REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #511 of 533

Quote:
My LCD-3 Review

So largely in isolation - and after taking a pair apart, all the way down to the raw components - I concluded that because the diaphragm was rigidly edge-clamped and relatively stiff and heavy (in Mylar-and-electrical-traces terms, that is) there was mechanical energy entering the frame structures and releasing through relatively small and stiff pads via bone conduction to the ears.

And it’s possible Audeze reached the same conclusion, because in my opinion the most important addition to the LCD-2 Rev 2 was the much larger and softer pads.  I believe these act to mechanically decouple the frames from the head while maintaining a good seal.

Thanks for posting this review, very nicely done and quite the counterpoint. I had a hard time with my original, early-model rev.1, evidently because of the stiff pad problem. The worst part was the headaches that I would get around my temples when I wore eyeglasses with them. The bone conduction problem that you mentioned is also very interesting.

But just to nitpick I wanted to point out that just before the rash of rev.1 driver failures that preceded the introduction of the rev.2, Audeze changed the pads on the rev.1 to the same ones that are being used on the rev.2. I have never had any of the comfort problems due to the stiff pads with my current rev.1, which I ordered at the very end of last year. It seems that I was lucky enough to get the rev.1 with all of the improvements of the rev.2 sans the new driver material and optional leather headband. I believe my current LCD-2 to be part of the only batch of rev.1 to come with the new rev.2 pads that didn't also have the defective drivers.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #513 of 533

Quote:
^^ If you've got a good R1 with the R2 pads, I'd say you were most of the way to an LCD-3.  Enjoy!

Nice review, thanks. About the sound stage issue you mentioned, burning in might do the trick. And also the ALO cables are always good on opening up the space and adding air to the SQ, works with LCD2 and 3 in my case.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #514 of 533

Quote:
Just one side question here, how does normal stereo music using the Smyth Realiser compare with true binaural recordings? 

Smyth the developer of DTS has done a extended version of Binaural recording, the biggest difference is that rather than use a dummies head the Realiser uses the users  head and ears. However because of this process the PRIR's and HPHQ can only be used for the person that these were made for, so if you were to use my PRIR's and HPEQ's you would not hear what I am hearing because everything would be off to you. In my case I took my head and Realiser to AIX sound studio's out in LA, using there sound engineer and there room acoustics and all there high end audio equipment made all of my PRIR's there. The HPEQ can be made at home for what ever headphones and downstream from the Realiser gear you are using, then incorporated into the PRIR's.

imo, the Realiser is better but I have only heard a very limited number of true Binaural recordings. Also because of the price of the Realiser and what you have to do to make a really great PRIR, I would only recommend this for folks that not only want to use it for there 2Ch audio but for the MCH audio like high bit rate lossless 5.1/7.1 audio that is on the newer Blu Ray movies, and that is fed directly to the Realiser via HDMI from the source player then out to a very good DAC still in its digital (LPCM) form.

So to tie this into this thread, it is because of the .1 Ch (SW) of MCH audio that I became interested in the LCD-3. My HE6's on maybe 1 out of 4 MCH audio sound tracks would so sings of distortion on the .1 Ch (LFE) for things like big loud low rumbling explosions. The distortion would only last about 1 or 2 seconds but I do strive for perfection. So far it seems that the LCD-3 has over come this problem.

Edit, you nailed it.
wink.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578219/review-audeze-lcd-3-planar-magnetic-headphones/495#post_7904057

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #516 of 533

Quote:
hm...can no one help me ? :/

cheers
Abe

(question p.29)

Sorry but I've never listened to the Devialet D-Premier , though this amp does look like a very nice one. Is there a phone jack in the Devialet D-Premier. If not, you might need a resistor box for the headphones. I bet no one has ever heard it with LCD3s yet, that's why nobody can offer any help for now, the best way is to try it yourself and find out if the sound is to your liking.  Cheers, Jian.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #517 of 533

Quote:
Just one side question here, how does normal stereo music using the Smyth Realiser compare with true binaural recordings? 

From those I listened there is no comparison, the smyth copies the environment, acoustics/speakers  up to 99% I would say. On the dealer room the speakers were playing my cd and then he got the headphones on my head(SR-202).  I was there sitting for an entire minute waiting for the speakers to be turned off and kick the headphone but that was when I took it off and i realized the speakers weren't playing, jaw dropping to say the least, it happens it was plugged to start playing the headphone instead of speakers once it detects the sensor. Now imagine taking the dealer speakers/room to my home.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #518 of 533

Quote:
Sorry but I've never listened to the Devialet D-Premier , though this amp does look like a very nice one. Is there a phone jack in the Devialet D-Premier. If not, you might need a resistor box for the headphones. I bet no one has ever heard it with LCD3s yet, that's why nobody can offer any help for now, the best way is to try it yourself and find out if the sound is to your liking.  Cheers, Jian.

Hey,

thank you for replying :)
There isn't a phone jack directly, but you can program the devialet's different outputs with an SD-Card to change/set the impedance/wat to your liking :)

cheers, Abe

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #519 of 533
Innerspace, what do you use for gain control with your Pinnacle? Thanks.
By the way, the LCD2 Rev2 and LCD3 are both excellent with the Pinnacle I think, with the highs tuned by the choice of the 6NS7 gain tube (a Brimar works well).
I think these Audezes and Pinnacle are a match made in heaven. (A Q-cable helps, too -- just an ordinary 1/4 inch plug version.)
It's so sweet and compelling but with power and drive and silky/real vocals and lots of layering. The bass is "just there" naturally.
I think it's better than R10 sound.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #520 of 533

Quote:
Innerspace, what do you use for gain control with your Pinnacle? Thanks.
By the way, the LCD2 Rev2 and LCD3 are both excellent with the Pinnacle I think, with the highs tuned by the choice of the 6NS7 gain tube (a Brimar works well).
I think these Audezes and Pinnacle are a match made in heaven. (A Q-cable helps, too -- just an ordinary 1/4 inch plug version.)
It's so sweet and compelling but with power and drive and silky/real vocals and lots of layering. The bass is "just there" naturally.
I think it's better than R10 sound.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the regular Pinnacle has a five-way gain matching knob, balanced and unbalanced IEM-Lo-Hi, which was one of the things I asked Pete to leave out.  The amp is set up for a 50 - 80 ohm unbalanced phone only.  But there's a volume control as normal - maybe hard to see in the pic because the knob is from an old Precision Bass.  (My substitution, just for fun.)

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #522 of 533

Quote:
Thanks Innerspace. I'm also assuming your volume control is the same DACT2 used in the stock Pinnacle. Is the gain in your Pinnacle the same as the regular one? Thanks again.

Yes, the pot is a DACT2.  Based on experience with the original Pinnacle I had Pete fix the gain architecture 6db below the original's "unbalanced low" setting.  That gives the volume control a useful range under most circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back