Returned My Shure Srh840's Because the bass wasnt enough, Bought the Beyer Dynamic Dt 770 pro 250 ohms, and now I cant hear certain bass frequencies?
May 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kramerftw

New Head-Fier
So..as the title states, I returned my shure 840s, and now, while trying out my new beyer dynamic dt 770 pros, I cant hear a certain bassline in this song.. its like these headphones ignored the whole bassline? is it because they arent "burned in" or because of my weak amp ? (probably not enough to power 250 ohms)

they sound good except for this 1 problem.. I dont know how to describe it, but I could post the song that I cant hear the bassline.

at 1:31 the bassline in the background was rumbling on my shures and it was very loud, now with these headphones.. they ignore it?, im confused.. as I bought these headphones because they have more bass.. any1 have any ideas?

May 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Im sorry, but im new to this stuff and dont know the audofile terms and whatnot, but what frequency would you call that bassline at 1:31?

these headphones dont pick it up well, but the shures did.

btw, im currently using the xonar dgx for soundcard/amp, they powered the shures fine because shures are only about 44ohms if i can recall correctly.

Im buying the xonar stx sound card tommorow which should power these 250 ohm headphones well, but the question is.. will they make that bass show up at all?

May 5, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 10
This is quite common, actually. After I get used to how one song sounds on one pair of headphones, I immediately notice certain frequencies that aren't as pronounced or even missing when I switch to another pair.

First let it burn-in, and if that doesn't help (probably won't), you might just have to get used to it.

May 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, im definately going to give them time to burn in, and im getting a new sound card/amp.

I have 30 days to see if i like these b4 I can return them.. but I just think its weird that I couldnt pick that up.. very weird.. especially for close to $200 dollar headphones (alot for me hehe)

May 5, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 10
The frequency response of the DT770 Pro has a dip in the upper bass, and the bassline uses the range of 100 to 350 Hz. On the other hand, the same range is boosted on the Shures. You may get used to the different sound, use parametric EQ to fix the notch in the frequency response, or, if you do not need isolation, try the DT990 Pro instead, which costs the same, and you would probably find it to sound better.

May 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
it's like 60-70 Htz when that bassline hits.......and the sound quality of the video is ***** too

It also has harmonics up to about 300 Hz, which is probably what the OP is missing. Lossy compression mostly removes higher frequency information, and of course if it was only a problem with the video, the bassline would be "missing" on all headphones.

May 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 10
Well the DT770 Pro are very subbass focused while Shures are very midbass focused headphones, I guess that explains it. This beat uses the whole range, it's both midbass thump and subbass rumble. The Beyers probably provides the rumble but doesn't give a very "punchy" bass output which I disliked with the Beyer DT770 Pro/80 ohm I tested.

May 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
The frequency response of the DT770 Pro has a dip in the upper bass, and the bassline uses the range of 100 to 350 Hz. On the other hand, the same range is boosted on the Shures. You may get used to the different sound, use parametric EQ to fix the notch in the frequency response, or, if you do not need isolation, try the DT990 Pro instead, which costs the same, and you would probably find it to sound better.

Quote:
it's like 60-70 Htz when that bassline hits.......and the sound quality of the video is ***** too, so idk, find a better audio source for that song other than ****ty video on youtube.  prolly a stripped down ****ty mp3
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Wow Thanks, I didnt know I could actually fix that through a program, Im gonna try now..

and merlin, it may be low quality or something, but my old headphones picked up that bassline perfectly, and to me.. thats unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back