Reterminating DT880
Jun 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

royalcrown

500+ Head-Fier
My friend recently dropped my laptop with my headphones plugged in, and the jack on my DT880's snapped. I posted in the cable section about recabling services, but it looks like recabling the DT880 involves boutique cables and/or balanced, and cost as much as the headphones themselves. Since only the jack is damaged, is reterminating something that can be easily done? I have enough soldering experience to buy a new jack and solder them on, but a full recable looks like too much for me to handle. Is a straight retermination to 3.5mm possible? I would just use a bog standard Neutrik/Switchcraft plug, but I'm not sure if the cables are enameled, or if there are any other barriers to a simple retermination.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Sure, you can just reterminate using a Neutrik / Switchcraft plug (I'd actually recommend the Switchcraft 35HDBAU 3.5mm gold plug, it's a well built connector. I've done more Beyer recables than I can count, but for some reason I can't recall if the stock wire is enameled or not. If it is, you just have to allow the solder to melt through it using a hotter setting on the iron.

Make sure to use a bit of heatshrink at the base of the connector, it will act as strain relief. Use 1/4" for inside the connector, or use 3:1 ratio 1/2" for the outside.

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 4
Sure! I can also recommend the 3.5mm plugs from eBay seller Vintage_Audio_Labs. They come with a nice strain relief (though with the stock DT880 cable you might want to use some heatshrink to fill it up a little).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back