Response to Audiocritic.com's 'Lies' article?
Jul 3, 2006 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mbd

100+ Head-Fier
As you can tell from my current post-count, I'm not the most seasoned member on here, and I really don't mean this as a troll post - honest...

I've owned some ER-4Ps for a few years, and a pair of Grado SR-80s for a couple of years. In the past week, I've bought a second hand pair of HF-1s and a Perreaux SXH2 headphone Amp to chase the dragon a little more (but it will stop there, right?).

So, I've been doing research into the whole audiophile world to learn more about it.

One of the obvious places to visit for learning about anything is Wikipedia as it tends to try pretty hard to give a fair explanation of the topics within. So, when I searched for 'audiophile' I can across a link at the bottom of the page pointing to Audio Critic's Ten Biggest Lies in Audio article.

I'm curious what the response to this article is from the head-fi community, given that some of the points outlined in the article seem to quite firmly oppose what is posted regularly here. (particularly the cable 'lie' and the 'burn in' lie).

My personal opinion is that if you hear a difference and you like one thing better than another, it doesn't matter if it shows up a graph, or if it's a placebo, so long as you're happy with what you are hearing, whether based on perception or reality...

But, does the article have some truth? Does a coat hanger work as well as anything else when it comes to cables? Do electronics really not need burn in?

Jul 3, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 26
That articles been brought up a few times here before. I think it's a load of crap really, and is just trying to get the author some attention from audio fans, just like John Dvorak and Mac fans.

Jul 3, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 26
Agree with 1,4,6,7,8,9,10

2 is false, and shows that the writer has no clue what he's talkign about.. 2nd harmonic distortion and clipping characteristics anyone?

3 is sometimes false.. the absolutely abysmal DACs on digital make it sound like most digital sources are piss-poor but im sure the author has never heard a real dac other than his cd player at home
rolleyes.gif

#5.. sometimes true, open loop systems exhibit higher bandwiths and "sound" better. I like negative feedback, but open loop has its benefits, author shows ignorance again.. things like TIM make it so that its possible for open loop to be better

So basically, writer hates audiophiles, lacks understanding of electronics and read up on some articles of critics.. boo hoo?

Jul 3, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 26
Hornet's nest, meet Mr. Stick.

This article has shown up here a few times before, and all of these matters are *very* contentious. For instance, you might notice that the Cables, etc. Forum here is "DBT free." DBT is double-blind testing, the same as what the author refers to as "ABX."

For what it's worth, I agree with him on most of his points, especially the cables. I have the July issue of Stereophile here on the coffee table. I just flipped through the ads, and not one of the cable ads makes any claims about the product. They're all just nice photos of the products and sometimes have a quote from a reviewer. No provable claims are made, and I'm sure you can figure out why.

However, I think he misses the point with tubes. Sure, solid state might have lesser distortion, but what about those who don't mind a little distortion? Tubes sound nice, even if not perfectly accurate. Also, tube amps are electrically simple enough for us English Majors to understand and build if we want to. A little off topic, perhaps, but tubes are the best way to build, learn and repair.

Jul 3, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 26
Here is the most recent thread on the subject [locked of course]

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186208

The subject always tends to get heated somewhere along the line, which is a
shame because many interesting points often come up.

I guess the best approach to all these things his to keep a skeptical hat in
place read up on the subjects in question and do lots of listening.
If you are already enjoying your current music/playback system, keep on
doing so and don't get too worked up about these things.
On the other hand if audio electronics/physics/etc holds a fascination then
start the learning process from ground up.

Over at forums such as diy audio : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php?

And diyhifi :http://www.diyhifi.org/

There are often in depth and heated debates covering all manner of audio