Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Jun 30, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #167 of 398

Two things you can try: remove the sticker on the bass port, and apply it again, but only covering the bass port partly.

Or use tape and poke holes in it, as ThurstonX suggested.

Thinly sliced foam is another option.  I tried a few different types of the spongy foam, some being better than others.  Makes for a nice middle ground if fully open isn't your cup of tea.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #168 of 398
  1. OMG! What am I doing?! LOOK @ all the wires!!!
    ***NOTE***
        This is the LEFT side w/ the mini XLR. DO NOT DO THIS ONE FIRST!! The wires, specifically that yellow one is VERY short. Pulling off the cap was very difficult and I had to use quite a bit of force. Start w/ the RIGHT side so you get a feel for how it's done.

2. START W/ THE RIGHT GRILL!! Find a thumb tack. It's too fat to go all the way through, so don't worry about poking anything. Once you have penetrated the hole of your choice (just the tip), gently, but forcefully begin to rotate counter clockwise. You should notice the grill spin ever so slightly.

3. Now just "pry" open w/ the tack or turn over and it should fall off. You can see the mechanism and peeking out from the shadows is...

Am I doing something wrong? The grill just doesn't come off. I tried with two toothpicks, at the longest radius with tremendous force but I just can't turn the grill, neither of them... The toothpicks break although they endured pretty well. I just don't think they need that much force, I'm trying really hard.
Do I have to push/pull the grill during or something?
I have the Made in China version.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #169 of 398
  Am I doing something wrong? The grill just doesn't come off. I tried with two toothpicks, at the longest radius with tremendous force but I just can't turn the grill, neither of them... The toothpicks break although they endured pretty well. I just don't think they need that much force, I'm trying really hard.
Do I have to push/pull the grill during or something?
I have the Made in China version.

They are definitely tougher the first time 'round, but once you do it, it's easier every other time, at least in my experience.

Most people who tried toothpicks had that problem.  You need something stiffer, probably metallic.  I used small wood nails with points that fit snugly in the grill holes, but long enough to grip comfortably.  Others have had success with thumbtacks.  Whatever you use, use two positioned near the outer edge, opposite each other.  And remember to turn counter-clockwise 
wink.gif

I also have the Made In China version.

Good luck.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #170 of 398

They are definitely tougher the first time 'round, but once you do it, it's easier every other time, at least in my experience.

Most people who tried toothpicks had that problem.  You need something stiffer, probably metallic.  I used small wood nails with points that fit snugly in the grill holes, but long enough to grip comfortably.  Others have had success with thumbtacks.  Whatever you use, use two positioned near the outer edge, opposite each other.  And remember to turn counter-clockwise 
wink.gif

I also have the Made In China version.

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast response and the wish, I've tried with two wood nails and failed at it miserably. This is just absurd. I applied so much force the headphone cracked like it wants to break apart :D Tried 6 times, even my forearm got a pump but nothing. This is just mission impossible, I am luckless...

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #171 of 398
First time I tried it, with 2 pushpins, I couldn't get it either. I got a family member to help and with our 4 hands it worked. I then got the other side, easily, on my own. The little L-shaped bracket on the difficult side was just slightly bent and required more force.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #173 of 398
First time I tried it, with 2 pushpins, I couldn't get it either. I got a family member to help and with our 4 hands it worked. I then got the other side, easily, on my own. The little L-shaped bracket on the difficult side was just slightly bent and required more force.

Thanks so much for both of you for the inspiration, the last push gave it justice. I can't believe how tough it was though. I was pretty sure I was going to break the whole thing..

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #174 of 398
  Thanks so much for both of you for the inspiration, the last push gave it justice. I can't believe how tough it was though. I was pretty sure I was going to break the whole thing..

Glad to hear your perseverance paid off 
beerchug.gif

Now just be careful removing those stickers.  And remember that if you find the fully open mod too much, you can cover the ports with some spongy type foam, or tape with a small hole poked in the center, to effect a variation of the mod.

Have fun 
k701smile.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #175 of 398

Glad to hear your perseverance paid off 
beerchug.gif

Now just be careful removing those stickers.  And remember that if you find the fully open mod too much, you can cover the ports with some spongy type foam, or tape with a small hole poked in the center, to effect a variation of the mod.

Have fun 
k701smile.gif

Thanks again, removing them wasn't tricky, I didn't even unscrew the cover.
I'm through half an album and I'm constatntly smiling like a maniac. The efforts seem to paid off big time!
atsmile.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #176 of 398
Thanks again, removing them wasn't tricky, I didn't even unscrew the cover.
I'm through half an album and I'm constatntly smiling like a maniac. The efforts seem to paid off big time!
atsmile.gif

Smart.  It's a great mod, innit 
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #177 of 398
I''m a newbie. Can someone take me through this with pictures. If that is too hard, written directions might work if they are specific. Since it will void my warranty, I don't want to screw it up. Thanks

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #179 of 398
I''m a newbie. Can someone take me through this with pictures. If that is too hard, written directions might work if they are specific. Since it will void my warranty, I don't want to screw it up. Thanks

Check my sig for link to video walk-thru.

EDIT: it's for Q701 but should be the same.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #180 of 398
This video is GREAT ! I have hands the size of Bigfoot's and I was able to complete it without a hitch. Just be careful with the little screws. They are very small and there are open areas on these where they could slip through to the inner part of the driver if you don't have a good grip on them. I would use needle nose pliers or tweezers, yet I got them right back in with my thumbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back