Reterminating stock cable Sennheiser
Nov 2, 2003 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vrom

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I have reterminated my stock cable for Sennheiser 600 with quarter inch neutrik jack and cut it down to two meters. Now the sound has audibly improved. Slightly better dynamics and a bit more detail. Certainly worthwile. Since the Cardas replacement takes away much of the laid back character of the headphones I prefer this solution over an aftermarket cable. It is certainly cost effective! (core of the cable has a very thin solution covering it. It needs to be burnt off with a lighter first before soldering). So much for the replacements....

Nov 2, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 8
Thats great. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
biggrin.gif

How about a picture?

Nov 2, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by vrom
core of the cable has a very thin solution covering it. It needs to be burnt off with a lighter first before soldering

You couldn't strip the coating off with a wire stripper?

Nov 2, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Coating is a flimsy solution that looks and feels like paint. It can easily be burned off and but not stripped off... Clean the wire before soldering. The remains of coating and fingerprints would make it a less then optimal soldering.

Nov 2, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 8
In my experience it's possible to strip lacquered wire (going very slowly and gradually with a sharp x-acto knife) but burning off might be the better option. I seem to recall trying to burn lacquer off very thin wires before, and ending up making the wire brittle or fragile by doing this -- or just having a problem properly removing the carbonized layer of lacquer from the wire. So it might be worth trying to gradually scrape it off with a razor blade or very sharp x-acto knife as well.

Nov 2, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 8
The soldering itself burns the lacquer off -- no need to worry about removing it.

peacesign.gif

Nov 3, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Soldering burns the lacquer off... yes but it depends on the wattage and temperature off your soldering iron. Soldering irons for fine electronical work may not get hot enough to burn off the lacquer. So a lighter is probably a better means to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back