioning. The VSD's cable is the typical PVC-esque offering that VSonic made waves with via the GR07. Nice and flexible, decent chin slider, and low profile plug. It's ear guides are a joke though. The 215's memory wire is a little resistant, but I'll take it over the spring VSD cable and it's lame guides. Also, the VSD's proprietary connectors? Crap. They stay connected, but I've never had sound cut out when I move my head like these little guys do. After I wiggle em around and sometimes dis- and then reconnect them, they are fine, but who should have to do that every time they want to listen to music? The 215 has never given me a problem.

Conclusion: In short, the VSD3S is a better-sounding in-ear where the 215 makes up considerable ground in the ergonomics/accessories department. For the price, you can't go wrong with either. For someone wanting a better all-rounder, I'd pick the VSD3, but if you'd like something a little more fun, take the 215. Also, if you're gonna be pretty rough on your IEM, the 215 is the only real option. The VSD just doesn't stand up in that department and given the fact that you'd have to get replacement or warranty coverage through international avenues... well, I just don't think it's worth it. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 29
Very nice write up!

I had an se215, and I would say it is ok. Build quality is excellent, but the soundstage was pretty narrow, and sub bass was nearly non existent. I would guess this is due to the tiny microdriver diameter, but it was pretty pathetic. Also sounded veiled on some orchestral tracks.

I wouldn't choose the 215 again, since it wasnt very impressive. Havent heard vsd3s though, idk about that.

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 29
Great write up!

I was considering puchasing the VSD3 for a friend a few months back as I found the sound fantastic for the price. Fortunately, I know the store owner very well and he actually advised me against the VSD3 simply due to the fact he has so many cases of them being returned to him due to connector issues. Seems your thoughts on it is spot on!

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 29
  In this corner...

the reigning budget-friendly detachable-cabled in-ear: the Shure SE215!!!

And in this corner...

the newcomer looking to steal the title: the VSonic VSD3S!!! 

So I won't bore you with a huge writeup about the improving bang-for-your-buck ratio for budget-priced IEMs, or the pros and cons of FR graphs, or where babies come from. If you want that stuff, read up on someone else' review... or consult Wikipedia.

Here's what you need to know:

1. Both of these guys come in at a street price of under $100. (215: $99 and the VSD3: $60)
  2. Even though there are a few other detachable options for under $100, these are the only two worth considering.
  3. Both are single (micro)dynamic driver IEMs designed to be worn over ear.
  4. BOTH PERFORM QUITE WELL!

Testing Material:

Source: MacBook Pro >>> Fidelia >>> Fiio X5 as USB DAC 

Songs:

Ramble On by Led Zeppelin from Led Zeppelin II (24/96)
Make It Mine by Jason Mraz from We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things (16/44)
A Wake by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis from The Heist (24/44)
​Someone Like You by Adele from Live at the Royal Albert Hall (24/48)
Finale from Dvorak Symphony No. 9 by Georg Solti and the CSO (16/44)
So What by Miles Davis from Kind of Blue (24/96)
Lingus by Snarky Puppy from We Like It Here (16/44)

Sound:

Bass: From the bottom up, the VSD has the edge in clarity and speed. The 215 takes the cake in quantity. The electric in Ramble On is more textured through the VSD albeit more prominent in the 215. Both reach to a similar depth, however, because the VSD is a little closer to 'neutral' there's less bleed from in the mid-bass into the lower midrange. Because of the bleed, the intricacies and nuances in the rock/jazz tunes are smudged and less clear. For the average consumer the bass on the 215 is great! It definitely makes the bump in A Wake more fun and punchy! As a matter of fact, going to the VSD from the 215 on any hip hop or EDM tune makes me left wanting a bit... But if you're after clarity more than quantity, the VSD bests the low end on the reigning champ.

Mids: Both IEMs tend to be a little mid-centric to these ears. The Shure house sound is a mid-centric one, and in my experience this is the norm for lower-level VSonic dynamics. Both present a rich lush midrange that's pretty engaging. Adele's vocals are crisp and rich, as are the French horns and violins in the Dvorak. Differences are subtle, but I have to say that the 215 wins in the midrange. Although at first it just seems that they are more forward than the Korean, the 215 also feels fuller and more 'lifelike.' It makes me feel less like I'm listening through headphones than the VSD3. The difference is more obvious on female vocals, but noticeable nonetheless. 

Treble: Just like the bass and midrange, the treble in these two IEMs is very similar. Slightly rolled off, yet still detailed - a very consumer-friendly sound. The sonic differences have very little to do with quantity but rather with quality. While the Shure still presents a very fluid, smooth upper end, the VSD offers a bit more texture. The edge of 's' and 't' syllables on Adele's and Jason's vocals are much shorter on the VSD than the 215. The intricate hi-hat work on Lingus is a little easier to make out through the VSD also. 

Soundstage/Separation: The differences here are subtle also, albeit noticeable. The Shure, with its more upfront midrange and slightly boomier bass sounds a little more congested than it's up-and-coming counterpart. It's certainly not unnatural or unlistenable, but since I'm doing a lot of A/Bing between the two, it is noticeable that the VSD wins with regards to soundstage depth and instrument separation. Both had similar left-to-right space.

