Return the Sennheiser CX300's for the Creative EP-630's?
May 23, 2006 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TerminallyOdd

New Head-Fier
I just got an e-mail saying J&R has the Creative EP-630's in stock for $30. Now, I've been very pleased with the CX300's which I bought from there for $60, but I'm not too crazy about the J-design, so that change would be welcome. The straight plug? Not so much, but I'll manage...but more importantly, I don't really care to take a hit in sound quality either. Are they close enough as to where a relative non-audiophile like myself using them with a Creative Zen Vision: M wouldn't really notice?

Thanks.

May 23, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 5
If you've seen some of the recent threads on this issue, you'd notice that some people who have heard both swear that they sound virtually the same, and others claim that the Senns have the edge. I only have one of the earphones in question, but speaking as someone who knows a bit about product design and branding practices, I would be very surprised to find that there really is any difference. Why would Sennheiser spend money engineering a superior IEM, and then use the same housing as a cheaper model marketed to a different audience by a different company? It's absurd.

It's far more likely that a company or consortium planning to sell an item at different price points would cosmetically change the housing and leave the guts alone than that they would reengineer the electronics and stick with a housing visually recognizable as belonging to a cheaper brand. And until one of the three companies selling these headphones comes clean, we won't know for sure which of them commissioned the design and which licensed it. I'd guess that only Sennheiser has a serious in-house headphone design team, but I'm sure that there are now product design firms that handle headphones for several companies. And sometimes even high-end companies like Sennheiser will rebadge someone else's model to fill a gap in their product line-- does anyone remember when high-midscale Honda sold downscale Isuzu Rodeos as Honda Passports for thousands of dollars more money? Have you heard of the Saab 9-2x, aka the Saabaru? We could make the same comparison with toasters, or wristwatches, or anything else you cared to name.

So what I'm saying is that you might as well trade in for the creatives. There may, however, be a real difference in the sound between any two pairs, but I'd bet that this would be more attributable to different batches from the factory in China than to real design differences apart from the J to Y cord. I'm guessing a large batch was messed up, or there wouldn't be shortages of ep-630's at distributors at the same time as a huge number of OEM ep-630's with CX300-style J-cords showed up on ebay. Duh.

But maybe Sennheiser did detune the CX300 when Creative and Sharp asked to sell a rebadged version. Hey, that's what Etymotic claimed they did for Altec Lansing, right? But if we really believed that, then why are we all racing to buy im-716's?

May 23, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 5
EP630 is pretty expensive in your country. it cost only S$39 is singapore

May 23, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm happy with my EP 630's (the symmetrical "Y" cord has been a nice change from "J" cords). They fit a niche in my portable listening (better sound but not as comfortable as my Sony's in roughly the same canal phone category ... but the Creatives do isolate a little better, not that canal phones isolate to an extensive degree).

If I remember correctly, the Sharp version was marketed first -- if that means anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back