Return Policy with Shure
Jul 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

robenco18

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm going to be buying the Shure SE530's from a place on Amazon.com called Sarjo Distributors. My question comes in Shure's return policy.

If I buy these earbuds from this place, do you know if Shure would be able to repair anything that might happen to them if something were to happen to them 8 months or so down the road? Shure earbuds seem to have a habit of their chords acting up or an earbud going in and out.

The reason I'm buying from Sarjo Distributors is that it is very cheap, 305 dollars cheap. When I asked them if there were any warranty to with these headphones he said, "just be gentle with them and I got your back covered."

Never got that response before. The feedback on amazon.com about this seller is great and all, it's just the warranty I'm sketchy about.

Any and all help is appreciated.

p.s. I did e-mail Shure, I just figured I'd get a pretty accurate and much quicker response from this forum than from them with tomorrow being a holiday and all.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 14
Well I'm not going to be more accurate than asking Shure but my understanding is that they require you to purchase from an authorized dealer in order to covered by their standard 2-year warranty. An unauthorized dealer may choose to 'cover' you, and some do an honest job of it, but you will be totally at their discretion and mercy to do so.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm not going to be more accurate than asking Shure but my understanding is that they require you to purchase from an authorized dealer in order to covered by their standard 2-year warranty. An unauthorized dealer may choose to 'cover' you, and some do an honest job of it, but you will be totally at their discretion and mercy to do so.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I think I might of found the answer at their website as well. How do I know if it is an authorized seller? Amazon.com has them for 399 dollars. Does that mean they are authorized because it isn't at a cheap price?

This Sarjo Distributors feels shady but I mean, it has great feedback and people on this forum from what I can tell seem to have no problem with it. And the guy did keep reassuring me that he can cover me (i asked about it twice really). But I mean I like to think everybody is an honest person, etc.

Is it practically a guaranteed that I will eventually have problems with these earbuds?

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 14
I think somewhere deep deep deep in the E500 cracked cable thread, it was stated that Shure would even cover warranty on eBay purchases provided the earphones were new and sealed at the time of purchase. I think they know that loads of people buy them from eBay and were worried their warranties wouldn't be covered. You have to have a receipt too, but the print out from Paypal is fine.

If you have 72 hours to spare
biggrin.gif
- you can check through the thread yourself, except of course, it might be in one of the other various E500 threads! I'm almost positive they won't cover warranty on used phones, but so long as you have the invoice/receipt for a NEW pair of E500/SE530s there shouldn't be any problem.

EDIT: I mentioned eBay, but buying from a marketplace seller shouldn't be any different so long as you're buying them new and sealed.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think somewhere deep deep deep in the E500 cracked cable thread, it was stated that Shure would even cover warranty on eBay purchases provided the earphones were new and sealed at the time of purchase. I think they know that loads of people buy them from eBay and were worried their warranties wouldn't be covered. You have to have a receipt too, but the print out from Paypal is fine.

If you have 72 hours to spare
biggrin.gif
- you can check through the thread yourself, except of course, it might be in one of the other various E500 threads! I'm almost positive they won't cover warranty on used phones, but so long as you have the invoice/receipt for a NEW pair of E500/SE530s there shouldn't be any problem.

EDIT: I mentioned eBay, but buying from a marketplace seller shouldn't be any different so long as you're buying them new and sealed.

So do you guys feel that I'll be safe in buying these from this distributor? I'm told they will be coming brand new and sealed so by the above logic Shure will cover them. As well as the distributor himself said he had me covered, it's just that obviously I'd feel more comfortable with a respected company than some distributor's word who is selling 500 dollar earbuds at 300 dollars.

I'd just feel so dumb spending that much money on a product that seems prone to break and then not be covered by any warranty. I mean what if in 8 months the left bud goes out and I can't get it fixed or anything. That 305 dollars was good for 8 months. I'm not saying I'm not careful with them but sleeping with them on who knows what could happen and then just normal wear and tear.

Am I just freaking out a little? Or do I have some decent motives? I really just want to own these. I dreamt about them last night haha. For 400 dollars I could get them from electronica direct and that is a shure authorized dealer I believe. But that's way to much, even for me. My family is having a hard enough time understanding buying earbuds for 305 dollars haha.

Opinions? Advice? Prayers? All welcome. Thanks!

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 14
SE530 is notorious for cracking cable, and many cases happen in one year or less (I have seen my friend's SE530 cracks twice in 1 yr, under good care). In concern of warranty claim, I think paying a bit more just so you know your SE530 will be covered is much more important. My $0.02.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 is notorious for cracking cable, and many cases happen in one year or less (I have seen my friend's SE530 cracks twice in 1 yr, under good care). In concern of warranty claim, I think paying a bit more just so you know your SE530 will be covered is much more important. My $0.02.

Yeah I hear ya about paying a little bit more. I'm still thinking about that. But I did come across this interesting Seller's Feedback comment from the distributor I'll be getting them from.