Ergonomics/Accessories: Normally I don't spend much time here, especially with two earphones that are so similar in design... but... there are a few things you need to be aware of. First, even though it loses on a few on the sonic categories, the 215 handily wins with regards to durability and ergonomics. Its housing is smaller and more rounded. It's cable is much sturdier (especially it's connectors!) And its nylon zippered case offers much more than the cinching velvet bag from VSonic. Yes I realize that these are largely reflected in the price difference between the two, but I think they're worth mentioning. The VSD's cable is the typical PVC-esque offering that VSonic made waves with via the GR07. Nice and flexible, decent chin slider, and low profile plug. It's ear guides are a joke though. The 215's memory wire is a little resistant, but I'll take it over the spring VSD cable and it's lame guides. Also, the VSD's proprietary connectors? Crap. They stay connected, but I've never had sound cut out when I move my head like these little guys do. After I wiggle em around and sometimes dis- and then reconnect them, they are fine, but who should have to do that every time they want to listen to music? The 215 has never given me a problem.

Conclusion: In short, the VSD3S is a better-sounding in-ear where the 215 makes up considerable ground in the ergonomics/accessories department. For the price, you can't go wrong with either. For someone wanting a better all-rounder, I'd pick the VSD3, but if you'd like something a little more fun, take the 215. Also, if you're gonna be pretty rough on your IEM, the 215 is the only real option. The VSD just doesn't stand up in that department and given the fact that you'd have to get replacement or warranty coverage through international avenues... well, I just don't think it's worth it. 

fantastic write up! i thoroughly enjoyed it! i wish i had the opportunity to listen to the se215 for longer than 5 minutes! 

i would love to hear for myself the differences, and see if my opinions matches yours! 

still loving my vsd3s here! but been babying them ever since because of poor strain reliefs. 

they sound great! and isolate great too! 

BTW @JoeDoe what eartips are you using on the se215s?

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 29
Very nice write up!

I had an se215, and I would say it is ok. Build quality is excellent, but the soundstage was pretty narrow, and sub bass was nearly non existent. I would guess this is due to the tiny microdriver diameter, but it was pretty pathetic. Also sounded veiled on some orchestral tracks.

I wouldn't choose the 215 again, since it wasnt very impressive. Havent heard vsd3s though, idk about that.

nah, the microdriver diameter doesn't matter when it comes to sub bass. there are a bunch of microdriver earphones that excel in the sub bass dept. perhaps its just shure's tuning? I owned the se215's for a few months. I loved them when I first got them, but eventually I felt there was too much treble information missing.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 29
Eyyy I am from cleveland too! Well, close enough haha

Would you mind giving an example of earphones with microdrivers that have great sub bass? You are probably right though, I don't have the most experience

I do like microdrivers though (or, at least small ones). I have a feeling driver soze correlates to driver flex, but I would have to become a millionaire and test every headphone ever.

Back on topic....Personally gonna try fidue a71 as a sub $100 contender, read great things about it!

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 29
Yes. good to know I have Head-fi neighbors
smile_phones.gif
. I too am a HUGE microdriver fanboy! Ive owned several, but there are a bunch i've yet to experience. lets see.... one of my all time fav. microdrivers has to be my jvc fxc51. i've had mine for years now and I still enjoy its sound. It was jvc's first or second microdriver / carbon nanotube earphone, so it paved the way for the later FXD series, witch became pretty popular here. umm.... Ive got a set of Fidue a31's. they have a 5._ microdriver and have GOBS of bass. I did have the jvc fxd70, and I didn't like it at all. I gave it a ton of chances to win me over, and it never did.... My jvc fxt90's have nice bass. its not really sub bass focused, more mid bass, but it can go low if it needs to. 

here are a few microdriver earphones to look into, if your bored: 
Fidue a71
Audio technica IM50 / IM70 (dual microdriver)
Audio technica CKN50 / CKN70 (IIRC)
Havi b3 pro 1(dual microdriver)
ttpod t1e (dual)
sennheiser ie800
sony mh1c
jvc fxt100 / fxt200
TDK ie800
aurisonics rockets

I cant think of anymore right now, but here are a few links to specific threads about various microdrivers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694968/a-roundup-of-microdriver-iems
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751147/dual-dynamic-comparison-havi-ttpod-jvc-brainwavz

as to your idea about driver size in relation to driver flex, I've read that smaller drivers can perform better than larger ones due to the fact that they don't have to move as much to produce frequencies. Not really sure, but I do LOVE a microdriver!

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 29
Great review. I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the sibilance plaguing most Vsonic models. I haven't tried the VSD3 but the VSD1 (which I guess they are replacing) can be quite sibilant some times, even though the resolution is amazing for a $40 IEM.

Shame Vsonic really skimped on the connectors. I would probably go for the non-detachable version of the VSD3, Less headache and who really needs a detachable cable on a $60 IEM. The replacement cable alone would probably cost north of $30 with shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back