Results of my A/B Comparison of Sennheiser HD598 vs HD600 using Shiit Modi DAC and Vali AMP
Apr 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #31 of 49
I thought so too...until I got my Uber Bifrost.

That's also 4 1/2 times the cost of the Modi. LOL

agree but wouldn't the main area for improvement be in the power supply , and analog stage, ?
dacs with the same digital chips can, and often to, sound different
there are very audible differences in the modi and the bifrost, and bifrost and the bifrost uber(though sound difference is not as much here)

I don't know. I have the ODAC, which by all testing measurements, is already at the point where inaccuracy/distortion of the device is perhaps inaudible. In getting to the ODAC from the various devices I upgraded from, the differences became much less significant as I went up in price, but going from any onboard audio to the ODAC was a huge gain, which is the kind of improvement Pianist is looking for.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #32 of 49
Pianist, I just realized you have the Sierra-1s in your signature. Cool. That, or the Sierra-2, are my next upgrade for my desktop setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea, Sierra (Ascend Technologies) has great reputation. I have the Sierra-1 NRT Upgrade .... very good sound. I have not demoed many other speakers so going by all the great feedback those get. I know that Sierra-1 won many awards in the community ... don't know if Sierra-2 is a much better speaker.  Either way, keep in mind they are pretty large bookshelves. I actually use them as my front speakers for home theater. May be an overkill for small desktop, you know what I mean?

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #33 of 49
Yea, Sierra (Ascend Technologies) has great reputation. I have the Sierra-1 NRT Upgrade .... very good sound. I have not demoed many other speakers so going by all the great feedback those get. I know that Sierra-1 won many awards in the community ... don't know if Sierra-2 is a much better speaker.  Either way, keep in mind they are pretty large bookshelves. I actually use them as my front speakers for home theater. May be an overkill for small desktop, you know what I mean?

Nah. It won't be overkill. I have the Ascend CBM-170 SEs on my desktop right now (see my sig). The Sierras are slightly smaller :)

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #34 of 49
Without being able to directly compare any pairing with your current setup will yield a guess as to whether or not your ears hear a difference let alone improvement.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #35 of 49
So if my current system consists of   HD600 - Modi - Vali .......... what;'s the next big upgrade>>?  Diff cable? better amp>?

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #42 of 49
Pianist,
There are plenty of threads and reviews about all kinds of HPs on this forum. Select your desired sound and read up because it's s wealth of information. Then we can talk

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #44 of 49
I think I am good. Love the sound ... time to stop spending too much time here and enjoy the music :)
thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back