Returning To Amazon?
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

iamloco724

100+ Head-Fier
im trying to find new headphones and theres no where for me to try on headphones or see how they sound especially with my schedule

so im ordering a few from amazon trying them out and keeping what i like or sending all back

has others done stuff like this?

i return a bit to amazon here and there i never really abuse it though..and i dont feel this is abusing since i do intend to buy i just dont know before hand what feels good or sounds good

anyone think this will lead to an issue for me?

so far ive ordered 5 and ive gotten 2 in def sending one back..one is a maybe the other 3 im waiting on are cheaper ones so might keep 1 and send 2 back

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 17
To me and this is my honest opinion, each for there own.

I do find it as abuse as someone is taking a hit.  For me it's fair to try out one or two and see which one you like, if none then try again at slow increment, but to buy a few while not even listen to it yet and know if you like it or not is some what abuse. Again, just my thought.  This is part of the reason why a lot of places changes their policy because they can't sell the product the same price as a new one.  To me, they are relax with there return policy as a show of an appreciation for there customers.  They don't have to do, but they are.  Just remember that if they one day do change their policy don't hate them for it. Sure your intention is to not abuse, but how would they know you are not one of those who abuse their policy?

You ask, I give my opinion.
redface.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 17
Well in the end I'm probably going to keep the cheap ones so there's really only 2 as of now that I got that I'm testing and either one will go back or both

I kno I said I would cheap ones back too but I probably won't bother so in the end I did what you said I got 2 but I might be returning both so in your moral opinion is it wrong to order another 2 to try in that case

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 17
But you have to remember, places earn your business by allowing a relaxed return policy.  I'd MUCH rather buy from Amazon.com knowing that I can return an item if I don't like it without an issue.  If they didn't allow for the returns so easily, I'd take my business elsewhere.  So clearly they do it to attract customers and if that means they take some financial hit because of returns, well that's the cost of doing business.  If they didn't take that hit, I sure wouldn't use them as much and I know a lot of people that feel the same way.  Sure, it's not exactly the greatest thing to do (ordering like 5 or 6 iems knowing you're going to return some), but that's the downside of ordering online and Amazon knows this.  It's clearly in their business model or they wouldn't allow it.  That's my take anyway.  :)

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 17
I've done this very recently but not on purpose. I actually bought three headphones I hated and returned them all week after week.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 17
I do think its abuse. Sometimes we get used to the sound after a few days or weeks, most of the time its like that. I could understand you buy two and return one, but there is no reason to buy more. Usually we read some reviews and later we pick what we think its best.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 17
You might want to google info on Amazon blacklists. They've banned users for life for doing things that dont seem excessive to me - others have gotten away with much more. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason, but I certainly wouldn't be using the service like this.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 17
dbdynsty said it best really. You won't get blacklisted unless you do this excessively. I'm assuming that means quite a bit more than choosing between 5 IEMs. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
dbdynsty said it best really. You won't get blacklisted unless you do this excessively. I'm assuming that means quite a bit more than choosing between 5 IEMs. 

I wouldn't assume this.  It seems you can do things like this every once in awhile if you're a regular user (ie. I spend maybe $5k per year on Amazon - I'd do this once a year, tops).

Just to be clear - I think nothing of doing things like this with Zappos and have done it often (ie. buy 2 of the same shoes in different sizes, return the one that doesn't fit), it truly is part of their business model to compete with brick and mortar stores since you can't try on in person.  Consequently they have decent margins, ie. you can almost always find the same shoes at other places at a significant discount.  Amazon OTOH, has razor thin margins.  Their great return policy and pricing, and things like Prime that take advantage of their bulk shipping strategy has made them what they are - but seriously, do the research on this, don't assume.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 17
As I said in reality I bought 5 pair but the most I'm returning is 2 but I might order another two until I'm satisfied.. I am a regular user and order almost every 2 weeks from them plus my whole household has prime memberships own 2 kindles I'm very loyal

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
As I said in reality I bought 5 pair but the most I'm returning is 2 but I might order another two until I'm satisfied.. I am a regular user and order almost every 2 weeks from them plus my whole household has prime memberships own 2 kindles I'm very loyal

Okay, then what's the point of creating this thread then?  

You can google this stuff and find accounts of people doing things (IMO) that weren't abusive and getting blacklisted.  Take it fwiw.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Why risk it?

Return policy is suppose to help customers, we should not taking it for granted as the right thing to do. 

While I'm not advocating for someone to buy tons of IEMs only to return them, I think its more than OK if you have done your initial research to buy a few of them and pick the ones you actually like. Honesty, do you just expect people to spend $100+ on something only to be kinda OK with them and then have to keep them? There are SOOO many variables when it comes to IEMs: especially fit and sound signature and the fact that most people don't have access to audition them. Also, I highly doubt there are people out there just buying 5+ IEMs all the time to only pick one since they still have to take the time and money to return them. 

Return policies also work to get people to buy a product in the first place. Heck, I just bought 2 IEMs thinking I was going to return one but I like both of them equally so I'm keeping both. If there wasn't a return policy option, I may not have bought any of them. Peace of mind is an added value that increases sales, that is why companies do it not because it warms the cackles of their heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back