Retina MacBook Pro vs. Mac Pro?
Aug 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

jeremy205100

100+ Head-Fier
So I think this would be the best forum to post this in. I apologize in advance for the long read... and yes this would be better on a Mac site but I'm not wasting the time to join one for one thread, especially when plenty of people here are just as knowledgeable with computers.

So I'm heading to college in two weeks and I currently have a late 2008 MacBook Pro. The original unibody. It has an upgraded hard drive and RAM. I had to replace the hard drive last week because everything got corrupted when I restarted it due to a crash (it crashes like once a month, usually no big deal). After the recovery partition wouldn't boot, I replaced the hardrive and restored from backup and after a few hours in disk utility just trying every option I somehow got it to repair when it originally said it wouldn't. But this scared me, because I was planning on getting a top of the line Retina MacBook Pro next year when they update to broadwell. If this had happened with that laptop once it was out of warranty, I would've been out $600 for an SSD. I'm very concerned with the reliability of the rMBP because it has no user replaceable parts except the SSD card which is mad expensive.

So today I was toying around with getting a Mac Pro instead with a 512 SSD. I'd really like 1 TB but it's upgradeable in the future and I have tons of external space. Do you think I'd be crazy getting a desktop for college? It seems like it'd last me much longer and is more bang for the buck.

The laptop I have now is fine (this has been the best computer I've yet to own, I've had it for almost 6 years, but it's showing it's age), minus the battery which only lasts for an hour. The batteries degrade too quickly for me to consider getting another one. I can just plug it in in class if I need it.

I guess what I'm asking is if you guys think it'd be better to wait until the next rMBP revision and just go for it for portability's sake and pray it doesn't break down the road or to get the Mac Pro now and enjoy the longer lasting computer? This one will run Yosemite fine but it's time to replace it. My budget is around $2,800-$3,200. I've seen people on here with both computers so I would greatly appreciate them chiming in.

I use photoshop, have a 11,000 song iTunes, and expect a computer to last 5 years at the minimum. Advice?

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 70
If you've got a $3,200 maximum budget the Mac Pro isn't the right option. If you have a monitor already you could fit that into your budget but you didn't mention that you do any work that requires a machine like that. A Mac Mini or iMac make more sense for a desktop computer for most school related work, setting up bootcamp on it for Windows may also be a good option. I went with a Mac Pro because I do video and photo work from time to time, as well as starting to get into 3D CAD for engineering. 

The ideal school setup is a desktop and a laptop or iPad. Something like an iMac or Mac Mini with a large screen then a 13" Retina MacBook Pro or iPad for the road.

For reference the way I setup my Mac Pro and Monitors it's a $7000 purchase.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 70
I already have a ViewSonic 23" 1080p LED IPS monitor that I'd use with it. I have a Logitech wireless mouse and the Magic Trackpad. None of that would be in the $3,200. My needs aren't excessive, I just want a computer that's going to last. 

I think I'm going to wait and see when they upgrade the Mac Pro and the rMBP and then make my choice. Luckily I have time. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 70
I just want a computer that's going to last. 

And yet that's often not the best way to buy. Computers are like audio equipment. There are diminishing returns as you go up in price. They also become outdated pretty quickly. I'm of the opinion that the best value is often in the lower end to middle range models and then upgrade more frequently.

That being said, unless your major will have very demanding software that you have to buy and use, a $500-$600 Intel core i5 PC laptop will more than do the job for everything you need for college. Microsoft Office and a web browser do not require much. Anything more than that is just luxury.

So if you want to know what you should buy, you should first talk about what you are buying it for. Are you going to be a film major? Graphic design major? An engineer using AutoCAD type software? Those types of major can benefit from higher end equipment. But most others it won't matter. And those majors using that kind of software have slightly different needs that might affect your choice.

Also, I guess you are not interested in computer gaming?

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 70
Macs are not value for money.

Buy a windows based system.

(yes, I opened that can of worms)

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 70
  Macs are not value for money.

Buy a windows based system.

(yes, I opened that can of worms)

Any computer isn't value for money unless you can't do your work without one. 

A Mac computer is much a Windows based system as any other computer.

The only way a non-Mac system is cheaper than a Mac machine is if you make it yourself and/or go with much lower price components.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 70
I currently have a Late 2008 15" Unibody MacBook Pro. I spent $2700 on this thing when I got it, with an education discount and it's lasted me 6 years (in October). I like Max OS X and am definitely getting another Mac. I use Photoshop, and probably wouldn't be interested in gaming because I have an Xbox. My major likely won't need anything excessive besides word. That being said, I have $3,000 set to spend on a computer and could imagine being able to keep a Mac Pro for 6-8 years. Computers are lasting longer and longer. Apple hasn't changed the system requirements for the OS for the last three versions. 

I'm going to wait for either the next update of the rMBP or the next update of the Mac Pro. Until then, I will use this laptop in college and see if I feel I need a laptop or can get away with a desktop.

From a hardware perspective, how does the quad core Xeon that's in the base Mac Pro compare to the 2.5 GHz i7 that's in the upper level MacBook Pro? I'm also pretty sure that even the standard dual AMD D300 graphics cards in the Mac Pro will slaughter the NVidia ones that are used in the MBP. It'd be nice having the option to game if I wanted to, although it's definitely not a priority. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 70
The iMac is too big. With the Mac Pro I could leave the display and just bring the tower back and forth in a backpack. So it's really either that or the MBP. 

It's not the computing power I'm concerned about, because the 15" has more than enough. But the 15" is around $2700 with 1TB of flash and I'd want it to last at least 5 years for that price, and I don't think it will. I haven't owned a desktop before but I was under the impression they have more reliable parts and don't break as easily. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 70
FWIW, I just upgraded from a mid 2010 MBP to a 2013 Retina MBP.  The 2010 vintage was great but encountered an unfortunate accident.

But wait, did I say it was great?  The 2013 Retina MBP is just nicer in every possible way.  Getting the bigger internal SSD just makes this machine
a pleasure to use.  And probably since this machine has 8 GB RAM compared to my previous MBP with 4 GB, all of my music players work more smoothly
and operate with fewer snags.  With your budget you could get a very nicely performing bundle in this model.  

Certainly the Mac Pro is cool, but I tend to agree it may not be the best use of your money unless your requirements include graphics, movie production, CAD etc.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 70
Any issues with the rMBP? The screen is beautiful. I'm really hoping the SSD prices come down with the next revision (for both computers) because a 1TB SSD is a $500 add-on which is ludicrous when you consider that a 1 TB 2.5" 7200rpm hard drive is $70 on Amazon. I need space and I currently have a 7200rpm hard drive with no speed complaints. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing?

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 70
You're not going to want to carry around a $3000 desktop computer.

Honestly for your use you'd be better spent buying a $1500 laptop more often. If you're dead set on it get a MBP blow your budget on it.

An iMac is still your best value, but if you can't live without portability then a laptop is your only option.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 70
Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing?

You don't know what you are missing. You could upgrade the SSD on your current computer, and it would feel like a very significant upgrade.

However, with a desktop, just get a smaller 250GB SSD for the OS, and then a separate 1TB mechanical hard drive for your media files and such. The speed benefit really comes from having your OS and programs on the SSD.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 70
I'm going to use this for the first semester, that way I'll know if portability is important or not. If it isn't, I'll have more options. If it is, I'll be getting the MBP. Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm surprised no one said to get a $500 Dell and buy $2000 headphones haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back