"I was skeptical. But I got the SE530s in 2 days, shipped x-country by Priority Mail. And they're the real thing. Earphone Solutions says Shure bought from AMZN affiliates won’t get a mfr’s warranty--but Shure tells me if the receipt says Amazon, it’s warrantable, whether from an affiliate or not..."

That kinda relieves me. That comment was from 4/25/08 so I doubt much has changed since then. I guess I have to hope Shure e-mails me back with a response similar to the one stated above!

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Hi,

I've had several experiences with the Shure E500 and now SE530.

Went like this: my wife managed to buy a pair for my birthday just a week or so after they first came out. I really liked them, but as other readers point out, the cable tends to give way. So it was for me. After about one year I had that problem. I sent them into Shure with only the form Shure asks you to fill out on their website. One week later I had a brand-new pair (and another pth device, which I gave away to another headfier).

So far so good. Then a couple months ago, the cable on *these* gave out. So I sent them back with the website form. This time I heard nothing. So finally I called Shure. It seems they lost them. But I was able to fax the UPS delivery confirmation to them. Then they wanted $140 to replace them in lieu of a receipt. They were a gift, I explained. Don't have a receipt. I also explained that since the e500's hadn't been on the market for two years, not yet, wouldn't they be automatically covered?

The rep said no, they'd been on the market for four years, not two. I knew that was wrong, but what was the sense of arguing. So I asked my wife and it turned out she *did* have a receipt. From Amazon. I printed that out, then called Shure again to find out their fax number and to make sure the rep knew the receipt was coming. When I got her on the line, she told me my replacement headphones (SE 530s this time) were due to arrive via UPS that very day.

Hunh?

I didn't keep her on the line, but I'm guessing she found out I was right about the two year release and just decided to send them. So I didn't get a chance to fax in the Amazon receipt, but I believe it would have been okay.

Hope there's some useful information in there for you:wink:

Andy

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I've had several experiences with the Shure E500 and now SE530.

Went like this: my wife managed to buy a pair for my birthday just a week or so after they first came out. I really liked them, but as other readers point out, the cable tends to give way. So it was for me. After about one year I had that problem. I sent them into Shure with only the form Shure asks you to fill out on their website. One week later I had a brand-new pair (and another pth device, which I gave away to another headfier).

So far so good. Then a couple months ago, the cable on *these* gave out. So I sent them back with the website form. This time I heard nothing. So finally I called Shure. It seems they lost them. But I was able to fax the UPS delivery confirmation to them. Then they wanted $140 to replace them in lieu of a receipt. They were a gift, I explained. Don't have a receipt. I also explained that since the e500's hadn't been on the market for two years, not yet, wouldn't they be automatically covered?

The rep said no, they'd been on the market for four years, not two. I knew that was wrong, but what was the sense of arguing. So I asked my wife and it turned out she *did* have a receipt. From Amazon. I printed that out, then called Shure again to find out their fax number and to make sure the rep knew the receipt was coming. When I got her on the line, she told me my replacement headphones (SE 530s this time) were due to arrive via UPS that very day.

Hunh?

I didn't keep her on the line, but I'm guessing she found out I was right about the two year release and just decided to send them. So I didn't get a chance to fax in the Amazon receipt, but I believe it would have been okay.

Hope there's some useful information in there for you:wink:

Andy

Sounds like Shure's Customer service is amazing. Just as long as you have a receipt. I e-mailed them my question, but I have a feeling that no matter what they say your story and others I've heard are proof enough that they are more than willing to accommodate their customers. They might just have to say "only from authorized dealers" but I have a feeling if you have a receipt, bought them new, and fill out the proper forms etc. they will replace them for you. You helped a ton. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Any further information about buying from Sarjo? I have a situation where my SE530 were chewed a little by my dog and now they have some cable damage and the left channel cuts in and out.

I am stuck with my Triple.fi 10 and life sucks.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like Shure's Customer service is amazing. Just as long as you have a receipt.

It is amazing. My experience is that they will replace your IEMs with new ones as long as the claim is within 2 years of the manufacture date, which is printed on the plug -- or, within 2 years of purchase, if you have the receipt. Over the years I have sent in 3 warranty claims to Shure -- 2 for E2Cs and 1 for E500s (cable cracked). In all three cases, I did not send a receipt and in all three cases Shure replaced the IEMs with new ones, sealed in retail packaging. In fact, my E500s were older than 2 years, but because they suffered the cable cracking issue, Shure replaced them anyway.

Also, Shure changed the formulation of the SE530 cables more about a year and a half ago. It looks like the newer cables do not stiffen like the old ones do, so it is likely the cable cracking issue has been resolved.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 14
I have a pair of 530s I bought off Ebay in late May. The cables are not stiff. They're heavier than the braided cables on the Westones but they're not stiff at all.

On an unrelated note, I'm glad to hear that Shure's customer service is still first rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back