Resistors? Is there such thing as good resistors?
Feb 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 23
Yes; if you want to search further I'd suggest searching for "boutique resistors;" searching for "good resistors" brings up this thread as the top result and then many of the DIY build threads.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 23
TX2575

nothing comes close for the application

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 23
There were a lot of carbon comp and carbon film resistors that were made with Boutique'iness in mind but have fallen out of production (you can still find them thou).
There are current production metal film ones like PRP PR9372, Takman, Caddock, ect.
The ones qusp mentioned (Vishay TX2575) are a "naked" version of there most advanced precision resistor (they were originally intended for sensing applications I think).
pcX has a large stock of fancy ones Parts ConneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 23
indeed PCX has them now and a decent range too, but 'only' 1% where buying direct from texas components you can get up to 0.005% resolution in both absolute and relative matching. hey Nattonrice ;D
cool.gif
bad for the wallet tho

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 23
There have been people who've built entire amps using Caddocks and claimed to notice a big difference (improvement) between that and using standard V-D's. The expense is enormous, though, and the effect probably varies with amp design.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bad for the wallet tho

I hate you... =P

Should be mentioned that while they offer ridiculous specs they also come bonus with an equally ridiculous price
confused_face.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate you... =P

Should be mentioned that while they offer ridiculous specs they also come bonus with an equally ridiculous price
confused_face.gif

Yep, I think the TX2575 resistors cost around $20-30 each. I can see using a couple for the shunt resistors for a volume control, but using them for an entire amp seems excessive (do we really need 0.005% accurate biasing resistors, for example?).

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 23
I haven't that much experience from "resistor rolling". I've tried PRP, Panasonic, Firstronics metal film and no-name carbon film. If there's an audible difference it's minor and greatly overshadowed by the coloration of the active parts (transistors, opamps) and the amplifier's design. Until you use the best transistors (Sanyo, Toshiba, Sanken), opamps (eg OPA827, AD797) and well designed amp, I don't think you should worry about resistors.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I think the TX2575 resistors cost around $20-30 each. I can see using a couple for the shunt resistors for a volume control, but using them for an entire amp seems excessive (do we really need 0.005% accurate biasing resistors, for example?).

For the tightest set-wise and then absolute-wise matching it is around that, yup.
If you push the requested values towards the upper limit we discovered they get closer to 40 bucks a pop in small quantities... snap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back