Return Ultra Desktop for Balanced Desktop For My 650's?
Mar 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

northfaceseen

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I need some help deciding which amp to settle with. I have purchased the Ultra Desktop Amp and I am using this with the HD650's. My question is would I see any improvements by going with the Balanced Desktop Amp over the Ultra Desktop Amp with my 650's (I do realize that the electronics are lesser quality in the balanced but heh it's balanced)? For the time being I will use the factory SE or balanced cables. I just want to make a decision on an amp, cables is a whole different post! Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 17
Well, my post is basically worthless as I have heard neither the Max Desktop nor the Balanced, but if I could only have one, it would have to be the Max Desktop... ... ...or the Balanced... hmmmm.
Kevin

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 17
i also agree. if you already got it, keep it. i got the ultra micro stack, and i just can't imagine how good is the ultra desktop with the better connections and other stuff,but probably amazing sounding.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 17
I had the Ultra Desktop Amp, but am making the move to balanced... I felt that there was a discernable difference in sound. Then again, if you don't have the funds it might be a better idea to stick with SE for now.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 17
I did this comparison (sort of) with the original prototype Desktop Balanced and my 'convertible' (which was once a prototype Desktop Portable).

web.jpg

In the end I found it to be a matter of taste. There were positives to both. Obviously with the same level of electronics in both, the Balanced would be better, but with better electronics in the single ended version, it's a very tough call.

Overall I find it to be a cross-grade - a slightly different blend of strengths and weaknesses.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 17
northfaceseen do you have or will have a balance source? If you plan on going to a balance amp you would need a balanced source to get the most out of it. Also your headphones must be wired for balanced to finish the application.

All of this will come at a high price, so I would either go all the way or stay w/ the ultra micro which sounds superb.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 17
I agree with TheSloth: "Obviously with the same level of electronics in both, the Balanced would be better, but with better electronics in the single ended version, it's a very tough call. Overall I find it to be a cross-grade - a slightly different blend of strengths and weaknesses."

I was planning to sell off the Maxed Desktop after the Balanced arrived, but I've kept them both because they have different strengths. If I could have only one, though, I'd go with the Maxed Desktop. It's much more versatile for my needs. And, as TheSloth says, the electronics are better. In the end, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.
rig05apr09.jpg

May 14, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 17
Are the electronics of the new Ultra DAC the same as the DAC portion of the Ultra Desktop (the AMP+ DAC one, not balanced)? Of course given that the Ultra DAC has circuitry for balanced and the Ultra Desktop does not.

Was considering simplifying one/both of my setups, and as of yet, I am not sure I want to double the price for balanced. Although either would need the better PS probably.

May 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 17
OP: My take on this is that once you reach a certain level of attaining a superb amp as you have, any 'upgrade' is probably more of a side-step. My lowly micro stack does a fine job of driving my HD600 and gives me hours of pleasurable listening. I can only imagine what your current set up can do.

Keep what you have. Unless I'm totally in left field, there is a point of diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back