Return Unopened RS1s for GS1000s?
Jun 14, 2007 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
Price difference and gear aside.

One second I'm happy and want to keep the RS1s the next second my mind start going nuts wanting the GS1000. I cant make up my mind to save my life...

Please help!

EDIT: I could always buy both but if I go that route should I start off with the GS1000 then work on the RS1s next or the other way around? Sorry if that doesn't make sense. It does in my mind... I think.
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price difference and gear aside.

One second I'm happy and want to keep the RS1s the next second my mind start going nuts wanting the GS1000. I cant make up my mind to save my life...

Please help!

Relax!!! They are really two different sounds. Does the place have a return policy? If so, utilize it! Plug those babies in, break them in a bit, and have fun, they are great cans for sure.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 17
Muahaha recstar24 you made the mistake of putting your aim in your profile. Unleash the brain picking!
smily_headphones1.gif

This topic is meant lightly any light opinion bombs are much appreciated as always.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 17
What type of music do you listen to? If it is primarily rock I would keep the RS-1s. I owned GS-1000 #119 and sold them because they distorted at higher volumes and just didn't do it for me with rock.

Happy Listening!

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 17
How can you resist not opening the RS-1? If you like it I don't think you would like the GS1000 unless you want a different headphone with a different flavor. If you don't like it you can always return it or sell it and get the GS1000.

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 17
Thats my fear.. I will like it then I'll have to wait longer to try the GS1's.

I forgot to mention I don't have the RS1's 'yet'. I'll have them Friday afternoon though. I know if I haven't made up my mind whether to keep them or not by then I'll open them in a crazed frenzy right there in the front yard with my ipod queued up with some Eric Clapton then probably some old school Metallica
tongue.gif

So in case you missed it I often find myself listening to most all types of music but eventually leaning to rock/metal if I had to choose a genre.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 17
You're saying that you haven't even listened to the RS-1 yet? Oh man... just open the package and put them on.

I have not heard the GS-1000, so I can't compare, but the RS-1 blew me away and it still does. I love my other headphones, but the RS-1 gets more headtime than the others. It's the most fun headphone I've heard. You'll understand when you hear them. It also has the biggest "wow" factor for others listening to the rig.

Put them on and listen before you change your mind. I think you'll end up keeping them. You can always get a GS-1000 later.

rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of music do you listen to? If it is primarily rock I would keep the RS-1s. I owned GS-1000 #119 and sold them because they distorted at higher volumes and just didn't do it for me with rock.

Happy Listening!

I agree with you about the GS and rock but this is the first I've heard of the GS1k distorting at all. What kind of distortion did you hear? I can tell you I've taken mine to the point of severe pain, and that's with 7dB of bass boost and it didn't distort. It's undetaken probably the biggest driver displacement of any headphone I've ever had. It got to the point that I thought the driver was going to bust out and hit me in the side of the head before I turned it down...but it never distorted.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, right?

You don't open and go for the GS1000. Your mind works overtime, thinking: "This sounds good. I wonder what those RS1s sound like?"

Or you go ahead and open the RS1 up. Your mind works overtime, thinking: "This sounds good. I wonder what the GS1000 sound like?"

Basically they're both great cans and they both sound different from each other. You'll somehow need to hear them both for you to decide and keep your mind from working overtime.
icon10.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you about the GS and rock but this is the first I've heard of the GS1k distorting at all. What kind of distortion did you hear? I can tell you I've taken mine to the point of severe pain, and that's with 7dB of bass boost and it didn't distort. It's undetaken probably the biggest driver displacement of any headphone I've ever had. It got to the point that I thought the driver was going to bust out and hit me in the side of the head before I turned it down...but it never distorted.

Maybe the pair I had was defective but music started to sound distorted in Single Power amps at around 1:00 and up. I took my GS1ks to Single Power and tried them with a few amps on his bench and it did it with all of them--from PPX3 to MPX3 to Supras. Mikhail said it was caused by that 'smile'-shaped frequency curve. I suppose they could have been defective, however, at lower volume levels there was no distortion at all. I addition, the person I sold them to didn't mention any issues so who knows?

Happy Listening!

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the pair I had was defective but music started to sound distorted in Single Power amps at around 1:00 and up. I took my GS1ks to Single Power and tried them with a few amps on his bench and it did it with all of them--from PPX3 to MPX3 to Supras. Mikhail said it was caused by that 'smile'-shaped frequency curve. I suppose they could have been defective, however, at lower volume levels there was no distortion at all. I addition, the person I sold them to didn't mention any issues so who knows?

Happy Listening!

That's interesting. I'm running mine out of a balanced M3 (see sig) which could melt the GS1k with a twitch of the wrist...maybe it was a hair in the driver? Unless you listen to your headphones at deafening volumes (literally) I cannot imagine how a non-faulty GS could distort. I've been testing mine some more throughout this thread but I'm afraid of doing serious damage to my hearing if I turn the volume up any more (bear in mind I'm a huge basshead...), and still not even a tiny bit of distortion
confused.gif
A mystery left for posterity I suppose
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for the responses guys. I do think I'll end up keeping the RS1s and start preparing myself for surgery when I finally decide to sell my left kidney so I can afford both the RS1's and GS1k's.

Anyways, does anyone know if the ECSS pairs well w/ the RS1s? I have heard solid state handles better for Grado than do tubes but opinions opinions. Perhaps I'll try the ECSS and a DV 336i down the road or possibly higher such as the Zana Deux.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 17
frown.gif

Just for a little bit more, you will get a lot more than bit detailed, but heavy colored SR225 sound in wood only
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses guys. I do think I'll end up keeping the RS1s and start preparing myself for surgery when I finally decide to sell my left kidney so I can afford both the RS1's and GS1k's.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Just for a little bit more, you will get a lot more than bit detailed, but heavy colored SR225 sound in wood only
cool.gif

Well considering I've never even heard a pair of Grado's aside from through other head-fi users ears I already know I'll love em.

Up until my recent high end headphone purchases the best I'd ever heard was cheap $50 IEMs or possibly bose trihards... My HD650's are possibly the best detailed sound I've ever heard thus far and thats unamped over the front panel of my Xfi. Arguably the e500's sound better but they are apples and oranges. Hard to say one is better when they aren't the same similar design.

As for liking Grado right now my ears are virgins when it comes to good sound. I do know the difference between my MDR-v300's vs my HD650's but when its up into the highest ends of quality it should sound prefect to my ears. I've yet to develop a preference. Sorry for running on and on.

PS: I think I've decided to sell my right kidney instead of my left. It has more sentimental value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back