Reterminate 6.3mm to 4 pin XLR
Mar 12, 2014 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I currently have a Toxic Cables Viper cable for a pair of Sennheiser HD650's. I have just bought a Centrance HiFi M8 with XLR connection and wanted to reterminate my cable to use the XLR out.

I have never attempted to build or reterminate a cable in the past and wondered if this was a fairly simple job. I have modified Grado's in the past including unsoldering and resoldering driver connections so have no problems with using a soldering Iron.

How would I go about reterminating this cable to the XLR.....Can anyone offer advice or point me in the direction of any good instructions / videos??

Jason

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 4
It's very straight forward. You'll unscrew the 1/4 connector, and wire up the XLR.
4-pin XLR pinout is 
Pin 1 : Left +
Pin 2 : Left -
Pin 3 : Right +
Pin 4 : Right -

You'll want to use a multimeter to determine which ground is which (they're connected on the 1/4" connector - just test resistance between the Left / Right signal, and wire them to Left / Right - accordingly.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for that mate....shouldnt be too bad, although you lost me a bit when you started talking about multimeter's as Ive never used one of these before.

Is it the the left / right wires that I am testing for resistance? I assume I do this once I have unsoldered them from the 1/4" connector? What should they read as on the multimeter and what should I have the multimeter set to?

As you can see I am a complete newbie to this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back