Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #391 of 398
Bruh I don't like to comment on someone's taste but once you said it's faster and more detailed than k812 and HD800 it's not a good sign for me. I tried these headphones before and they were already right on the edge for me. Not everyone like overly fast and analytical sound you should respect other's taste. And like I said your driving device matters a lot not everyone gonna use that kind of crazy expansive device with 150$ headphone like you did.....I don't know how it sounds but I only bought this headphone because it's one of the best budget options out there. With that being said I don't have much budget for Dac/Amp as well. I believe this is also the case for lots of other people. And this mod does work well for my cheap devices that's all what matters to me.
Or you should find youself other headphones. These are clearly not for you! :)
The K701 is a tool for mastering not a toy for audiofools. And I use the Hilo exactly for that. Critical listening and decision making.
I can't speak about the latest versions made in China though. I have the Austrian ones, serials 14059 and 64591.
Ofcourse, nothing in this world is perfect so neither are these. If I were to nickpick something about them on the Hilo, then the bass could be a bit/a tad punchier but just about it; there's nothing else I can complain.
The K812 are muddy, slow and nazal by comparison (big dip between 4 and 5 kHz); the HD800s while very detailed they are slow for fast and aggresive music like metal or electronica.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #392 of 398
Or you should find youself other headphones. These are clearly not for you! :)
The K701 is a tool for mastering not a toy for audiofools. And I use the Hilo exactly for that. Critical listening and decision making.
I can't speak about the latest versions made in China though. I have the Austrian ones, serials 14059 and 64591.
Ofcourse, nothing in this world is perfect so neither are these. If I were to nickpick something about them on the Hilo, then the bass could be a bit/a tad punchier but just about it; there's nothing else I can complain.
The K812 are muddy, slow and nazal by comparison (big dip between 4 and 5 kHz); the HD800s while very detailed they are slow for fast and aggresive music like metal or electronica.
I like k812 and HD800 and T1 better than stock k701. Since I couldn't afford them I just want a cheap headphone which sounds close to them🙃 I want to get rid of that annoying 3-5k bump this mod does help a little bit on that besides bass bump. For me modded k701 is much closer to them than the stock one.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #393 of 398
I made this mod for my K701 (Chinese + LP G111 amplifiers + CD6007 source). Dire Straits sounded with a lot more bass and it was too much. But when I started listening to classical music recordings, I immediately realized that it was impossible to listen to it. The beautifully balanced sound of these headphones has been completely disrupted. It took me 20 minutes of listening to return the stickers.

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #394 of 398
I made this mod for my K701 (Chinese + LP G111 amplifiers + CD6007 source). Dire Straits sounded with a lot more bass and it was too much. But when I started listening to classical music recordings, I immediately realized that it was impossible to listen to it. The beautifully balanced sound of these headphones has been completely disrupted. It took me 20 minutes of listening to return the stickers.
Yeah the biggest problem of this mod is it introduces a lot more distortion while increase the bass, but it was interesting to me to try on different material to see how they change the bass, and I actually found some of them sound better than stock sticker

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #395 of 398
I implemented the bass mod very early on when I got my used Austrian K701, and have been enjoying them since. But I had to change the headband elastics and I took the chance to revert the bass mode and compare.

Problem: I forgot where I put the original stickers.

Solution: the 3M Micropore (TM) medical tape. I experimented with small squares of it and I went for a single square with a very small pinhole on the centre. The peak around 6KHz got a little bit more noticeable and the bass lost some of its presence but kept the depth and I believe the resolution improved. The imaging seemed to also improve, as well as the stage dimensionality.

The Micropore tape is a very useful tool to have around, and I've been using it to tame energetic IEMs by sticking it directly to the nozzle.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #396 of 398
I implemented the bass mod very early on when I got my used Austrian K701, and have been enjoying them since. But I had to change the headband elastics and I took the chance to revert the bass mode and compare.

Problem: I forgot where I put the original stickers.

Solution: the 3M Micropore (TM) medical tape. I experimented with small squares of it and I went for a single square with a very small pinhole on the centre. The peak around 6KHz got a little bit more noticeable and the bass lost some of its presence but kept the depth and I believe the resolution improved. The imaging seemed to also improve, as well as the stage dimensionality.

The Micropore tape is a very useful tool to have around, and I've been using it to tame energetic IEMs by sticking it directly to the nozzle.
I’m curious as to how you change the headband elastics. Can you get OEM ones?

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #397 of 398
I’m curious as to how you change the headband elastics. Can you get OEM ones?
The original ones are very expensive (I asked one for quotes on AKG official suppliers) and I never found OEM ones. Moreover, disassembling the headband where the elastics go seems to be a dangerous nightmare.

I use two thin hairbands per side, tied to one another, and I just pass the hairbands through the fixation points on the headband and through the original fixation inside the earcups.

16645487852012042102374888101965.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #398 of 398
The original ones are very expensive (I asked one for quotes on AKG official suppliers) and I never found OEM ones. Moreover, disassembling the headband where the elastics go seems to be a dangerous nightmare.

I use two thin hairbands per side, tied to one another, and I just pass the hairbands through the fixation points on the headband and through the original fixation inside the earcups.

16645487852012042102374888101965.jpg
Thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back