[Resolved] Repair Manual for Fostex? (TH610)
Dec 29, 2019 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eduncan911

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have any advice in repairing Fostex headphones? Specifically the hanger that mounts the earpiece to the headband.

Or a service manual for these would work. I've emailed them without a response (maybe the holidays).

/TL;DR

An utterly rude person on an international flight shoved me out of the way to get an alcoholic drink before getting off the plane. I fell backwards and my backpack hit the laboratory door. Unfortunately, my TH-610 set was in the outer most pocket and i didn't know they took the full brunt of force until I got to the hotel.

IMG_20181216_002503.jpg IMG_20181216_002442.jpg

In talking with AM&S (a licensed repair shop for Fostex), they pointed me to the part I need to replace:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/54...lacement-hanger-for-th-600-th-610-th-900-mkii

$50 for a plastic ring? Ok, I'll bite...

AM&S offered to repair it at a cost of $65/hr with no real estimate (he guessed maybe 30 minutes to an hour). That's over $110 for a plastic part.

But looking at my headphones, it's just a single screw holding it in. Simple enough.

However, you can't reach the screw without removing the ear cup from the hanger - and I don't see a clear way to remove the hanger from the ear cup. Maybe it's held in with a screw on the inside, which would mean I need to tear down the entire ear-cup to get to.

I'd rather have a service manual first though.

Has anyone attempted such an repair?

Is there someone on this form that could perform this service instead?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Use some car glaze and then polish with carnauba wax. If that doesn't help you're into putty and serious refinishing.

May 10, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 8
For the record everyone, I was able to obtain an Exploded View and Parts List - which was enough to go by for ordering, and for the repair (by looking at the Exploded View).

As far as the repair tips:
  • The e-clips are too small for normal eclip pliers. I just used a set of pliers to force off, bent back into shape, and force back on. Those worrying about the fragility of bending metal e-clips, just buy more from the same retailer. But their fine.
  • The "hard glue" material covering those e-clips is some form of JBWeld-like material. Just scrape it off with a small screw driver. When re-assembling, whip up another batch of JBWeld and dip a few drops on the e-clips.
I think that's all there was.

Attachments

• TH_SERIES_Parts_List_NEW_r4_AMS.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • TH_SERIES_Exploded_View_NEW3_AMS.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 31, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 8
OP, how did you end up removing the hanger/yoke from the plastic ring it attaches to, or was that not necessary for your fix?

I have a broken yoke, and I ordered the replacement part from fullcompass, but I can’t figure out how to remove the remainder of the old yoke from the cup. The yokes are held into place by what fullcompass calls “shafts” (are these your eclips?)

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/539593-fostex-1420606309-shaft-for-th900-th600-th500rp

These aren’t threaded, so I don’t see a way to insecure them. I tried prying them out with a plyers, but they won’t budge

Is the answer just to apply more force, or is there a trick, like to get behind it and push it out with a pin?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back